Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The REAL Inconvenient Truth

You want the real truth of 2007? Here it is, ladies and gentlemen;

Scott Linehan does not encompass all aspects of being a head coach.

What? A Linehan supporter calls him out?

"But BBQ, I'm Confused"

So was I.

I had somewhat of a epiphany last night after watching us get crushed, and watching that nasty spat Holt had with Linehan on the sidelines. What I've concluded is that as a Playcaller, Scott Linehan more than deserves a mulligan. He's had to combat the injuries, he's had to compensate for a team with more than 80 starts lost to injuries and more than Twelve different combinations along the OL. A QB with a concussion and broken ribs, a runner with a torn groin, and Recievers that have been hampered by injuries the entire year. He made a wise move placing the D in the hands of Jim Haslett, giving him one less thing to worry about. But really, the playcalling has had to compensate for all of the injuries, and as a result, the offense never really got going, especially not after halftime.

But being a Head Coach is more than that.

As a Head Coach, you are judged on the way you can put a team together. And Linehan deserves a mulligan here too. We have not seen how the team looks as an entire unit, because different pieces of the puzzle have been out injured all season. We haven't even had a game wherein there was a close resemblance.

Above, you've read, a summated version of my premises for defending Linehan these past weeks. But it's beginning to dawn on me that being a Head Coach in this league is about more than just playcalling, and about putting your team together, and getting the gameplan ready, and preparing week after week. If you've lost the players, then you have not done your job. And this is what I've been mulling on the last week.

In my last installment, I commented on how Linehan has no 'stones'. Wherein he's content to play dead and call injuries. To play not to lose. To show no emotion and act as a sponge, rather than motivate his team. Even the coaches who adopt what Mike labelled the "stotic" approach have to be able to motivate. And you'd better believe that guys like Dungy, Belichick, Reid and Smith motivate their players to come out and play well each and every week. There's a reason they've all been to the superbowl. Because when you do not cater to the needs of the players, and treat them solely as 'pieces of the puzzle' treating the whole as a greater being than the sum of it's parts.

But in football, for the whole to reach it's destination, the sum of the parts need to have their needs met. They aren't a team if you don't make them one. If you can't show the necessary emotion, even if it is behind closed doors, to get this team going. When there are no signs of life, nothing can prosper.

And that's why I'm glad Torry Holt took a stand. He's fighting for the sum of the parts. The vision is only as good as the method.

Yet, still, Scott Linehan doesn't get the message. When asked about the spat, he commented; "It's not a big deal to me."

Scott, If you aren't concerned about your lone pro bowl player, Mr. Conscientious, Mr. Team Player, losing his head because of the actions you've taken during the game being played, then what exactly are you concerned about? He'd be a terrible spokesperson for Global Warming. "Climate change could affect this planet in various ways, but it's probably not an immediate concern right now, and If the polar icecaps melt we might be in worlds of trouble, but it's a potential problem we're a seeking to correct in the future. There's too much indifference; too much supposition.

We were talking at the very start of this season about Linehan's evaluation, and I remember Av saying something to the extent of "It's how you make the most of this season, despite the injuries we've suffered." And mate, you're dead right.

This is where I'm convinced he has not succedded. If he has lost the players, as it appears, then he has not done his job as a head coach. He has struggled to salvage the season, and has come out with bumps and bruises all over, and in all the wrong placed.

As it stands, as a Linehan supporter, I have become uncomfortably numb. He deserves a mulligan as a playcaller, but if he has lost this franchise, the he also desrves to be shown the door. It may be percieved as me sitting on the fence, but I assure you that there is legitimacy in both claims. To see him returned would be a mistake if anarchy is the result, despite the fact that his playcalling has been hindered by the injuries we've suffered, and our perceptions of the "whole" team clouded by the same obstacle.

SWFCRAM is online now Registered User

Re: The REAL Inconvenient Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    You want the real truth of 2007? Here it is, ladies and gentlemen;

Scott Linehan does not encompass all aspects of being a head coach.

What? A Linehan supporter calls him out?

"But BBQ, I'm Confused"

So was I.

