Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Are really trading the number two pick to the redskins

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Are really trading the number two pick to the redskins

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    Also, we now have a bounty of 1st round picks to play with, lets say if we decide to go for Wallace.....or some kind of trade that would improve this team. It is exciting
    Oh sweet heavens, don't say "bounty".
    thoey, Nick, Truth and 10 others like this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ramer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    While one's first instinct is to roundly praise this trade, I am not convinced this is the best possible scenario for us on several levels. Number one, we dropped down to #6 in the 1st round, which means we will more than likely miss out on Justin Blackmon, the playmaker I am convinced we need to take. And if we pick another "sure fire" ofensive lineman this early, I'm gonna' be more than a little pissed. This is a super-star/playmaker-driven league. We need one.

Secondly, although you cannot scoff at getting additional first round picks the next two years, what if Washingon becomes good? Those picks all of a sudden aren't quite as enticing as we hope they'll be. And then of course comes the part where the Rams need to actually make quality picks- something we've whiffed on for years.

I can only hope the Rams thoroughly considered each possibility, because from where I sit, I would have much rather they dealt with Cleveland for their #2 and #21 overall this season plus whatever else.
    NJRamsfan1, I can't beleive your not excited about this trade. This was a no brainer. We now have so many options going into the draft with this trade. We really need to build this team and the only way we can do that is with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. We could even use one of those other (2013 & 2014) first round picks to aquire an early 2nd rounder or a top free agent player. We are one of the top teams this year with money to spend. I really see the Rams going after a top receiver in free agency. Also, I'm not really sold on Blacmon and I really don't think he's a number 2 pick in the draft. With the additional picks from this trade I would take him at number 6, if he is still available.
    I trhink the Rams would have been the laughing stock of the NFL if we didn't except this trade. Great job RAMS!!!!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Oh sweet heavens, don't say "bounty".
    No but you can certainly say "snishered"! LOL
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Good work Les Snead. The Rams couldn't refuse this offer, no way. Even if it does mean the Rams may lose out on Justin Blackmon.? Three first rounders and a second rounder, to move up four spots in a draft, is unheard of.? Its been said, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with that first step." Well,
    IF the Rams do manage to use those extra picks wisely. It could be more than just a step. It could be one giant leap for Ramkind.??
    Im not going to get my hopes up just yet though, as the odds are still firmly stacked against us.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -03-10-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    MoonJoe and THOLTFAN81 like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramer View Post
    NJRamsfan1, I can't beleive your not excited about this trade. This was a no brainer. We now have so many options going into the draft with this trade. We really need to build this team and the only way we can do that is with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. We could even use one of those other (2013 & 2014) first round picks to aquire an early 2nd rounder or a top free agent player. We are one of the top teams this year with money to spend. I really see the Rams going after a top receiver in free agency. Also, I'm not really sold on Blacmon and I really don't think he's a number 2 pick in the draft. With the additional picks from this trade I would take him at number 6, if he is still available.
    I trhink the Rams would have been the laughing stock of the NFL if we didn't except this trade. Great job RAMS!!!!

It's not that I'm upset, I'm just not thrilled about moving down to #6 and having to wait another two years before this move fully bears fruit. We can certainly help ourselves now by making the deal, but I'd rather have a couple of 1st round picks THIS YEAR instead of having to wait until 2014.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

It's not that I'm upset, I'm just not thrilled about moving down to #6 and having to wait another two years before this move fully bears fruit. We can certainly help ourselves now by making the deal, but I'd rather have a couple of 1st round picks THIS YEAR instead of having to wait until 2014.

So you just want to put all your eggs in the 2012 draft? I would MUCH rather have multiple picks in the next two years than two this year. I mean you get two instead of one how could you not want that. So what if we have to wait we gain an extra 1st rounder in coming years. NOT to mention what that pick could be worth. We could end up trading one of those picks for even more picks and those picks for picks. MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Anyways you get my point. had we made the trade with cleveland those picks are going to be 4 and 22 there is no improving from that. With the redskins they could suck it up and have the number 1 overall or at least better than 22nd. So in all this is a awesome deal imo.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    With our new leaders, Fisher and Snead. I have the trust in them as far as making smart drafts picks. I know we haven't faired well with Linehan and Spags but we can't bury Fisher and Snead yet. It's a wait and see approach from me.

Afterall this how we should be rebuilding in my opinion.

Well, the intrigue and suspense gets better each passing day this off season.

