View Poll Results: Reaction to Prospect of Martz Leaving

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • This will be bad for the Rams.

18 47.37%
  • Its for the best. A house divided cannot stand.

7 18.42%
  • Its time for the team to go in another, more conventional, direction.

5 13.16%
  • Makes no difference - the team doesn't have enough talent regardless of who the coach is.

3 7.89%
  • Its about time!

5 13.16%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Reaction to Prospect of Martz Leaving

Which best describes your gut response?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Reaction to Prospect of Martz Leaving

Confusion.

He has been a good coach. The record is acceptable and the Rams have made the playoffs 4 of his 5 seasons. Sure he has had some problems, some of which he is accountable for, and some I'm not sure who is accountable for.

The Rams have a lot invested in Martz. The FO seemed to be in love with him after SB-34. His players reportedly love playing for him. It has been a camelot of sorts.

So what has caused the souring?

Definately confused.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I said it makes no difference due to the fact we don't have enough talent to win it.

Who do we have on defense besides Little? Lot's of promise in the fashion of Pickett, Kennedy, and Hargrove but no playmakers in the LB corp or the Secondary. All of our hopes are on the offensive side of the ball, and this front office wants to push out the man who is still feared by DC's all over the league.

Alright, that's fine. However, this Rams team will be completely different by training camp next year you watch.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Its for the best!
    RamsFan16

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I think we will be better next year then we were this year or last year no matter who we put in there. The players will be healthy, some of the younger players will have another year experience, and we will focus on building the D in the off-season.

As for Martz I would like for him to stay as an O coordinator but that wont happen. As far as HC I want him to stay, no I want him to go, no I want him to stay, Ummmmmmmmmmm, sorry was I thinking out loud again I meant I am a little undecided.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Some people say it's better to have a divided Management. When all agree,things don't always work out. But I have always felt Martz was a bit of a baby and when It wasn't his way it was FIT TIME! He also hasn't got the Rams over the hump! It's time to move on!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I voted that it will be bad for the Rams because that was my initial reaction. Though if I were making a prognostication, it's really hard to predict.

If the Rams make Vitt the head coach and keep Fairchild, the offense will be a question mark in my opinion, because I've seen no evidence that Fairchild can develop and evolve the offense through the years like Martz has.

Furthermore, we have no idea how good of an eye for offensive talent Fairchild has. Martz is the man when it comes to quarterbacks - Green, Warner, Bulger. Can Fairchild hold a flame to that? If Fairchild would have any benefit, it's that Martz has already stocked this team with some very good young players - Bulger, Jackson, Curtis, McDonald, Terrell, Barron.

Then, you've got to wonder what happens if a new guy comes in. He'll probably bring his own offense with him, which will involve different terminology and may or may not play up to our team's strengths. It's fairly clear that, unless the Rams manage to bring in someone familiar with running offenses that regularly feature four WRs, we're going to have some dead weight at that position.

Can you imagine what happens to Bruce if the Rams bring in a coach that wants to pound the ball with Jackson? The Rams already have Curtis and McDonald, two capable young options, and obviously Torry Holt. Bruce, the aging veteran making $6,500,000 in salary alone, will probably show the door, because why would he want to restructure and stay loyal to an organization that fires a coach that - according to a number of reports - is very well liked by his players?

If Martz leaves, I honestly don't see much short term success for the Rams in the next year or two. After that time, maybe the new coach is able to bring in the pieces he wants and can do something. But even if he does, that doesn't guarantee he'll be a success in this league, because successful NFL coaches like Mike Martz (like him or not, his record speaks for itself) aren't exactly a dime a dozen.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Furthermore, we have no idea how good of an eye for offensive talent Fairchild has. Martz is the man when it comes to quarterbacks - Green, Warner, Bulger. Can Fairchild hold a flame to that?
    That's the scary thing, Martz has an uncanny ability to find and develop QBs.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

If the Rams make Vitt the head coach and keep Fairchild, the offense will be a question mark in my opinion, because I've seen no evidence that Fairchild can develop and evolve the offense through the years like Martz has.
    Some fans are saying the offense has not evolved and has become stale? I wonder which it is? Martz has not given Fairchild a chance because he is a control freak. (Martz trying to phone in a play suggestion) I'm not saying that being a control freak is a bad thing, just pointing it out. Fairchild has mentored under Martz and I'm sure he has learned many things. Martz has often said that he thinks Fairchild could run the offense, so, I would think a vote of confidence from the man himself would negate any major concerns about Fairchild.

Furthermore, we have no idea how good of an eye for offensive talent Fairchild has.
    Do we have that good of an idea about Martz' eye? With the recent squabbles in the FO I am confused as to how much input Martz has with personnel. Regardless, the Rams have not hit 100% with all of the offensive players that they have brought in under Martz.

Martz is the man when it comes to quarterbacks - Green, Warner, Bulger. Can Fairchild hold a flame to that?
    If he has been taking notes I don't see why not. He has first hand knowledge of any trade secrets or QB development magic that one might think exists.

