ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Ray Buchanan has Rams on his radar...

I was watching Total Access on the NFL Network with Rich Eisen. Ray Buchanan is a guest for the remainder of this week and in an interview at the end of the show Eisen was asking about where he'd be playing this year. Ray said he'd like to resign with the Raiders but also has Atlanta, Arizona, and St. Louis on his radar.

This guy was a playmaker as a CB for the Falcons, but age has started to catch up to him. I've heard conflicting reports about his performance at FS last year for the Raiders, some calling him 'no-play' Ray, others saying he's still a valuable playmaker in the secondary.

He had 91 tackles and an INT at FS for the Raiders last season but it's hard to judge DB's by stats alone. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

general counsel Guest

Re: Ray Buchanan has Rams on his radar...

I think that the statement "age is beginning to catch up with him" is one of the great understatements of recent memory. Kind of like saying jamie duncan has "some issues" tackling.

I think he is several years past his prime. I am not saying that for the veteran minimum there is anything wrong with having him come in and compete for a job, but i just dont see him having any real value to us at this point. No way can this guy play corner anymore and as a safety, again, maybe as part of the mix, but i would prefer a younger guy stronger on special teams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Is he a poor-man's Aeneas? Personally, I have my doubts. He'll be nearly 34 when the season starts and really has not been a playmaker since 2001, IMHO. But he did manage 91 tackles last year for Oakland which is equal to the combined tackles of our FS assortment (Aeneas, Edwards, Lucas, Lassiter) from last year. I'd hate to hold one of the rookies back, but I'd hate to count on one to start too. He might be worth a look.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel Guest

Poor man's aeneas is a good analogy. So poor that he cant afford a bus ticket. Sure he had some tackles last year, and i am not saying that he isnt worth a look for the minimum, but i dont see how he is going to help on special teams.

general counsel

jkramsfan Guest

I Agree With Gc, Lets Pass On Ray Even For The League Minimum.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I agree lets pass on Ray, I would much rather pursue a guy like Lance Shulters.
    Just Fix It

I wouldn't look to him for anything but depth. I say welet the Falcons have him, meanwhile we grat Rammiser's wish and sign Lance Schulters.

Reading between the lines though, I think it's a sign that the Rams are looking to add another safety.

psycho9985 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    I wouldn't look to him for anything but depth. I say welet the Falcons have him, meanwhile we grat Rammiser's wish and sign Lance Schulters.

Reading between the lines though, I think it's a sign that the Rams are looking to add another safety.
    Hang tight Zig I'm working on it.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Thanks but no thanks. Vet minimum to compete for a roster spot, at best.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 Guest

We need a savey vet back there...take over were Aeneas left off.

theodus69 Guest

he could be a great mentor and a good locker room presence. we need help back there!

The more I read, the more I'd like him to land with the safety searching Whiners.

theodus69 Guest

Even what we have required, we still need help. maybe not him , but who? And what the hell are you doing up so late?

Lance Schulters would be the ideal addition. Ty Law is an option if we want to deal with the Postons. Corey Chavous could be on his way out in Minnesota.

We've got the cap room. Let's make something happen.

I'm up so late because this is my night. My morning starts around noon. I love the night life. I love to boogie. :redface: