Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Goldenfleece
  • 2 Post By general counsel

Thread: Reading Into Rams Draft Strategy

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Reading Into Rams Draft Strategy

A few observations on Rams 2012 draft strategy:

1. Quantity Over Quality - It's telling the Rams moved down three times in the first two rounds. When they moved down to six, they were willing to accept the risk of missing out on the top two non-QB picks, Richardson and Blackmon (as opposed to trading with the Browns at four, which would have guaranteed the option to take one of the two). When they moved down from six to fourteen, they reportedly had Brockers and possibly Cox ahead of Claiborne but were also willing to settle for Kirkpatrick, Reiff, or DeCastro. When they moved from 45 to 50, they wanted a linebacker but were clearly content to end up with Pead. It is unclear if there was any discussion of possibly moving up for a player at some point. One of the themes of this draft seemed to be, "We know that eventually we have to pick somebody".

Fun Fact: The Rams used their #2 overall pick to acquire Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Isaiah Pead, Rokevious Watkins, a 2013 first-round pick, and a 2014 first-round pick.

2. All Ballers Welcome - In stark contrast to Spagnuolo's Four Pillars (faith, character, core values, team first), the new management is willing to take chances. Jenkins, Johnson and Givens have all served suspensions in their collegiate careers (Givens' was only one game). Jenkins has had repeated arrests and actually left Florida when the school's patience with him ran out.

Fun Fact: The two CBs share the ignominious distinction of having both been charged with resisting arrest.

3. Show Us What You Can Do, Not What You've Done - Brockers was a redshirt sophomore when he declared, and his lofty draft status was based more so on his massive physique and potential than his overall body of work at LSU. Likewise, Quick didn't start playing football until his senior year of high school, didn't face a lot of top competition in college (or even a lot of average competition) and was reported to have said that the Senior Bowl was the first time he got to work with a receivers coach, but look at those triangle numbers--6'4"/220 lbs/4.55 forty. Every pick at least through Round 4 has significant upside based on their physical tools, as opposed to past prioritization of players like Chris Long and James Laurinaitis who were perceived to be polished players but possibly much closer to their ceiling when they were selected. The coaching staff seems very confident that if you give them a player with the right tools, they can make the player perform.

Fun Fact: The Rams' Day 2 picks feature players from such famed football schools as Appalachian State, North Alabama, and Montana.
    Bar-bq and thermobee like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Reading Into Rams Draft Strategy

I dont agree at all that its quantity over quality. The rams did not trade back quality picks for mid or late round picks. Second round picks are high quality picks. I dont see that as quality for quantity, at least not in a conceptual sense. I think that if you have a group of players similarly ranked, you can get more quantity without necessarily giving up much if anything in quality. There is no way for us to know how the rams ranked the players. I doubt that the rams see it as giving up quality.

One key them to me is players that have room for development and have not reached their production peak. Fisher obviously has a lot of faith in his and his staffs' ability to coach guys up that have strong physical talents.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rambos and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

I'm not saying we didn't get quality players, but it is relative. Richardson and Blackmon were widely viewed as being "elite" prospects in this draft, which is consistent with the report that we would have taken either of them outright rather than trading down if they had been available at six. If you believe the reports, our draft board would have looked something like this:

Elite Non-QBs
    Richardson
    Blackmon

Pool of Other Guys We Would Be Okay With If We Can Pick Up Another Pick in the Process
    Brockers
    Cox
    Claiborne
    Kirkpatrick
    DeCastro
    Reiff

Now, don't get me wrong. The players we picked up in the second are probable starters with the exception of Pead at back-up runningback, which was almost as important a need as another starter. However, there is some real drop-off in prospect rating between say Blackmon (immensely productive with #1 potential), Floyd (productive and talented receiver in a pro system against top competition), and Quick (gifted but raw small school prospect).

The decision to trade down from 45 is an even clearer example of trading for quantity. All we picked up was a fifth rounder in that trade, and if Silver is correct, we did miss out on players that we wanted as a result.

I dont believe that the rams thought that there was any dropoff between floyd and quick. THe key here is that the only "propsect rating" that matters is the rams ratings, not the ratings of the alleged experts and certainly not the fans. Remember, we would have taken blackmon, he was not available. Our choice was claiborne. WE didnt have him rated ahead of janoris jenkins quality wise.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fair enough. Maybe they did view Jenkins as more talented than Claiborne, but there was no way to guarantee that we would get Jenkins if we waited until pick #39. Basically, choosing to trade down three times in the first round and a half would indicate that if they weren't prioritizing quantity, we could only assume that they were convinced that their board was so radically different from the rest of the NFL's that they were certain other teams wouldn't take the players that the Rams had highest on their board.

Actually, it doesnt just have to be about jenkins. Maybe there were plenty of other players that they had comparably graded that they were willing to take the calculated gamble. I dont think our board was necessarily radically different than others, but certainly every team has its own opinions and all boards arent the same.

There is certainly some validity to your general premises that quantity was important to us. That was for sure the case given the number of holes we had to fill (and still have to fill). I am not sure we are really in so much disagreement here, because we are both generally of the view that we did need plenty of bodies and we were still looking for high quality guys with premium picks. Its not like we took a #2 and traded back for #3, #4 and #5's, or mid round picks next year.

One of the big takeaways from this and most drafts is how many great players are still available in round 2. I believe the general view that between 25 and 50 a lot of it is pure personal preference and need. Those second round picks are really worth a lot and the ability to draft effectively often separates winning from losing teams. I get it that the nfl is a league of stars, but stars without depth doesnt help either. Thats why we wanted the star in blackmon, but didnt want to pay up for the star in claiborne when we already paid finnegan. No way do the rams trade back if blackmon is there at 6.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is online now Registered User

Here is why I don't think it's Quantity Over Quality, the Rams past on one elite player Claiborne. But they knew they had a real shot at getting a player with as much talent in Jenkins. In fact the real Quality in this draft was in RD one and two and the Rams would not have passed on Claiborne if they could not have added another second round pick. Which they got from Dallas to move back. The depth in RD two was so great, we did not give up Quality by moving back in RD two to pick up some Quantity with the 5th we added.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Everything I'm hearing says we got a ton of talent!

So yes, I'm very excited with the quantity of our quality!

I think we came out pretty well when you look at aggregate talent. We landed a top three defensive tackle (and the top DT on the Rams board), possibly two of the top five corners, at least one of the top five receivers on the Rams board (we don't really know how they rated Floyd, Wright, or A.J. Jenkins), the top kicker in the draft, and important depth players at several other positions. We may not have landed an "elite" prospect, but we probably picked up 4-6 new starters with lots of potential.