Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Reality Check, Please!

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I don't know what I'm supposed to say. You agree with me about my reasons but then disagree that I brought them up?
    I disagreed with how you painted the fan reaction in your post because I think it's a huge exaggeration based on very few examples. I thought that's been pretty clear through everything I've posted.

Furthermore, I think you can make a case that nearly all of the "gross exaggerations" you listed in post #66 aren't gross exaggerations at all.

One, any team who can score 23 points in five or six minutes seems pretty dangerous to me. Any coach that doesn't look out for this offense is making a mistake, IMO. Do you disagree that coaches should be wary of the Rams offense?

Two, look at our next seven games. Excluding Seattle and New England, I think the remaining five games are very winable, and I would have told you that before the Seattle contest as well. I think this team has the talent to beat a 1-4 Tampa team, winless Miami and Buffalo team, struggling Green Bay team, and a 49er team we already beat after shutting them out for three quarters. Those seven teams have a combined record of 10-22. Do you disagree that many of those games are winable for this team?

Three, as for Curtis and McDonald, I think this was an emergence. They've certainly got a long way to go in terms of proving their worth, but to emerge is defined as "to become evident," and I think Curtis and McDonald made their talents evident to the NFL with this game. Do you disagree that these two receivers emerged as dangerous yet still inexperienced targets?

Again, not gross exaggerations, IMO.

I don't think the world's against me
    Honestly, I see it differently. And posts like these...

I would have posted similar concerns myself but everyone knows I'm just a Bulger/Martz hater(sarcasm)
    I get criicized for not presenting both sides of an argument but when I do, I'm criticized for not being positive enough.
    This board would melt down if I actually critiqued the entire game!
    Of course, if I criticize Bulger for throwing 3 interceptions in the first 3 quarters I'm just picking on him. My irrational hatred of Bulger knows no bounds and it's only possible for a deviant like me to mention something like that when the Rams won the game.
    I would have to be flamed as a Bulger/Martz hater-Warner lover
    You're right. No one's ever jumped down my throat for criticizing Bulger. I'm just making that up too. If this is the type of nonsense Christ had to put up with, maybe there's a good reason he hasn't come back.

...definitely make me feel like you're playing the pity card as much as a teenybopper would play the new Justin Timberlake single. Hence, how's the view from up there on the cross? I only asked because it seems clear to me that you've put yourself there.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think we need to go back and analyze the original post...

That
    What do you mean by "that?"

was one helluva
    When you say "helluva," are you creating an abbreviation for "Hell of a" or did you misspell the word "hallava" (the nougat like confection popular in the Middle East).

comeback yesterday
    The term "comeback yesterday" implies a belief in time travel that I simply cannot accept.

and a great game to watch BUT let's not write the Rams into the Super Bowl just yet shall we?
    How could your write "the Rams" into "the Super Bowl." Wouldn't you end up writing something like ththee RaSupemsrBowl" if you tried?

Plenty of you on this board criticize the people who overreact to a loss, yet all of you seem to be doing the same thing in reverse.
    Wouldn't the reverse be undereacting to a win?

It's a big win for the Rams but let's just enjoy it.
    As oppose to NOT enjoying it?

The Rams aren't locks for the playoffs.
    Yes, but what is their "magic number?"

Martz hasn't changed.
    His shirt? His pants? His long distance carrier? What do you mean?

Bulger still has problems with his decisions.
    Girls to date? Stock to buy? His long distance carrier? What decisions?

The running game still needs work.
    I hear Wal-Mart is hiring.

The defense didn't start to get any momentum until Alexander was out of the game. Etc., etc.
    Isn't a defense, by definition, supposed to STOP momentum?

It was the greatest comeback I've ever seen the Rams complete (playoffs against the Saints in 2000 and Super Bowl XXXVI were also great comebacks but ultimately lost by the defense/special teams not holding up) and I think the Rams should be very thankful for their LUCK.
    Shouldn't we all?

This game might very well be a lightning rod for this season but just like the early losses I'm not going to get too excited about the ball bouncing the Rams' way.
    Well, the ball is, after all, oblong.

I'm a lot more optimistic than I was earlier in the season but the team still has a lot of work to do.
    Let's not think of it as work. Its supposed to be a game!

Please remember the Rams were just a lucky bounce away from a 4 interception game by Bulger and a loss.
    Or an unlucky bounce, as the case may be.

If Manu isn't in the right place, at the right time (in triple/quadruple coverage) and the tipped ball doesn't happen to go right to him....well, you get the idea.
    Not to mention the fact that he could have been born a girl if not for certain biological happenstance.

Let's all keep our heads on, shall we?
    I certainly hope so.

Enjoy the exciting win but let's not take Tampa Bay for granted.
    I've been to Tampa Bay, and I'd never take it for granted.

We could learn something from New England and Seattle.
    Particularly if the subjects are clam chowder and coffee shops.

NE takes every opponent seriously and respects the fact that "any given Sunday" exists.
    Unlike every other team in the league?

Seattle assumes the win when the game is far from over and gives away an important divisional game when they had it won.
    Well, I guess sometimes it is actually better to receive than it is to give.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I never thought I'd see the day! Funny post Avenger. It's not much of a compliment, but it's supposed to be.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Glad you enjoyed it. All that typing was hard work! :redface:

moklerman is offline Registered User

You definitely deserve a gold star for all the cut and pasting/responses.

viper is offline Registered User

Boy, somebody has way too much time on their hands...entertaining though! Good job, "Doonesbury". :tongue:
    Last edited by viper; -10-13-2004 at 06:12 PM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Funny boy Avenger steps in with the humor post to give the reality check a break. LOL. Not bad Avenger. I made me chuckle. I like the Martz and Bulger comments.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456