Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Read this!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Read this!

As Rams fans, we are NOT strangers to controversy.

We have had the first black NFL players...a lot of people resisted this.
    There was the death of Pete Carroll. There are people who still think there are unanswered questions.
    Then there's the fact that Georgia moved the Rams to St. Louis.
    We have groups of people here that think that the Rams should move back to California, those that think the Rams need to stay in St. Louis, and those who don't care.
    We've had quarterback controversy, running back controversy, coaching controversy, and even open vs. closed stadium controversy.

Through it all, we remain Rams fans. THAT is what really matters.

In 2014, we have a NEW controversy - Michael Sam. Yes, he's gay. I know without a doubt that he isn't the only one in the NFL who is gay. He just happens to be the first OPENLY gay player.

Imagine you are in a room with 100 other people. According to the American Psychological Organization, AT LEAST three people in that room will be gay, and that is a low estimate. Now, the NFL has 1696 players on the rosters of 32 teams during the regular season. That means there are likely about 50 players in the NFL who are gay at any given moment...meaning every team is likely to have AT LEAST one gay player.

I will NOT tolerate ANY discussion of a player's sexual preferences. The rules state we will maintain civility AT ALL TIMES. If you cannot do so, then DO NOT POST.

This is THE ONLY WARNING that will be given. I will slap an infraction on the next post I see about this subject. Discuss Sam's ability as a player all you want - but from this point on, ANY mention of sex, politics, or religion will result in administrative action.

Is that clear enough for everyone?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Read this!

Yeayyy!... Thanks again RFS.

Is it okay to say I do NOT like MSam's off-field lifestyle and leave it at that? You know, such as the Manziel hype.
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-11-2014 at 12:56 PM.

When a players off-the -field issues affect his on-field performance or the performance of the team, then we will discuss it. Otherwise, we will not.
    citr92 likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Yeayyy!... Thanks again RFS.

Is it okay to say I do NOT like MSam's off-field lifestyle and leave it at that? You know, such as the Manziel hype.
    well what do you see first when you see him? I see a male football player with quite a bit of melanin in his skin from his ancestors...his sexuality to me matters as much as somebody telling me they're straight...awesome, good for you

Also, how about just....not caring about his lifestyle...

I know i don't care about yours...well...not in a mean way but ya know, I don't concern myself since I don't even know you outside of these forums

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    When a players off-the -field issues affect his on-field performance or the performance of the team, then we will discuss it. Otherwise, we will not.
    Exxxcellent...

Interesting that as we 'speak' the NFL, ESPN, etc. are buzzing big time with THE hot news from the Rams drafting M.S., and a good portion of those commentaries are not strictly football.

But alright, that's them, not us.

Yodude is offline Registered User

There was the death of Pete Carroll.
    ....one can only hope!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Citr92 View Post
    Well what do you see first when you see him? I see a male football player with quite a bit of melanin in his skin from his ancestors...his sexuality to me matters as much as somebody telling me they're straight...awesome, good for you.

Also, how about just....not caring about his lifestyle...

I know I don't care about yours...well...not in a mean way but ya know, I don't concern myself since I don't even know you outside of these forums.
    Athletes' lifestyles, particularly the not-so-subtle or low key lifestyles tend to catch the media, yes? And we are no different here -- MUCH has been posted about our Rams players, the good, the bad, and the ugly (I don't mean GC's game reports). The more famous an athlete, the more is talked about his life, wife, girlfriend, character, etc. x3. Not exactly gridiron language.

Likewise, I don't care about your lifestyle, "well, not in a mean way but ya know. I don't concern myself since I don't even know you outside of these forums." I just like a good number of your posts.

I only hope that the Rams make the best of their top 5 picks and conversely, that the rookies will respond to their best.
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-11-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Tyop

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Athletes' lifestyle, particularly the not-so-subtle or low key lifestyles tend to catch the media, yes? And we are no different here -- MUCH has been posted about our Rams players, the good, the bad, and the ugly (I don't mean GC's game reports). The more famous an athlete, the more is talked about his life, wife, girlfriend, character, etc. x3. Not exactly gridiron language.

