throwback week

ramnut Guest
    Being a rookie and UK poster and therefore no "expert", could anyone tell me if takes longer for a new defense to gel than a new offense. Martz's new personnel on offense went from zero to hero in one season in '99 and surely the complexities on offense outweigh what is supposed to be, in theory, a simple defense.
    So there other than inexperience there should be grounds for major improvement here.

Do I really have to spell offense and defense with an 's' , it just doesn't look right ? !!

DODRAM is offline Registered User
    Ramnut - welcome aboard

It's cool either spelling , this is a UK based site so the defence is applicable even if we are talking about a sport where the offensive spelling is used

I think that a simple defense is easier to install than a basic offense, as the early weeks in NFLE tend to show. However the problem with a new NFL defense is the potential complexity of it. To deal with the complex offenses they face there are probably many more calls and reads to make, that was one of the problems with last years scheme that seemed to be too many reads to make and not enough just reacting to the ball. hopefully Lovie's scheme will let the defensive players rely more on speed and instinct than making a series of reads. However even simple NFL defenses are probably quite complicated and need a lot of learning , even if it's just in the new terminology.

I also think we have a lot of new players as well as a new scheme and getting the chemistry of a team to work is a funny thing. We don't know how all the new faces will work together , which players will emerge as the team leaders and set the tone for the whole defense, we'll need to wait & see

GO CLAYMORES : DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MsWistRAM Guest
    A more simplified and solid defense that Lovie is installing has got to be easier and quicker for the newbies to learn than the complicated d Giunta had last year. This not only will strengthen the d, but make it easier for them to "gel".

BTW, with the atrocious misspellings you find on the net, however you want to spell something is just fine by me.

DODRAM is offline Registered User
    It may be simplified but it is a new scheme for everyone on the D to learn. even the vets on the team will need to learn a new terminology. Sure they are professional sportsmen and I'm sure by week 1 they will all have it off pat ( or they will be on the free agent list :-( )

But there is still the team chemistry element , I'm encouraged by the type of coach we now have on defense , but we still have to see what kind of team they turn out.

Dod
    sitting on the fence deciding which way to jump/fall

GO CLAYMORES : DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

this is why I say week one is the most dangeous game.

Good point is we have so many pre season games and the first one is only weeks away :cool:

THE FIELD GOAL Guest

Talking Defense(Defence) Gel

The process of a defense gelling is a real state of mind. The total package must be designed and then executed. So far. lovie has done a good job from what i here. Not being at Rams park, it is hard to evaluate. But the true test will be how good can a group of players know each others moves. Being comfortable is key to a good unit functioning. The gel part is trust. With trust these guys should get going in the right direction.

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Defenses gell much quicker than offenses do. There isn't timing involved like with QB-WR or hand-off timing. Mostly, when does this guy stunt on the D line, where does the SS play, things like that.