Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richbert88 is online now Registered User

Thumbs down RE: Carriker, from NFL.COM

Carriker, the first-round draft pick and new nose tackle, helped anchor a strong interior effort against Vikings rookie running back Adrian Peterson -- who carried 11 times for 33 yards.

"By no means was it perfect, but it was a good start," Carriker said.

Minnesota's Matt Birk, who lined up across from him, told Rams coach Scott Linehan he was impressed.

"Matt said, 'He's a load. He's a handful. He's a heck of a player,"' Linehan said. "That coming from a Pro Bowl center says a lot."

This is all that needs to be said on the issue of whether or not Carriker can make the transition and improve the play at NT. But we all know this didn't we.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-11-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: easier to read

Semper Fi!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Carriker, from NFL.COM

This guys gonna have a real shot at defensive rookie of the year. Heck, if he can play like he was playing tonight, and continue to get more respect from people, he may have a Pro Bowl shot.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Wow, that comming from a pro bowler may have some real meaning. Lets hope he gets even better during the preseason and stays healthy.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I haven't been one to heap praise on Carriker because of his alledged camp performance, taking a wait-and-see approach, but Carriker looked good last night. First off he's STRONG, he does NOT get pushed around in there, the initial contact does not move him backwards (like what always happened with Jimmy Kennedy), he holds his ground well. Didn't really see him on pass plays where he kind of disappeared, but he looked solid in run defense clogging the middle up well like he should and sometimes forcing the runner to take a different lane. His attitude looks good, it was clear last night he was there to work, good effort. Promising performance I must say.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    I haven't been one to heap praise on Carriker because of his alledged camp performance, taking a wait-and-see approach, but Carriker looked good last night. First off he's STRONG, he does NOT get pushed around in there, the initial contact does not move him backwards (like what always happened with Jimmy Kennedy), he holds his ground well. Didn't really see him on pass plays where he kind of disappeared, but he looked solid in run defense clogging the middle up well like he should and sometimes forcing the runner to take a different lane. His attitude looks good, it was clear last night he was there to work, good effort. Promising performance I must say.
    You know, camp reports have been archived in 2 different places (successively) since 99.

And if you look back at them, reading them as a group every summer (ie. reading every summer's group as a group), they are very accurate about the high draft picks.

And if you read them from 99 up, NO player every got the praise Carriker is getting---with the exception of Holt. More than that, the criticism of each player that you gather from reading several reports is deadly accurate. Archuletta can't cover, Pickett is way too green, Thomas does nothing, Kennedy has no motor......

...it's actually not a safe bet to dismiss camp reports (taken as a group).

The collective wisdom of camp reports has been proven time in and time out.

That's not based on an abstraction---it';s what the real evidence shows. IE if you actually read them, they give an excellent collective picture of how high picks look in camp, and THAT picture is almost uncanny in how well it predicts how someone's career will be with the Rams. Again---that's the evidence. That's what the record demonstrates.

So, it's not his "alleged" performance in camp, it was his actual performance in camp. And all your positives you list here? You're just echoing what the reports have already been saying for 2 weeks, almost word for word. Not saying you copied them---but, good camp reporters already saw all that stuff, to the detail, and reported to us faithfully. So, in the future, we ought to listen to those guys.

Now what a camp report CAN'T do is predict how someone will play in a given season. That is, for example, right now, who knows how well Carriker will do this season---will he struggle as all rookies do then come back stronger in year 2, etc? Okay, but, what camp reports DO do---with uncanny regularity---is give an accurate picture of 1. attitude: approach to the game, motor, intensity, professionalism, "player personality," competitiveness, willingness to work, and 2. talent (degree and kind), and 3. level of development: how "pro ready" a player is, whether he's "getting it," how steep his learning curve is. But then it turns out those 3 things combined are deeply good indicators of how someone's career will go longterm. Again. This is the evidence talking. That's what camp reports have actually done since 99 (when they first started getting archived.)

. . .
    Last edited by z.nrd; -08-11-2007 at 09:17 AM.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    And if you look back at them, reading them as a group every summer (ie. reading every summer's group as a group), they are very accurate about the high draft picks.
    They may be more accurate about the high draft picks (which are always easier to evaluate), but the camp reports on the whole are always very very positive. There's always praise for unknown players (unsigned free agents, practice squad players etc.) to the point you start to expect them to pushing for playing time - if you read the reports at face value -, and then most of them end up getting cut before preseason is over. I would have to say they are not all that accurate on the high picks either (although again, they are arguably *more* accurate), last year we all listened to Jim Haslett raving about how well Jimmy Kennedy was coming along as our new nose tackle just to pick one relevant example. So I'm not sure I can agree that camp reports are very accurate, even on the high picks, do you have any old camp reports lying around talking about all the problems Jimmy Kennedy/Damione Lewis/Trung Canidate were having? The reports may have been accurate, but I doubt it, I don't remember reading realistic reports about these players back then.