Likewise, I don't care about your lifestyle, "well, not in a mean way but ya know. I don't concern myself since I don't even know you outside of these forums." I just like a good number of your posts.

I only hope that the Rams make the best of their top 5 picks and conversely, that the rookies will respond to their best.
    soooo...that doesn't answer my question

also again, who cares about the media rambling on about things, they do that all the time

so tell me, why do YOU care about that more than his abilities as a football player

Quote Originally Posted by Citr92 View Post
    Soooo...that doesn't answer my question.

Also again, who cares about the media rambling on about things, they do that all the time.

So tell me, why do YOU care about that more than his abilities as a football player.
    "That" (players' lifestyles) is not something I care more than their football abilities. Don't put words in my mouth / keyboard.

I meant that it is simply something which quite often goes in parallel with their success, or lack thereof, on the field. Yes, the media does that all the time. "Who cares?" WE DO. Thus various hundreds of threads and perhaps thousands of posts are attached to the players lives.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

When i turn on the TV on Sunday morning afternoon evening MN and Thursday night it is to watch FOOTBALL! When i come here to the clan it is to read about FOOTBALL. Good post RFS so let's talk FOOTBALL!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I think he'll make a great linebacker.
    "The horror"

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Far be it from me to tell you guys how to run your board, but I hope the refusal to allow discussion about Sam's private life (a good decision IMO) does not spill over to a refusal to allow ancillary discussion about how it could impact the team.

I see Sam's potential impact on the Rams the same way I saw Tim Tebow's impact on every team he has been on in the NFL. Regardless of the reason, there was a media invasion that followed Tebow that appeared to be a distraction to the teams he was on, and it seemed to influence the teams to do things they might not otherwise have done.

In Sam's case, the underlying reason for such a phenomenon would be that he is the first openly gay player in the NFL, something that could hardly be more different than what it was in Tebow's case. But I think it is entirely possible to have an intelligent discussion about the effect Sam's presence on the Rams might have, without any commentary on the underlying reason for it.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I will NOT tolerate ANY discussion of a player's sexual preferences. The rules state we will maintain civility AT ALL TIMES. If you cannot do so, then DO NOT POST.

This is THE ONLY WARNING that will be given. I will slap an infraction on the next post I see about this subject. Discuss Sam's ability as a player all you want - but from this point on, ANY mention of sex, politics, or religion will result in administrative action.

Is that clear enough for everyone?
    I think Sam's been pretty clear here, people. This wasn't meant to be a new location to debate the topic. It was a request that discussion about this issue not continue, due to the divisive nature of the subject matter.

Let's abide by that, please.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    Far be it from me to tell you guys how to run your board, but I hope the refusal to allow discussion about Sam's private life (a good decision IMO) does not spill over to a refusal to allow ancillary discussion about how it could impact the team.

I see Sam's potential impact on the Rams the same way I saw Tim Tebow's impact on every team he has been on in the NFL. Regardless of the reason, there was a media invasion that followed Tebow that appeared to be a distraction to the teams he was on, and it seemed to influence the teams to do things they might not otherwise have done.

In Sam's case, the underlying reason for such a phenomenon would be that he is the first openly gay player in the NFL, something that could hardly be more different than what it was in Tebow's case. But I think it is entirely possible to have an intelligent discussion about the effect Sam's presence on the Rams might have, without any commentary on the underlying reason for it.
    Why bother? Tebow was a QB (a starter in Denver). Sam is a 7th round pick who might not even make the squad.

Seems to me that those who are expressing concern about potential "distractions" are supporting (deliberately or not) the bigots who would keep him out of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    ....one can only hope!
    Good catch. I'm a little pissed that Clan Ram members can't act like adults, and I made a mistake. Obviously, I meant Carroll Rosenbloom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast