throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEARSOME 4 SUM Guest

reasons why Micheal Vick should /shouldn't be a Ram

This is a hot topic for everyone, St. Louis Dispatch has been reporting that the Atlanta Falcons have been contacting the Rams on Vick. now my question is should or shouldn't we consider this. He was wrong in what he did and has paid the price. You can't say to me that " Oh, no he's a dog killer" when we have Leonard Little on our starting roster. That would just be wrong. Is he really remorseful? well time and his actions will tell. Will there be a media circus. Well, most definitely. Will if distract the Rams? Well, I hope not with great teams there has always been adversity and you need to know how to handle it if you are going on top. I want to remind everyone that the Rams have said no twice to the Falcons. But I thought one time you say no that it would be the end of it. But there must be some kind of dialog going on. And last but not least does he fit our system? the Pillars. Well maybe one of the pillars should be forgive your fellowman for one day you might need to be forgiven.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: reasons why Micheal Vick should /shouldn't be a Ram

He's not very good.

It took 4 words.

FEARSOME 4 SUM Guest

and Bulger Is???? He is a great athelete is doesn't have to be a QB. Test him at other positions it couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by FEARSOME 4 SUM View Post
    and Bulger Is???? He is a great athelete is doesn't have to be a QB. Test him at other positions it couldn't hurt.
    So you want to make this a Bulger thread? Vick already hasn't played in 2 years, he won't be reinstated until next year (he's under house arrest) and he'll probably face a suspension that prevents him from participating in camp until the 4th year (many are saying he'll be suspended for a few games upon his being completely released of his legal problems). That means he'll be 31 years old when he would make the change to a different position. 3-4 years out of the league is difficult enough but to change positions is virtually impossible.

Note: Torry Holt is 32 years old and his career is winding down. Basically you think someone might want to make an investment in a player to begin development near that age?

FEARSOME 4 SUM Guest

I hate when people say things are impossible. I guess if we thought like that we wouldn't have won a superbowl game with a grocery boy bagger. Holt, Pace, Pisa was a money thing.Vick won't be. and do you really think Boller, Brock, or Null and viable back up QB's. Oh and by the way I am not totally sold on Vick. But we have to consider it as an option.

I hate when people say things are impossible.
    I didn't say impossible, I said virtually impossible. There is a difference.

oh and learn sentence structure.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

This is a hot topic for everyone, St. Louis Dispatch has been reporting that the Atlanta Falcons have been contacting the Rams on Vick. now my question is should or shouldn't we consider this. He was wrong in what he did and has paid the price. You can't say to me that " Oh, no he's a dog killer" when we have Leonard Little on our starting roster. That would just be wrong. Is he really remorseful? well time and his actions will tell. Will there be a media circus. Well, most definitely. Will if distract the Rams? Well, I hope not with great teams there has always been adversity and you need to know how to handle it if you are going on top. I want to remind everyone that the Rams have said no twice to the Falcons. But I thought one time you say no that it would be the end of it. But there must be some kind of dialog going on. And last but not least does he fit our system? the Pillars. Well maybe one of the pillars should be forgive your fellowman for one day you might need to be forgiven.
    I have the classic Harley T-Shirt that says "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".

Well, my friend, if you do not see the difference between someone who made a horrible mistake with disastrous results, (and who incidentally got off way lighter than he should have), and someone who repeatedly took pleasure in torturing another sentinent being, and in different ways, (and who was probably punished more severely than he should have been), then all I can say is this.

The guy's got serious problems, and I don't want him on the team, period.

Plus, he basically sucks as a QB.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -06-02-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    I have the classic Harley T-Shirt that says "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".

Well, my friend, if you do not see the difference between someone who made a horrible mistake with disatrous results, (and who incidentally got off way lighter than he should have), and someone who repeatedly took pleasure in torturing another sentinent being, and in different ways, (and who was probably punished more severely than he should have been), then all I can say is this.

The guy's got serious problems, and I don't want him on the team, period.

Plus, he basically sucks as a QB.
    Yep. Agreed.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Here is where i stand on this:

There is no way we trade for him period.