Then, you've got to wonder what happens if a new guy comes in. He'll probably bring his own offense with him, which will involve different terminology and may or may not play up to our team's strengths.
    I don't see the concern here. Plays are plays. Execution is execution. Small learning curve given the complex offense that is now in place.

It's fairly clear that, unless the Rams manage to bring in someone familiar with running offenses that regularly feature four WRs, we're going to have some dead weight at that position.
    So what? Trade one of the WR's for defensive help. How often have the Rams been using the 4 sets this season with the two tight end sets?

Bruce, the aging veteran making $6,500,000 in salary alone, will probably show the door, because why would he want to restructure and stay loyal to an organization that fires a coach that - according to a number of reports - is very well liked by his players?
    Bruce might be shown the door or asked to restructure regardless. Who will want the aging veteran at that price? Every time this type of thing comes up, the first thing you hear from players is, "it's a business". Granted I can't say exactly what Bruce's reaction will be, but I don't see that he has unlimited options. Not only that, he has not played in how many weeks?

If Martz leaves, I honestly don't see much short term success for the Rams in the next year or two.
    Lack of optimism aside and not knowing exactly what you mean by success, why not? It's always rose colored glasses, under Martz, when Rams fans are optimistic and negative thinking when they have doubts. I like Martz, but in my opinion, he is not the beginning and end to head coaching in the NFL.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Bruce, the aging veteran making $6,500,000 in salary alone, will probably show the door, because why would he want to restructure and stay loyal to an organization that fires a coach that - according to a number of reports - is very well liked by his players?
    I am so tired of this excuse about players liking him. That is a useless defense for some underlying problem that people are defending when people make this statement. One reason they could like him is because he is not hard enough on his players and treats them like itís a country club at times.

You always-here people defending MM by saying his players seem to like him. You never here people say that about Parcells you here them talking about his coaching ability. How many players have you heard around the league come out and say they donít like playing for their coach not many maybe 1% at best.

I had a number of coaches in different sports and I can honestly say I did not have a coach I did not like. Some were hard I used to run 6 miles a day for Basketball but they were fair and wanted the best out of the team. The players that complain about a coach are not normally team players and some have attitudes. Maybe they like Martz because at times he runs it like a country club. Its not about if you are liked its about getting the best out of your players. I bet a number of players Parcells coached could say they did not like playing for Parcells but he got results.

Its like being a parent you are not there to be liked you are there to do the right thing to bring your kids up to appreciate things and become productive citizens. Kids would love it if their parent would do what ever they say but the kid would pay the price for it and not become a better person.

Please no more players like him defense.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    Please no more players like him defense.
    I guess it's a good thing I wasn't defending Martz as a coach because of his likability, but rather thinking about how Martz's firing combined with the hiring of a new coach with a different offensive emphasis could have an impact on Bruce's contract negotiations. :up:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I am so tired of this excuse about players liking him.
    The offseason should tell a lot. We've got a ton of FAs hitting the market. I'm guessing most bolt for greener pastures with Martz gone. Call it an excuse if you like, but if players don't enjoy playing for a guy, they take their game somewhere else. I guess we'll see.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    The offseason should tell a lot. We've got a ton of FAs hitting the market. I'm guessing most bolt for greener pastures with Martz gone. Call it an excuse if you like, but if players don't enjoy playing for a guy, they take their game somewhere else. I guess we'll see.
    HUb, you make a good point. I agree that if Martz is not around, there will be beaucoup movement of Ram FA's.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Six easy questions:
    1. What good player do you think will bolt this off-season? That might not have bolted on his own.

2. Who is to say that they wont like their new coach even more?

3. Who is to say that they like MM as much as you think?

4. Do you think that if they do like him it might be because he is soft on them and he in return is not getting enough out of some of them (He definitely is not the Parcells type)?

5. Can you tell me how many current players you know of with their current team are saying they don't like playing for their coach?

6. Who is to say that the defense and ST would not love to have a coach that focuses as much attention their way as MM does on his offense?

I don’t think any good players are going anywhere just because of what happens with the MM saga. If some one new comes in and changes things around we may lose someone because of the new scheme but that don’t mean that we wont gain some one else that’s good and fits the scheme.

Saying the players like him is a totally lame duck excuse for keeping any coach. Almost all coaches in the league are liked by their players. I would bet MM would win on the likeability meter over Parcells by their respective players. However I bet Parcells gets more respect from all his players offense, defense, and ST then MM gets and gets more out of their talent. I would bet if I were coach I could get the players to like me by kissing their ass but I also would not get the most out of them that way. I could take it easy on them and after every game say see you Wed. enjoy time with your family and give them Mon. and Tue. off every week regardless of a win or loss I bet they would like me for that.

To sum up my post keeping a coach because the players like him is a lame excuse!!!!!
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-30-2005 at 12:17 AM.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I think the Martz,F.O. Falling out started with the Turley Debacle.I maybe wrong,but i didnt start hearing grumblings until then.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast