laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This is really bugging me

The first decision of the Eagles game is very questionable in my mind.

The coin toss.

RAMS win the coin toss and defer???

We are on the road playing in front of a hostile crowd, opening day excitement is in the air.

Why defer?

Take the ball and hopefully our offense can put some points on the board with our first offensive possession.

How else can you quiet the crowd???

Our offense isn't going to get in a goove watching from the sidelines.

We defer and the Eagles march down the field and score. Now the offense has the pressure on them to respond.

Please enlighten me....

Dazed and confused

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: This is really bugging me

I would listen to the argument for both sides, but in reality, I understand the logic ...

It's opening day, you are in a hostile stadium, the crowd is frantic ...

You're likely to see some blitzing and further complicate the situation, so why expose your offense to that?

The dream is that your defense will be fiery and can come out and make a big stand right away, and in turn, deflate the home crowd. Think about it - if Tye Hill picks off that pass intended for Jackson right there at the start, we immediately take a huge momentum swing in our favor, effectively nulling the crowd from the get go. I doubt we would have seen a lack of energy and intensity on the offensive side had we made that stop ...

As it went, it was all downhill in a hurry ...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Infiniti's right on. You defer the toss if you feel stronger in your defense to start a game. And a part of that is the crowd. In an away setting, it's much easier to start on defense because a lot more has to go right for an offensive series to be a success than a defensive. You can mess up twice on defense and still get the stop on 3rd down. You mess up twice on offense and you're looking at 3rd and long(or 3rd and longer). If we could have gotten the stop, the crowd would have settled down and the Rams would have some momentum.

As it was, they completed a long pass which was as much luck as anything, and then they got the stupid Holt penalty. The crowd is going wild and the offense all of a sudden is can't stop. Then, after they score, the defense is energized, the crowd is loud in the offense's ears, and they stop us cold. They have all the momentum and now our coaches need to motivate the team to stay in it, and more to it, get back into the game.

But oh no! The coach believes that you get motivated by being successful, which we've failed on both our first defensive and offensive drives! There's nothing to do and we then go on to lose 38-3. Being told that you'll be motivated by success is like my wife being told by her boss that her positive reinforcement is getting paid. That's why she quit and that's why the Rams quit on Sunday.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not disagreeing with your replies but.....We know what happened by deferring. What would have happened if we elected to receive???

We'll never know...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Offense comes out, defense is fired up by the crowd, so say they go 3 and out. The Eagles offense is fired up by the stop so say that they march down and score. The offense has at least been out on the field to see how it is before they're down 7-0 and they maybe make some adjustments on their own(lord knows that Linehan won't), and motivate themselves with a good play and we go on from there. We probably still lose, but maybe not as badly.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

gotta agree..for once i think Linehan done the right thing..hindsight is 20/20 and as it happens it turned out pretty bad,pretty quick. but i would have done exactly the same as Linny if it was my call with the coin toss!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Bottom line. Linehan had more confidence in his defense than in his offense, thus, he felt our best shot to take away the crowd or more importantly to get us off to a good start in the game, was to send the defense out first. I agreed with that choice so i am not complaining about it.

the decision to take a timeout with 1:30 left in the half when the eagles were trying to run out the clock was moronic. It helped lead to the 90 yard td which effectively ended the game.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I have zero confidence in our defensive players and especially our coordinator, but I still would have to agree with defering- just getting the ball to open the second half can help set the table. Of course none of that happened, but hey- do you really think the outcome would have been different had we decided to accept?

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

It didn't affect the outcome of the game. If God himself had come down and parted the sea for us that day we still would have found a way to drown - there was no way we were going to win that one, momentum swings or not.

I can see the logic in the decision if you trust the defense more than the offense, though I don't know why you'd do that with our D. Personally I would have taken the ball, I have more confidence in our offense than defense. I feel you have to be more courageous, basically tell 'em "we want the ball and we're gonna score" so to speak And then try to get it done on offense on the first possession of the game.

Interestingly the only good completions that Bulger made for decent yardage were in the desperate phase of the game in aggressive 4 receiver formations with a gung-ho playcalling style. Maybe we really need more aggression and more spread-out plays with lots of targets. In other words maybe we need a little more Martz in this offense. I for one think so.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I agree with the decision to defer. Most of the time offenses don't score on their opening possesion. Hindsight is 20/20, it was a logical choice at the time and taking the return wouldn't have helped much if we were this bad.