AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Was it really 25 years ago?

I remember it so well, I can't believe it was really 25 years ago.

The 1979 season.

The Rams win their division with a 9-7 record behind Vince Ferragamo. Wendell Tyler and Cullen Bryant in the backfield. Billy Waddy the big play receiver. Jackie Slater, Dennis Harrah, Rich Saul...

And that defense... Jack Youngblood, Jim Youngblood, Fred Dryer, Larry Brooks, Rod Perry, Nolan Cromwell...

Going to the Super Bowl against the Steelers Dynasty - and staying toe-to-toe with them for three quarters.

That was quite a year.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Was it really 25 years ago?

Avenger, hadn't seen this until now, after doing some Rams reminiscing of some very fine RBs of the near and distant past (in 'Faulk Might Not Play' thread).

79, that was a very good year. 'Year I got married to my wonderful wife of 25 seasons now.

Great team of 79. Rams came close to winning it all, indeed!
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-03-2004 at 05:59 PM.

lakerams Guest

it's a good thing the Rams broke through and won the Superbowl in 2000, otherwise we may still be looking back to the '79 team in the Superbowl and wondering "what if"?

PTHOR is offline Registered User

I was in Jr High when that game happened, I was so excited until the 4th Quarter when Bradshaw through that TD pass right over the corners finger tips, that took the air out of me. What an upset that would have been.

general counsel Guest

i will never forget the halfback option pass for a td from mccutcheon.

Now, if we could only resurrect that rams defense and put it with our current offense, we would be cooking with gas.

Does anyone know if jack youngblood is in the shape. He probably cant go every down anymore, but he might be a holy terror and bust some heads on special teams.

general counsel

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I remember it so well, I can't believe it was really 25 years ago.

The 1979 season.

The Rams win their division with a 9-7 record behind Vince Ferragamo. Wendell Tyler and Cullen Bryant in the backfield. Billy Waddy the big play receiver. Jackie Slater, Dennis Harrah, Rich Saul...

And that defense... Jack Youngblood, Jim Youngblood, Fred Dryer, Larry Brooks, Rod Perry, Nolan Cromwell...

Going to the Super Bowl against the Steelers Dynasty - and staying toe-to-toe with them for three quarters.

That was quite a year.

Indeed what a year! I was surfing all day long and to come home and see that the Rams were up was unbelievable and the fact that my dad did not bust me for stopping at the Hollow on my way home after being in the hollow all day long

Then Nolan almost wins the game with the easiest interception ever given to him (I think this occurred during pop's eye examination, thank goodness for saltwater :tongue: )

If my memory serves me correctly, we should have won that game if Nolan catches that walk off interception either late in the third quarter or early in the fourth or was that the humboldt permanent impairment hard at work in mi brain?

I can't see :tongue:
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!