Let's check off the steps that have got us here thus far:

New Owner check
    Fire Spags check
    Hire Fischer check
    Trade #2 check

Hopefully, soon to come is we do not botch the plethora of drafts picks we have received. If we can check that off as well as job well done then we are on our way for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    So you just want to put all your eggs in the 2012 draft? I would MUCH rather have multiple picks in the next two years than two this year. I mean you get two instead of one how could you not want that. So what if we have to wait we gain an extra 1st rounder in coming years. NOT to mention what that pick could be worth. We could end up trading one of those picks for even more picks and those picks for picks. MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Anyways you get my point. had we made the trade with cleveland those picks are going to be 4 and 22 there is no improving from that. With the redskins they could suck it up and have the number 1 overall or at least better than 22nd. So in all this is a awesome deal imo.
    I can't fault you for your reasoning. It's hard to argue with acquiring two first rounders in successive seasons. But I'm just saying I think there could have been a better scenario. Hear me out:

Before the deal, we had the Nos. 2 and 33 selections. After the deal with Washington, we have the #6, 33 and 39 selections. Fine- we gain an additional pick but in the process probably cost us any chance of getting Blackmon, WHO I AM CONVINCED is the playmaker we need to help our atrocious offense. Had we dealt with Cleveland, we could have conceivably gotten the # 4, the #22 in exchange for the no. 2 pick plus our own #33 selection . At 4, Blackmon is still there, and who knows what else we could have obtained from Cleveland- either this year or in the coming years? How would this not have been better?

I want to win now. Not interested in any more 3 to 5 year plans. We all know how the last two turned out. The scenario I gave above would have been better, in my opinion, If we can still get Blackmon at 6, I'll be ecstatic. But if we select Joe Schmo, highly touted lineman out of Podunk State, I'm gonna' be beyond pissed. WE NEED A GAME BREAKER!!!
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -03-10-2012 at 04:22 PM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I can't fault you for your reasoning. It's hard to argue with acquiring two first rounders in successive seasons. But I'm just saying I think there could have been a better scenario. Hear me out:

Before the deal, we had the Nos. 2 and 33 selections. After the deal with Washington, we have the #6, 33 and 39 selections. Fine- we gain an additional pick but in the process probably cost us any chance of getting Blackmon, WHO I AM CONVINCED is the playmaker we need to help our atrocious offense. Had we dealt with Cleveland, we could have conceivably gotten the # 4, the #22 in exchange for the no. 2 pick plus our own #33 selection . At 4, Blackmon is still there, and who knows what else we could have obtained from Cleveland- either this year or in the coming years? How would this not have been better?

I want to win now. Not interested in any more 3 to 5 year plans. We all know how the last two turned out. The scenario I gave above would have been better, in my opinion, If we can still get Blackmon at 6, I'll be ecstatic. But if we select Joe Schmo, highly touted lineman out of Podunk State, I'm gonna' be beyond pissed. WE NEED A GAME BREAKER!!!
    I see your reasoning, and I would much rather have had more first round picks this year too.

However, every year there are new and even better playmakers that come out, and with the luxury of having 2 first round picks in the next two upcoming years, it gives us so much more leverage and options.

Believe me, I would rather have traded with Cleveland. However, the one thing you need to understand is that maybe Cleveland never agreed to make a deal with us. That is why we ended up trading with Washington.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

This is a GREAT trade and a great day for Rams fans. If Kalil, Blackmon and Claiborne are gone, so be it. The Rams will still have the opportunity to get a top player at #6 (Richardson, Kirkpatrick, Reiff, etc.) and having two high second round picks in THIS draft is HUGE. Oh, and those two other first rounders for the future don't suck either.

Glad this got done early. Now the Rams can really plan for the draft without wondering where they'll be picking. I'm psyched!
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

You all act as if this is over and the Rams are "stuck" at #6. It may not be. There is a chance they trade back up, or possibly down. If they do not get Blackmon the Rams have lots of ammo to sweeten the pot for existing NFL players...

Lots can still happen. But you gotta be happy about what has gone down.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Fastcat is offline Registered User

We are 2-0 this offseason... We got the coach we wanted and we traded our #1 pick... I hope all this success carries over to the regular season! I dont see blackmon being there at 6 unless cleveland gets richardson but we would be 3-0 in my eyes if we land him, or any other explosive playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I see your reasoning, and I would much rather have had more first round picks this year too.

However, every year there are new and even better playmakers that come out, and with the luxury of having 2 first round picks in the next two upcoming years, it gives us so much more leverage and options.

Believe me, I would rather have traded with Cleveland. However, the one thing you need to understand is that maybe Cleveland never agreed to make a deal with us. That is why we ended up trading with Washington.

According to Adam Schefter in the ESPN article breaking this story, "Cleveland stepped up its efforts in recent days and would have offered at least 3 #1 picks and possibly even a 2nd". There it is. If this is true, why is the Washington deal better?

Hey, I'm not mad at what we did. I'm just looking at the reasoning behind moving out of "Blackmon range" when we could have gone to #4 in a deal with Cleveland that could have been just as beneficial to us.

And RAMFANRAIDERHATER raises a good point also: maybe we're not done!!
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -03-10-2012 at 09:34 PM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Lots of picks (1st round) and good for years...

This method of picks reminds me of the patriots ways of doing things....

It also allows us to be the team trading up ., for our guy for the next few years...

Sorry for capps

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    It also allows us to be the team trading up ., for our guy for the next few years...

Sorry for capps
    That's a great point. I'm happy with the trade.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast