Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re-sign Steven Jackson Now? Maybe Not.

There are some who have argued that re-signing Steven Jackson, who has one year left on his contract, is an immediate priority.

My response: maybe.

When it comes to RBs, two facts have been repeatedly demonstrated: (1) they have a short shelf life, and (2) rookies at the position succeed every year.

Given these facts, there is a strong argument in favor of waiting until after the 2008 season to try to re-sign Jackson. If he stays healthy and has a big year, the Rams will have to pay him accordingly. But its not like he'd come cheap today. On the other hand, if he is injured in 2008, either his price will be reduced, or the Rams might consider moving forward with a rookie in 2009.

The only way I'd rush to sign Jackson now is if he (and his agent) accept that the price of getting the big payday this year is taking a bit less in the long run.

Otherwise, I'd wait.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Re-sign Steven Jackson Now? Maybe Not.

Although I do agree for the most part. Are there any stud runningbacks on the horizon at the college level?

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

One thing you can be sure of is (barring injury) players typically have career years at the end of a contract. Your right AV every year someone glanced over by all of the scouts comes in his rookie year and shreds. S. Alexander's salary is killing the Hags cap and he ain't got much left in the tank IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

One right now....in this draft, who is projected to be the best athelete. Darren McFadden. Howard Balzer has some very interesting views on why the Rams should take McFadden and shouldn't take McFadden. Main issues are the salary cap hit. McFadden is going to get high dollar if he goes #2. That means we have Jackson and McFadden at top dollar with no way possible to sign Jackson after this year.

I could see the Rams really looking hard at McFadden if a contract with Jackson can't be worked out by draft day.

Rambos is offline Registered User

SJ will have a big year in 08 and I have always said he will cost a ton to keep. We will have to tag him over the next few years. His contract would be 100 Mil to sign him long term.
    It will be a classic Ram mess trying to get a deal done with SJ. Don't get me wrong I want to lock him up, just won't happen.

You don't even necessarily have to take a RB in the first round. Look at this list of backs taken in later rounds in the last few years:

Maurice Jones-Drew
    Frank Gore
    Marion Barber
    Brandon Jacobs
    Brian Westbrook
    Michael Turner
    Clinton Portis

I'm not saying that the Rams should just cut Jackson loose after this year. I'm just saying that a wait-and-see approach has merit.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Good point Av....and this year's deep crop of running backs will reach into rounds 2 and 3.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I see what you mean, but I really hope they resign him. He's gonna make it big in 08.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

You are right to a certain extent but a running back of Steven Jackson's calibur does not come around very often.Other than Adrian Peterson, name a running back out of the last 4 drafts that compares to Action Jackson's numbers???

Reggie Bush?? please
    Lendale White?? solid numbers but no where near SJ
    Marshawn Lynch??? solid but no
    Lawrence Maroney... on his very best pro day, he is still only a poor man's version of SJ
    Adrian Peterson- YES
    tatum bell-no
    Kevin Jones- no
    cadillac william- no
    Ronnie Brown- he shows flahses last season

WHAT I'M GETTING AT HERE IS THAT A PLAYER OF STEVEN JACKSON'S ABILITY IS ONCE IN A CAREER... EVERY 10 YEARS MAYBE 2 0R 3 PLAYERS HAVE THAT KIND OF ABILITY... WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE STEVEN JACKSON THANKS TO BILL PARCELLS BLUNDER AND NEED TO WRAP HIM UP NOW!!!!

Will51 is offline Registered User

i dont think we should even dicuss jackson not being a ram. i dont care how much money it takes we have to resign him, he is the only back i know of with the speed, power, and ability to catch out of the back field and he is a team player who wants to go the the superbowl. just having his presence on the field is scary enough to any team. we have a franchise back for years to come so lets not let him go to another team and have him be the next barry sanders

Remember, the issue here is not "sign" or "let go." Its "sign now" or "wait and see."

While I agree that re-signing Jackson will be a top priority if he is still healthy at the end of 2008 (and there is a cost associated with waiting for that situation to occur), I'd hate to sign him now for top dollar only to see him get injured, when we can simply wait and let him play out his current contract.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Although I do agree for the most part. Are there any stud runningbacks on the horizon at the college level?
    Chris "Beanie" Wells out of The Ohio State University will be a junior next year and he is a big back with a little bit of speed.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I understand RB's have short shelf-lives, but Jackson is only 25 and is about to enter the prime of his career where he gives us a great shot to make the playoffs every weekend. There are not many running backs who strike fear into the eyes of the defense pre-snap like SJ, and not alot that can consistently catch swing passes out of the backfield or dump offs that could be broken for big yards. As long as he stays healthy, Jackson will be a threat for another 3-4 seasons atleast.

I can see him getting a contract that is six years long for 80-85 mil that is backloaded heavily in the last two years of the contract but he would be able to make a healthy amount in incentives. IMO, that's what it will take to keep Jackson whether it be before this year or after the next but the problem witht that is if he has a monster season that number goes even higher. I pray we keep him because he is a key cog in our offense that can not be easily replaced through the draft.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -03-18-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Av does make some really good points but my feeling is we need to re-sign SJ. The guy always plays 110 %. He runs over people. I also feel he is going to have a hugh 08 season.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I want him signed soon. If we wait and he has a monster year it'll cost us even more to keep him around, and by doing that we might not have enough to sign peopleduring next years FA period or re-sign our own players. I say we dont wait and lock him up now and hope he doesnt get hurt. S Jax is a beast, he is a Ram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-18-2008, 03:59 PM