I had somewhat of a epiphany last night after watching us get crushed, and watching that nasty spat Holt had with Linehan on the sidelines. What I've concluded is that as a Playcaller, Scott Linehan more than deserves a mulligan. He's had to combat the injuries, he's had to compensate for a team with more than 80 starts lost to injuries and more than Twelve different combinations along the OL. A QB with a concussion and broken ribs, a runner with a torn groin, and Recievers that have been hampered by injuries the entire year. He made a wise move placing the D in the hands of Jim Haslett, giving him one less thing to worry about. But really, the playcalling has had to compensate for all of the injuries, and as a result, the offense never really got going, especially not after halftime.

But being a Head Coach is more than that.

As a Head Coach, you are judged on the way you can put a team together. And Linehan deserves a mulligan here too. We have not seen how the team looks as an entire unit, because different pieces of the puzzle have been out injured all season. We haven't even had a game wherein there was a close resemblance.

Above, you've read, a summated version of my premises for defending Linehan these past weeks. But it's beginning to dawn on me that being a Head Coach in this league is about more than just playcalling, and about putting your team together, and getting the gameplan ready, and preparing week after week. If you've lost the players, then you have not done your job. And this is what I've been mulling on the last week.

In my last installment, I commented on how Linehan has no 'stones'. Wherein he's content to play dead and call injuries. To play not to lose. To show no emotion and act as a sponge, rather than motivate his team. Even the coaches who adopt what Mike labelled the "stotic" approach have to be able to motivate. And you'd better believe that guys like Dungy, Belichick, Reid and Smith motivate their players to come out and play well each and every week. There's a reason they've all been to the superbowl. Because when you do not cater to the needs of the players, and treat them solely as 'pieces of the puzzle' treating the whole as a greater being than the sum of it's parts.

But in football, for the whole to reach it's destination, the sum of the parts need to have their needs met. They aren't a team if you don't make them one. If you can't show the necessary emotion, even if it is behind closed doors, to get this team going. When there are no signs of life, nothing can prosper.

And that's why I'm glad Torry Holt took a stand. He's fighting for the sum of the parts. The vision is only as good as the method.

Yet, still, Scott Linehan doesn't get the message. When asked about the spat, he commented; "It's not a big deal to me."

Scott, If you aren't concerned about your lone pro bowl player, Mr. Conscientious, Mr. Team Player, losing his head because of the actions you've taken during the game being played, then what exactly are you concerned about? He'd be a terrible spokesperson for Global Warming. "Climate change could affect this planet in various ways, but it's probably not an immediate concern right now, and If the polar icecaps melt we might be in worlds of trouble, but it's a potential problem we're a seeking to correct in the future. There's too much indifference; too much supposition.

We were talking at the very start of this season about Linehan's evaluation, and I remember Av saying something to the extent of "It's how you make the most of this season, despite the injuries we've suffered." And mate, you're dead right.

This is where I'm convinced he has not succedded. If he has lost the players, as it appears, then he has not done his job as a head coach. He has struggled to salvage the season, and has come out with bumps and bruises all over, and in all the wrong placed.

As it stands, as a Linehan supporter, I have become uncomfortably numb. He deserves a mulligan as a playcaller, but if he has lost this franchise, the he also desrves to be shown the door. It may be percieved as me sitting on the fence, but I assure you that there is legitimacy in both claims. To see him returned would be a mistake if anarchy is the result, despite the fact that his playcalling has been hindered by the injuries we've suffered, and our perceptions of the "whole" team clouded by the same obstacle.

So to summarise - "fire his ass!"

Keenum is offline Registered User

I was kinda thinking the same thing when Mike Shula was the head coach at Alabama. Shula was pretty decent at recruiting and coaching his quarterbacks, but as a head coach, he was nowhere near ready.
    Now he is the QB coach at Jacksonville, and may be a reason why David Garrard is having a very godo year.
    Sometimes a great coach in one area does not mean he'll be a great coach in another position. You've just got to find what that person can do best.
    Hey, Linehan may learn from this year and turn out to be a fine coach, but my money is that he still isn't ready for a head coachiing spot and needs to be at another position where he is better suited.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    So to summarise - "fire his ass!"
    Nono. To summarise, As a playcaller and a puzzle-putter-togetherer, he gets a mulligan. If, however, he has lost the respect of the players, then a change in direction at the head coaching position is probably necessary.