ManofGod is offline Registered User

Reaction and reflections from the third preseason game (St. Louis Rams perspective)

By: Ian Rapoport

Late Saturday night, we gave you some quick-hitting thoughts from the Cowboys third preseason game, with some reaction and reflections. But we kinda ignored the St. Louis Rams.

So… want some Rams tidbits?

– I’ve been fairly positive this offseason on Sam Bradford, who is primed for a bounce-back year. Under new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, I’m thinking Bradford gets back to three-steps-and-out just like the West Coast QB he used to be. Saturday night, however, was not that kind of night. He was 6 of 17 for 64 yards, and he never looked comfortable. The offense didn’t move. “Of course, we want to be more productive,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He missed a couple, and then he got hit too much.” That about sums it up. With a new OC, it’s still a work in progress. But I’m thinking it will be a serious improvement. Bradford wasn’t thrilled after the game. “I think today was probably our worst performance in the games we’ve had so far,” he said. “But we’re still pretty vanilla. We really haven’t shown much. We didn’t really game plan for Dallas, but that’s not an excuse.”

– Another reason Bradford struggled to find rhythm? The WRs weren’t open. Dallas had them on lockdown with CBs Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne, and there was no escape. Bradford was able to find no receiver more than once, and of his 6 completions (in 17 attempts) only three were to receivers. That’s not a good ratio. St. Louis has depth issues all over the place, but definitely at receiver. They’ll need more from rookie Brian Quick (who they like a lot) and fromSteve Smith. Otherwise, Bradford will spend his season settling for dump-offs to running backs on third-and-8.
    – In Saturday’s game, veteran RB Steven Jackson had zero carries. He played on third downs, helping with pass protection, but he had no carries. As he told me in our 1-on-1 interview, “Tonight wasn’t about me, it was about the younger guys behind me.” Coaches wanted to see guys like Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson behind that first-team offensive line, likely because the second OL isn’t good enough to give them a gauge on how productive those runners can be. Richardson impressed with five yards per carry, but it looks like Pead is still a little frantic, going too fast. He’ll need to let it come to him.

– I thought DL Michael Brockers, their first-round pick, is looking good. Disruptive, strong, really good against the run. He had three tackles in this game, and it looks like he’ll be a beast in the middle. The main thing, for a guy that’s really young, is that it doesn’t look too fast for him. He doesn’t appear overwhelmed. “Slowly but surely,” Brockers said, when asked about his progress. “I’m working on my pass rush and getting up field. Getting more comfortable when I am out there, not too wide-eyed out there. I feel like I am coming along very well.”
    – The Rams have an entirely new team, maybe as much turnover as anyone. Considering how terrible they were last year, that was necessary. As Jackson told me, they are close in the locker room as everyone is part of this rebuilding project. They pull pranks on each other just to keep it loose. What’s the best? LB James Laurinaitis had “2,000 crickets in his car. That was a pretty good one,” Jackson said. Yes it was.

– This work in progress isn’t finished, and the Rams could still be looking for help. CornersJanoris Jenkins and Cortland Finnegan both struggled against the Cowboys, and when that happens, this defense will be cooked. For some reason, both were off their game. Jenkins got turned around, and Finnegan was missing tackles. So much will be riding on both of them, they’ll need to constantly bring it. But a bigger issue is at safety. Quintin Mikell and Darian Stewart are fine, and Mikell can be really good. But they need depth there, and I’d be surprised if they didn’t add someone at that spot when teams begin their cuts.

– One more quick thing… While the Rams will likely lock up Laurinaitis with a long-term deal soon, don’t expect the same for Jackson. While he mentioned in an offseason interview that he’d like a contract to retire with the Rams, it doesn’t seem like that’s a priority right now. Jackson has two years left, and now isn’t the time.

** In my humble opinion, this is a pretty accurate account of what happen Saturday, as you all well know I'm a realest in the truest since. With that being said, the following issues will plague us all year and in the end we'll be 4-12 if we are lucky (more likely 3-13).

