eldfan is offline Registered User

Re-evaluating Alex Barron

Re-evaluating Alex Barron
    by VanRam on Feb 10, 2009 6:56 AM CST in 2009 Off-Season (SI)

Rejuvenated with a straight six hours of sleep, no small accomplishment for a new father, I'm going to start the morning with a little devil's advocate. No, not that horrible movie with Al Pacinio (remember when he did movies for more than just a paycheck?), but with a question about a Rams player without much standing 'round these parts. So let's ask, does Alex Barron deserve yet another chance?

All the o-line talk lately has focused on the Rams potentially cutting future Hall of Famer Orlando Pace. What goes unsaid in those conversations is parting ways with Pace means Alex Barron is definitely part of the Rams plans for 2009, and possibly beyond, even if they do draft an OT with the second overall pick in the draft. Let's look at the pros and cons.

Pros & Excuses

Barron has been healthy, the one Rams lineman who hasn't been forced to the sidelines for any amount of time in the last three years because of injury. That's no small feat given the context. Barron's also decent in run blocking and adequate in pass protection. No Pro Bowler, but a starting level OT.

Being healthy in the midst of the line's injury epidemic forced Barron to move back and forth between the left and right OT spots, doubtlessly confusing a young man suffering from a lack of coaching to begin with. Lack of coaching? Sure, think about it. Barron's rookie season was 2005, a year of turmoil at Rams Parks, where attention to on-field matters was minimal. After that came the overwhelmed Scott Linehan, unable to instill a winning mentality in his players and soon beset by veterans openly questioning him. Those conditions aren't particularly conducive to developing the latent talent in a young player.

Cons

Barron never met a false start he didn't like. I'm not a player, but it still seems strange that a guy just can't get the snap count figured out after four seasons. Sure, Barron was much better this season, losing the team penalty crown to Richie Incognito. Nevertheless, he still had 9 penalties (11 when you count the ones declined), 7 false starts. How much damn coaching does it take?

Bad teams pay a price for hanging on to unrealized potential, waiting for a player's talent to manifest itself while it never does. And the Rams are certainly in that territory with Barron. However, Barron is relatively cheap and you can argue that his shortcomings don't outweigh the benefit of him being a competent everyday starter.

Ideally, the team would have someone to push him, a competitor threatening to take his livelihood. That could be John Greco, but he seem more suited to the middle of the line. And if Pace's salary and age have put a target on his back, that most certainly means Barron's going nowhere. The Rams limited resources combined with lots of needs means signing two starting tackles is out of the question. It's not the worst thing. With upgrades at C and the other tackle spot, the line would greatly improve, hiding Barron's struggles somewhat. Maybe the new coaching staff, led by Steve Spagnuolo can breath some new life, even some passion, into Barron.

:ramlogo:

Jockelite is offline Registered User

Re: Re-evaluating Alex Barron

I belive one more year, if this poor showing continues than he is out next season, Spagnoulo will not stand for incompetence.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Well I'm giving him one more year. We don't have a choice. If he screws it up next season with the penalties, bye bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Just how much longer must we seriously put up with this misfit???? In the 2008 season,
    he was THE MOST PENALIZED PLAYER IN THE ENTIRE NFL!!!!!!!! If he has NOT learned NFL football in 4 seasons, what in God's name makes you believe that suddenly in 2009 hr will be completely changed???? Do you believe in the "Easter Bunny" too????????

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He's signed through 2009. May as well give him one more year, though at this point he'd have to have a near Pro Bowl season for me to consider keeping him.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Agreed. Yes, keep AB one more year to "prove" himself. He may not do justice to his name as far as nobility titles go but, hopefully, t h i s year he'll earn his right to remain a starter and help improve our OL!

ramstiles is offline Registered User

and when he leaves and signs for another team the penny will drop and he will understand whats needed to be a good starting OT and we will all moan

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

The only reason I'm going to give him one more year to prove himself is, as Nick said, that he's already signed for 2009 so we might as well keep him since it doesn't cost much and we don't have a lot of other great tackles waiting to take the field in his place. But I definitely agree with the saying that bad teams hang on to hope and "potential" and keep players like Barron for years waiting to see something where good teams are usually less forgiving. The same goes for Incognito, I think we're all fed up with hearing of his so-called potential. Barron and Incognito - they've been here for years we need to see it on the field and we need to see it NOW. Forget potential and talent and excuses, we need results from these guys right now.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I still root for him only for his toughness. He was the only guy on the line to stay in the game the entire season, and for that you have to give him some props.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    and when he leaves and signs for another team the penny will drop and he will understand whats needed to be a good starting OT and we will all moan
    If I had to guess, I bet he shows up this season and has a good year because he'll finally be faced with the ultimate motivator - money. A good year means a better chance at a larger free agent contract.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Barron will be a Ram in '09 because:

a) He is cheap for a durable experienced OT

b) The penalties problem isn't good but he's on a team where o-linemen, inc the beloved Pace, false start ALOT. He's not even the most penalized player on the line,never mind the league,see F. Adams,Cowboys, @ 13 pens in '08. Not sure if that's the NFL's worst but AB had 9 in '08.

Incidentally, J Gross had 10 pens, inc 7 FS, last year.

At what point do you have to look at other factors to explain our o-line's false start-itis? Other than line coaching, maybe poor interior line play in general & over-use of shotgun formations to compensate, overly-complicated line calls forced on the QB by pseudo-clever OCs or some weirdness in QB cadence, merit looking into,imo.

c) He is physically & temperamentally better suited to LT.

He allowed 3.5 sacks in '07 @ LT.That was down from 8.75 in '06.The false starts also went down from 13 to 9 in those 2 yrs filling in for Pace.Not great but not a bad rate of improvement for a guy playing the toughest o-line position for the first time on that weak/decimated unit with a QB who could barely walk, never mind scramble most of the time & piss-poor blocking support from the RBs and TEs.

Not only do I think we are stuck with AB but I believe we need to stick with him as a possible starting LT for at least the early part of the '09 season. Pace is too old,injury-prone, and expensive by comparison. And Barron's low cost,experience,durability, versatility, and physical talent make him a much better back-up option than either Pace or Goldberg.

I hope we go OT with our first pick but that doesn't mean I want a rookie/ past-his-prime star/journeyman protecting MB's blindside in game 1.

Lots of things need to happen to improve our offense but the necessity or even advisability of getting rid of Barron doesn't even come close to topping my list, especially before FA and the draft.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -02-11-2009 at 04:27 PM.