Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Re: Re-sign Steven Jackson Now? Maybe Not.

If they don't sign him, it will be the Rams loss
    But someone else's team's gain!

April Easter Bunnies!

rammiser is offline Registered User

I say if the Rams front office is smart they should be pushing hard to sign him now because he is coming off a season where he missed four games and it was not a great season. If I was his agent I would want jackson to wait untill after next season and hope for a big one to garner a bigger contract. So if the Rams front office is so smart they should be trying to get him signed now. I would like to see him get locked up but I'm sure the Rams front office and all their super smart college grads will let him go just like the Bus was let go because they thought he was done because of one bad year. No thanks on Mcfadden I dont want him and no he isnt the next Adrian Peterson in my opinion. Any team who lets a top 5 back go at the prime age of 25 isnt looking to win a Superbowl. So in my opinion they should sign him NOW!
    Just Fix It

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Wow. The last few posts are right. If we don't sign him during camp, and he has a probowl year, we're looking at possibly cutting more players next year to keep SJAX on the Rams.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As I said in my original post, if he would take a bit less now, it would make sense to sign him before his price potentially goes through the roof.

I have my doubts, though, that he'd accept anything less than the type of money being paid to the top RBs in the league (if not more).

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As I said in my original post, if he would take a bit less now, it would make sense to sign him before his price potentially goes through the roof.

I have my doubts, though, that he'd accept anything less than the type of money being paid to the top RBs in the league (if not more).

I agree with you Jackson and his agent arent stupid they know he is a top 5 if not top 3 back and I doubt they take a lesser contract especially after a 3-13 season. If we went 13-3 maybe they take less to play for a winner but to take less and play for a 3-13 team not so inviting.
    Just Fix It

itsguud is offline Registered User

I believe that he needs to be signed at all costs but I don't believe in signing a player before his contract is up. I think wait until next year either way.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I say wait. It will give him drive to preform. Honestly, I don't think the Rams would get much of a deal if they signed him now anyway. Franchise him next year if you have to and the year after that. With the "shelf life" being what it is with RB's I would prefer to pay up front an inflated salary then have the franchise held hostage by a monster contract on a hobbled RB for years.

SJ is a very good RB maybe even great. I think putting an S on his chest is just unrealistic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I think Av has a good point. And the Rams might be waiting to see how Jackson is going to hold up this year. SJ is a big pounding back with good speed, a very rare combo. With the pounding his body has taken over the last year & with a often injured line it makes me wonder is he too just one play away from a big injury or a big year if the line is healthy. Throw in what Jackson may be thinking for himself down the road ( big payday & playing behind a great line so he can maximize his talents).
    So waiting may not be a bad option. Because were talking about a huge contract & we want to make sure he is healthy. The back right now is my biggest concern,. I have dealt with disc problems in my back for sometime & I can tell you they can be debilitating, limiting you to what you can & can not do, it can tax you not only physically but mentally as well.
    So from the Rams side I want to make sure Jackson can hold up during the season & from Jackson side lets see what the Rams can do to put up a healthy & cohiesive line so he can maxmize his talent in St. Louis.

RANDYRAM Guest

THIS is why I would get Chris Johnson of ECU in rd 2 this would give the rams
    a option this guy runs 4.24 40 catches well and is a KR!!
    If the rams and Mr Jackson don't reach an agreement they have a option

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-18-2008, 03:59 PM