1. Our lack of a #1 WR continues to be a serious issue, and the fact that our current WR's still struggle to get open against quality talent means we'll be looking at another loooooong season on offense.

2. Our continued lack of a pass rush up the middle: meaning that QB's will continue to be allowed to step up and pick us apart.

3. Our lack of depth: nothing else to say here.

4. At CB, Finnegan has not looked stellar for a while (solid but not stellar), and I believe the contract we gave him was too much for a guy at this stage in his career. Jenkins will be targeted 10-15x a game and will be victimized (after all he's a rookie), next year may be better, but this year he'll be a weak link in the chain.

5. We are the youngest team in the league: this means that we will make A LOT of mistakes going forward, prepare for a roller coaster ride. In other words, get your pepto!

6. Our O-line is close to horrible. B. Richardson is not the answer at RT, and the team would be better served with having Saffold at RT. We still have holes also at LG.

However all is not lost, although we'll go 4-12 at best this year, we should still have 2 top 10 picks int his years draft which brings a great deal of potential for next year!

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Re: Reaction and reflections from the third preseason game (St. Louis Rams perspectiv

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    2. Our continued lack of a pass rush up the middle: meaning that QB's will continue to be allowed to step up and pick us apart.
    That and the missed tackles really bothered me more than anything. The D line wasn't pushing fast enough and Quinn just uses his speed outside every time create a hole for the QB to step up into basically making Romo look like an escape artist.

Re: Reaction and reflections from the third preseason game (St. Louis Rams perspectiv

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    That and the missed tackles really bothered me more than anything. The D line wasn't pushing fast enough and Quinn just uses his speed outside every time create a hole for the QB to step up into basically making Romo look like an escape artist.
    When I saw that, I immediately thought of RG3.....man might have 100yrs. rushing by halftime.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    6. Saffold at RT? You gotta be kidding me. Imo, if u dont hear no one talking about an o lineman, they are doing a pretty good job. It means they arent getting beat and giving up sacks or pressure. And if he were moved who would play LT? Sam doesnt have eyes in back of his head, at least with the cast of characters playing RT Sam can see whats or who's coming his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    6. Saffold at RT? You gotta be kidding me. Imo, if u dont hear no one talking about an o lineman, they are doing a pretty good job. It means they arent getting beat and giving up sacks or pressure. And if he were moved who would play LT? Sam doesnt have eyes in back of his head, at least with the cast of characters playing RT Sam can see whats or who's coming his way.
    We are stuck with Saffold at LT for now, but next year that must change. We heard about him earlier during camp as Quinn was giving him fits, and the only reason we didn't hear his name called saturday was b/c a certain all-pro pass rusher was not lining up in front of him.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

By: Ian Rapoport

although we'll go 4-12 at best this year
    I'll take the over on that ....
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Saffold isnt a problem on our line. I didnt see the first game in full but he hasnt did too much if anything wrong. Idk what your seeing.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

We are stuck with Saffold at LT for now, but next year that must change. We heard about him earlier during camp as Quinn was giving him fits, and the only reason we didn't hear his name called saturday was b/c a certain all-pro pass rusher was not lining up in front of him.

Could it be that the reason that Saffold was having issues with Quinn is not because Saffold is rubbish and a below par LT, but that Quinn is going to be difficult for any LT to handle this year? Every time I've seen Quinn play in the preseason this year he has caused massive problems for the guy he has gone up against.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Could it be that the reason that Saffold was having issues with Quinn is not because Saffold is rubbish and a below par LT, but that Quinn is going to be difficult for any LT to handle this year? Every time I've seen Quinn play in the preseason this year he has caused massive problems for the guy he has gone up against.
    I agree that Quinn is going to be an issue for almost anyone he faces, but at the very least, you want a LT who can hold a guy of his caliber to a stalemate. If we have someone of that caliber, then we can rest assured that he will also be able to handle the other top notch pass rushers in the league which ultimately will mean that our franchise QB is standing upright.