However most likely he will be dumped like Holt and Pace. So i think we should offer Micheal Vick a pre-season invite.

The way i see his "character problems" is its up to Spags and Billy D. Vick did the wrong thing and had about 2 years to think about it. So its hard to judge him on his time preceding the lock up. He might be a changed man; he might not. I think that is up to Spags and Billy D to decide.

We can take Mike Vick in as a pre-season invite see how he does and how much of a team guy he is. We dont only try him out at QB, but WR too. Vick is a playmaker and if he can catch the football it would be great for us (we are thin at WR). Vick is very athletic so maybe just maybe we try him at CB (but i doubt it im just throwing it out there).

Also Vick can become a bail-out plan. Let's say we start the season with Bulger struggling. He is not injured and he is being sacked as much most other QBs in the NFL. He is just struggling and go into the bye at 2-6 or worse. We can put the scrabbling Mike Vick in and see if he can make plays.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I think that we're all forgetting one thing.... Vick will put some butts in the seats of EJD. Love him, hate him, think he's right for the team or not, you have to admit that he sells tickets because he puts on a show.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I was at the Bears game last year, there were a lot more empty seats then I like to see (and half of the people that WERE there were sporting their new Hester jerseys) You have to believe that this is something that was/is considered by the front office when deciding on a move like this.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I've been putting off rebutting the flawed logic I see people posting about Vick, but I can't take it anymore, so let me address some of the things the Vick supporters have been saying.

Those of you that think Vick would boost our attendance I think are looking at it all wrong. I think you are underestimating the HATE animal lovers and others have for this man. Do you just ignore the thousands of post on every teams message board and other forums where fans say they will leave thier team if vick becomes a part of it. Whatever team Vick signs with will lose more fans than they gain. I guarantee it.

I also hear people saying well Vick will bring lots of press, and any press for the Rams is good press, right? WRONG. I sure as heck don't want to have to put up with a season or more worth of picketers and protesters from PETA and other animal rights groups that you can be assured will be at EVERY game. Then there's the endless interview questions that will be asked of every player and coach at every press conference Vick's new team holds. And do you think every player will support Vick? I doubt it. There will be instant divisions in the locker room between thiose for and against him. How long will it be before one of his teammates makes a very public anti Vick statement and how do you think that will affect the team? Do you really want this for the Rams???

And let's not forget he wass not a very good QB when he was here...75.7 career QB rating, 156 passing ypg and 52 rushing ypg averages...91 career TDs vs 107 INTs/fumbles. All that adds up to average or below average to me, so why after such a long break do you think he will be better? To run some of that wildcat crap we saw so many try last year? No thank you. If not a QB, what then? Do you really think he could change positions so late into his career and be effective? I don't see it happening.

There's is so little to gain here, and so much to lose I honestly don't know why any team would go for it. You guys need to quit dreaming and come back to reality. Vick will NEVER be a Ram, and chances are good will never play in the NFL again. Not because he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance, but because I doubt any owner/GM is stupid enough to think the good he might bring could in any way outweigh the bad.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -05-21-2009 at 05:50 PM.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
    I think that we're all forgetting one thing.... Vick will put some butts in the seats of EJD. Love him, hate him, think he's right for the team or not, you have to admit that he sells tickets because he puts on a show.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I was at the Bears game last year, there were a lot more empty seats then I like to see (and half of the people that WERE there were sporting their new Hester jerseys) You have to believe that this is something that was/is considered by the front office when deciding on a move like this.
    TOTAL B.S. ....

Winning games will put butts in the stands, it won't take anything else ...

The presence of Vick could actually take people out of the stands. Believe it or not, there are people in the world that think other things are more important than football ...

I have a dog, I love him to death, he is a part of my family. I detest Michael Vick for what he did. Do I think he deserves another chance? Absolutely, he paid his dues and he has a right to return to society and return to his profession ...

Regardless, he's not a very good QB, and he would be overpaid at any other position he would play, the only real option being WR or DB ...