So, it's not his "alleged" performance in camp, it was his actual performance in camp.
    The reason I say "alleged" is simply that I haven't seen any tape of him in camp, nor was I there in person. So to me, all I'm basing my opinion on is 2nd hand (at best) accounts.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

This is exactly what I want to here!

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    They may be more accurate about the high draft picks (which are always easier to evaluate), but the camp reports on the whole are always very very positive. There's always praise for unknown players (unsigned free agents, practice squad players etc.) to the point you start to expect them to pushing for playing time - if you read the reports at face value -, and then most of them end up getting cut before preseason is over. I would have to say they are not all that accurate on the high picks either (although again, they are arguably *more* accurate), last year we all listened to Jim Haslett raving about how well Jimmy Kennedy was coming along as our new nose tackle just to pick one relevant example. So I'm not sure I can agree that camp reports are very accurate, even on the high picks, do you have any old camp reports lying around talking about all the problems Jimmy Kennedy/Damione Lewis/Trung Canidate were having? The reports may have been accurate, but I doubt it, I don't remember reading realistic reports about these players back then.
    We're not reading the same reports then. Cause this tendency to push unknown players---I have never seen it. And remember the reports are archived. What I DO see is mixed comments on kids fighting for roster spots, but it's never a universal, consistent, over-the-top thing. And they ARE accurate on the high picks, if you listen to what I said: taken as a group, read as a bunch, the reports do reflect what you will see from the player's career. And that's simply empirical---it';s not a matter of mere opinion. Name a player, a high pick. Read the camp reports on him AS A GROUP from his first camp. And they ARE accurate. Not "I think they're accurate," not "IMO they're accurate"---they're accurate. Meaning. If you look back on a summer's worth of camp reports, and focus on any particular high pick, then, what actually DOES happen to that player was amazingly well forecast in the reports. There is no exceptionI can think of.

JIm Haslett doesn't write camp reports, camp reports don't quote Jim Haslett, and Haslett is a notorious coach-speaker who will praise a player in public for motivation. If you look back this summer, actually, I don't think there's a single remark about Carriker from Haslett, so what ever he coach-spoke about Kennedy isn't pertinent. (And the camp reports were not high on Kennedy last summer btw).

And yes, like I said, the old camp reports are all archived. I don't have them "lying around," but I do know the links to find where they were archived, going back to 99. And yes at different times over the years I have re-read them, which is why I say what I say. If you want the links just PM me.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The collective wisdom of camp reports has been proven time in and time out.
    I disagree (and you really need to stop describing your opinions as proven fact).

From my recollection (and you may have picked up on the fact that I spend a bit of time on message boards), there have been as many off target reports as there have been on target. Some people raved about Archuleta. Some people claimed Jackson danced too much and would never be effective (even in last year's preseason). Some people thought Trung Canidate was going to be a star.

I have high hopes for Carriker. But those hopes are grounded upon what coaches and, after one preseason game, opposing players say. Its not based upon what fans think.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's please try to keep this thread on its original topic - Adam Carriker's performance and the comments made by Matt Birk.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The common thread in the praise for Carriker from both the coaches and now Birk is that he seems to understand and accept the role of a NT. Essentially, its more about being the "immovable object" than it is about being the "irresistable force." If he can be "immovable," those around him (Glover, Wroten, Witherspoon, etc.) will be the the "forces" making a lot of tackles at or near the line of scrimmage.

Rambos is offline Registered User

(and you may have picked up on the fact that I spend a bit of time on message boards)

Yeah you have been here a bit, Is that power rep of 19 a typo?

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The common thread in the praise for Carriker from both the coaches and now Birk is that he seems to understand and accept the role of a NT. Essentially, its more about being the "immovable object" than it is about being the "irresistable force." If he can be "immovable," those around him (Glover, Wroten, Witherspoon, etc.) will be the the "forces" making a lot of tackles at or near the line of scrimmage.
    A lot of that's true. That's part of the praise of him.

There's more said about him though---and it's holding up.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Two plays by Carriker really stood out for me last night. The first, I believe, was on one of Peterson's first run plays. Birk tried to box Carriker out and keep him away from the action, but Carriker just snuck right by him to get into the backfield and get near the runner. I'd have to see the play again, but it would seem as if Carriker was just too quick for Birk, and by the time Birk made his move to redirect Adam, he was already halfway by him.

The second play was on an inside run, I think another Peterson run. Carriker wasn't able to break his block and make the play on this one, but I was just impressed because he was able to drive Birk well into the backfield. Now Birk is not really a pure strength player and is rather more of a smart leverage guy, so this wasn't really an outstanding feat of strength on Adam's part. But regardless, it's always nice seeing one of our defensive tackles win those kind of battles.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Anyone have this recorded by any chance??

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast