Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Is This the Reason We Were Snubbed??

The Way We Hear It - NFL pro football rumors and insider news from Pro Football Weekly

"In the meantime, the Ramsí inability to quickly replace the fired assistants cost them an opportunity to coach at the Senior Bowl, which would have given them an edge in evaluating many of the top-rated players in the upcoming draft. That's a missed opportunity, it would appear, they desperately could have benefited from."
    If this is the reason we were snubbed when it came to choosing teams to coach the Senior bowl, it seems our FO whiffed again ...

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Is This the Reason We Were Snubbed??

Yep, that's about the way I heard it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Yeah, I think that's it. If we wanted that gig we should have moved faster, the league prefers the coaching staff to be settled (or close to it) before you get to coach the Senior Bowl. Logical I guess that they won't offer it to us with no O-line coach and no OC, but it just sucks that we missed out.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Don't worry- Linny and the Gang and meeting now!!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, that does make sense. It still doesn't make sense why we took this long to schedule a meeting, though, unless we're targeting a coach who is/was on a playoff team for offensive coordinator.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If that's the reason we missed out, I'm not sure I would regret it. I would rather this team conduct a thorough search for an offensive coordinator that will hopefully work out than rush to find anyone to fill the position simply so we have a complete staff for the Senior Bowl. Maybe you miss this early offseason opportunity, but the guy you hire is going to be spending months with this team during the offseason and the regular season. Clearly the more important thing for '08 is filling that position.

Truth is offline Registered User

We had a coaching staff in place this past season?!?! I saw no evidence of that.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If that's the reason we missed out, I'm not sure I would regret it. I would rather this team conduct a thorough search for an offensive coordinator that will hopefully work out than rush to find anyone to fill the position simply so we have a complete staff for the Senior Bowl. Maybe you miss this early offseason opportunity, but the guy you hire is going to be spending months with this team during the offseason and the regular season. Clearly the more important thing for '08 is filling that position.
    From a priority standpoint, I completely agree. However, the question has to be asked: Where was the sense of urgency? The whiners managed to get their staff stabilized AND get our invite to coach in our place at the Senior Bowl.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Good points Nick, but you can't entirely downplay the opportunity to snag players who will actually be carrying out the coordinators directives. It is a golden opportunity missed. The chance to evaluate many ot the nations best players up close and personal while coaching them would seem to have great value. On the other hand, I suppose it would be imprudent to allow our choice of an OC to be governed by the timing of the Senior Bowl- so I suppose the situation is sort of a catch-22 if you will ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    On the other hand, I suppose it would be imprudent to allow our choice of an OC to be governed by the timing of the Senior Bowl- so I suppose the situation is sort of a catch-22 if you will ..
    But Maui, this is the exact same situation the whiners were faced with........and they managed both!

I hate to see the whiners beat us on the field, but I'm not too fond of watching them whip us in the front office either.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I hate to see the whiners beat us on the field, but I'm not too fond of watching them whip us in the front office either.
    Man !! ... that cuts deep .. why'd you have to point that out?

:x

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Man !! ... that cuts deep .. why'd you have to point that out?

:x
    I'm feelin' ya, dog. It's like I'm kicking myself in the man marbles everytime I think about it.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Why would it matter that we have not made a selection of a new OC, makes no sense too me.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The whiners managed to get their staff stabilized AND get our invite to coach in our place at the Senior Bowl.
    The ***** haven't had a winning season for six years so I'm not sure I'd point to their method of doing things as the standard we should be living up to.

I personally see nothing wrong with taking your time, interviewing a number of candidates, and selecting the best person for the job. Just because the ***** did it faster doesn't mean they did it better, nor does it mean we could have done it at the same pace. Martz has been fired from two jobs in the last three years; he probably didn't have a lot of options on the table. Meanwhile, guys like Cameron and Jackson and Callahan seem to be mentioned among a number of teams, and may take longer to weigh their choices. A PD article regarding coaching change said, "Linehan indicated that Cameron and Billick were not in a hurry to commit to another job just yet."

We know this team has a working list of 10-12 names for this position, and it's going to take a while to go through them. As a draft fanatic, I understand how great an opportunity coaching the Senior Bowl is. But ultimately, as Maui said, I don't think you can allow this decision to be governed by the Senior Bowl schedule.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-18-2008 at 06:32 PM.

The ***** haven't had a winning season for six years so I'm not sure I'd point to their method of doing things as the standard we should be living up to.

I personally see nothing wrong with taking your time, interviewing a number of candidates, and selecting the best person for the job. Just because the ***** did it faster doesn't mean they did it better, nor does it mean we could have done it at the same pace. Martz has been fired from two jobs in the last three years; he probably didn't have a lot of options on the table. Meanwhile, guys like Cameron and Jackson and Callahan seem to be mentioned among a number of teams, and may take longer to weigh their choices.

We know this team has a working list of 10-12 names for this position, and it's going to take a while to go through them. As a draft fanatic, I understand how great an opportunity coaching the Senior Bowl is. But ultimately, as Maui said, I don't think you can allow this decision to be governed by the Senior Bowl schedule.
    Well then, hopefully, all this extra time and opportunity the FO is using will land us one of those big names. It would be rather disappointing to take our time, miss an opportunity to coach in the Senior Bowl, and still get Marmied in our OC search.....wouldn't you agree?

I certainly would like to see the Rams benefit from this slow pace. Right now, the only team benefitting from our slow pace is the Niners.
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-18-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-17-2008, 04:33 PM