BarronWade is offline Registered User

This guy hates the Vick talks

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I've been putting off rebutting the flawed logic I see people posting about Vick, but I can't take it anymore, so let me address some of the things the Vick supporters have been saying.
    I will now address what your saying

Those of you that think Vick would boost our attendance I think are looking at it all wrong. I think you are underestimating the HATE animal lovers and others have for this man. Do you just ignore the thousands of post on every teams message board and other forums where fans say they will leave thier team if vick becomes a part of it. Whatever team Vick signs with will lose more fans than they gain. I guarantee it.
    Okay "those" unloyal fans can stop loving there team i really dont care. Because the people that come to the game to watch the Rams are loyal fans. Because i really dont care if those so-called "fans" leave "their" team just because "their" gives a bankrupt convict a second chance.

I also hear people saying well Vick will bring lots of press, and any press for the Rams is good press, right? WRONG. I sure as heck don't want to have to put up with a season or more worth of picketers and protesters from PETA and other animal rights groups that you can be assured will be at EVERY game. Then there's the endless interview questions that will be asked of every player and coach at every press conference Vick's new team holds. And do you think every player will support Vick? I doubt it. There will be instant divisions in the locker room between thiose for and against him. How long will it be before one of his teammates makes a very public anti Vick statement and how do you think that will affect the team? Do you really want this for the Rams???
    So your comparing Mike Vick to TO now. You do know Vick had about 2 years to think about what he did wrong. And if there is a division in the locker room because of Vick; Spags is not going to put up with it he will hold a team meeting. Also if Vick does come i dont think the Rams will be fighting over a back-up.

lol about those protesters and picketers i dont mind. We can always say there just tailgating outside the EJD.

Also the Rams are an NFL team and players know that they will be interviewed and all that its a part of pro sports they know what to do.

And let's not forget he wass not a very good QB when he was here...75.7 career QB rating, 156 passing ypg and 52 rushing ypg averages...91 career TDs vs 107 INTs/fumbles. All that adds up to average or below average to me, so why after such a long break do you think he will be better? To run some of that wildcat crap we saw so many try last year? No thank you. If not a QB, what then? Do you really think he could change positions so late into his career and be effective? I don't see it happening.
    what do you expect a back-up QB to be? ABove average?

Obviously your not just quoting this forum because no one brought the wildcat.

We can try him at a different position in pre-season. We might get a good player for the league minimum.

There's is so little to gain here, and so much to lose I honestly don't know why any team would go for it. You guys need to quit dreaming and come back to reality. Vick will NEVER be a Ram, and chances are good will never play in the NFL again. Not because he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance, but because I doubt any owner/GM is stupid enough to think the good he might bring could in any way outweigh the bad.
    Little to gain and much to lose? are you talking about Mike Vick or Terrel Owens?

We can get Vick for the league minimum and if he doesn't give us anything we bearly pay him anything. But he plays well we get a lot for a little.

Well there are no rumors about vick coming to St. louis just speculation. But Vick is worth considering for the Rams.

How is getting Vick stupid? You get tailgater (protestors), extra security (cops), fans (people wearing vick's jersey which you can get for $5), camera men (maybe a reality show).

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Just a few thoughts here:

1. Putting character and public image aside, he hasn't played in two years and wasn't very accurate then. He'll be 29 before the season starts, and that makes him too old to really be looked at as a possible quarterback of the future, especially since so much of his game hinges on his ability to run. Again with the age thing, he's too old to try out as a project at a new position. By the time he was an effective route runner as a receiver, he'd be ready to retire.

2. His skill set basically requires you to build the offense around him, which makes him ill-suited to be a back-up. You wouldn't want to have to rewrite your playbook week to week based on whether you're using the guy who can run or the guy who can throw straight.

3. Regarding second chances, the dog-fighting was not exactly the first time Vick stirred up negative publicity that would embarrass his team. Ron Mexico ring a bell to anyone?

GreatCowGuru Guest

Vick is busy building a new career in construction. Yes, I know that was a lousy pun, but I don't wish to see him in horns. As a creature who has natural horns, let me tell you - there are few who deserve to wear horns, and Vick is not one of them.

Then again, neither was Lawrence Phillips.

Besides, I think we will see Vick MOOOOO-ving into something besides football.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast