RamWraith is offline Registered User

Reasons why the Rams are winning? Here are a couple

By Bill Coats 11/20/2007 2:28 pm

Looking for reasons behind the Rams’ sudden success? One crucial area is time of possession, which sometimes is overlooked.

In the 37-29 victory Nov. 11 at New Orleans, the Rams had the ball for a whopping 39 minutes 42 seconds, compared with 20:18 for the Saints. In the 13-9 win Sunday at San Francisco, the Rams’ edge was 34:18 vs. 25:42.

That means that during its two-game “winning streak,” the Rams have been in possession 61.7 percent of the time. “When the offense is holding the ball and you’re sitting on the sideline, that’s the best defense you can play,” defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said.

Want more answers? Let’s turn to turnovers.

The Rams were a woeful minus-11 in takeaways/giveaways during their opening 0-8 slide. In the two wins, they didn’t have a turnover and were plus-4.

Really, it’s not a complicated game.

Both halves Sunday ended with a Rams interception:

>>Cornerback Tye Hill picked off Trent Dilfer’s pass for wideout Darrell Jackson at the Rams 32-yard line 14 seconds before halftime.

>>Free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe thwarted another Dilfer-to-Jackson try, leaping and grabbing the toss at the goal line as the final seconds ran off.

“That’s usually pretty indicative of how the secondary played,” said coach Scott Linehan, who was particularly pleased with his defensive backs vs. the Niners.

Notes & quotes:

>>As expected the Rams re-signed offensive lineman Todd Steussie on Tuesday. WR Travis Taylor was cut to free up a roster spot. Linehan didn’t rule out the possibility of starting Steussie, who has recovered from foot surgery during the preseason, on Sunday when the Seahawks visit. At what position? No decision yet, but don’t be surprised if it’s on the right side.

>>C/G Brett Romberg (ankle) missed his third game in a row after having a “little setback last week in practice,” Linehan said.

>>Both Linehan and offensive Greg Olson noted that QB Marc Bulger still is holding on to the ball too long in some situations, leading to sacks.

>>The unusual experiment at RT, where Brandon Gorin and Rob Petitti have been “auditioning” by rotating series, may soon be over. Olson indicated that the coaches are close to deciding between the two.

All for now. . .

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Reasons why the Rams are winning? Here are a couple

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bill Coats 11/20/2007 2:28 pm

>>Both Linehan and offensive Greg Olson noted that QB Marc Bulger still is holding on to the ball too long in some situations, leading to sacks.
    How tough is Marc Bulger?

Here you have Linehan and Olson bringing up the issue of Marc hanging onto the ball to long again. I do agree with the coaches that Marc should be throwing the ball away rather than taking all these sacks. Marc Bulger knowing that the coaches are on his side if he throws away the ball to avoid a sack continues to hang in there and try to make something positive happen knowing he's going to get crushed whether he completes a pass or is sacked. This guy is tough as nails.

Ramanator is offline Registered User

He may be tuff as nails but by hanging onto the ball so long it proves he ain't smart as a whip.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramanator View Post
    He may be tuff as nails but by hanging onto the ball so long it proves he ain't smart as a whip.
    Well said, whippersnapper!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I was noticing against the whiners that Mark was hanging on too long...maybe he is too worried about picks? Maybe a concussion or two has slowed him down? trying too hard? I don't know, but I caught myself yelling at the TV at least 3 times for him to throw it...it can't be confidence in the O-line!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I was noticing against the whiners that Mark was hanging on too long...maybe he is too worried about picks? Maybe a concussion or two has slowed him down? trying too hard? I don't know, but I caught myself yelling at the TV at least 3 times for him to throw it...it can't be confidence in the O-line!!
    I quipped on another site that maybe it was because sacks don't hurt his stats and inc or int's do. Wasn't a popular quip, needless to say.

I think he is waiting for the receiver to get separation and the pocket collapses before he can set and release. He cannot throw it out of bounds and risk an intentional grounding unless he is outside the tackle box and then has to throw it in the vicinity of the line of scrimmage. He could overthrow a receiver but needs a large enough empty area to land it, and a throwing lane to get it there.

I just know he needs to get rid of it because getting hurt doesnt help us any either.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

It doesn't seem like he is checking the entire field though, he almost has that Kurt Warner deer in the headlights looks to me. But I will admit he is a hard guy to read....

"...maybe it was because sacks don't hurt his stats and inc or int's do.." Now that's funny!

Joe

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    It doesn't seem like he is checking the entire field though, he almost has that Kurt Warner deer in the headlights looks to me.

Joe
    WOW! Kurt Warner deer in the headlights? That hurt.

Linehan since day one has changed the Offensive units approach to turnovers. Martz didn't care and the players got used to that attitude. Bulger must have that "protect the ball at all costs ringing in his head" from Linehan. Thus the sacks instead of throwing the ball away?

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

i really hope he is just not seeing a genuine option, rather than thinking about his stats. thats gonna be a football sin surely

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

You're in a car going down the road at 55 MPH...there is a huge ravine on one side filled with hydrochloric acid and pool of hot molten lava on the other side of the road...and a UPS truck with 10 steel jousting poles welded to the front is about to hit you head-on...which do you pick?...1001...1002...1003...time's up!

Your answer?

WWBD? (What Would Bulger Do?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah no slam on Bulger or Warner, it could be any quarterback that has been sacked too much....it just seems that after a season of getting smacked like that they do get "stuck" with the ball more than is safe for their health!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    You're in a car going down the road at 55 MPH...there is a huge ravine on one side filled with hydrochloric acid and pool of hot molten lava on the other side of the road...and a UPS truck with 10 steel jousting poles welded to the front is about to hit you head-on...which do you pick?...1001...1002...1003...time's up!

Your answer?

WWBD? (What Would Bulger Do?)
    Soil my pants?

Do my version of the phantom sack?

Hold my ground and take one for the team?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    WOW! Kurt Warner deer in the headlights? That hurt.

Linehan since day one has changed the Offensive units approach to turnovers. Martz didn't care and the players got used to that attitude. Bulger must have that "protect the ball at all costs ringing in his head" from Linehan. Thus the sacks instead of throwing the ball away?
    I pretty much agree with your assessment, LaRam.

However, the Lions lead the league in sacks (41 and counting as I write this) and yet they are playing better than .500 ball. Well, probably only .500 after today, and the Warner-led team is .500.

Whether it be injuries, coaching, call playing, ownership, front office, or any number of nefarious probabilities, I don't see a quick fix. There absolutely is room for improvement through smart(er) drafting and free agent signings.

But most of you guys are a lot more football smart than I am and I am only stating the obvious.

However, I still choose to remain cautiously optimistic and have made a fresh batch of Kool-Aid for the remainder of the season!

Who wants a glass?!?!?:l
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Soil my pants?

Do my version of the phantom sack?

Hold my ground and take one for the team?
    Soil your pants is a given. I.m thinking open the sunroof and do a Jackie Chan flip....except the poo in the pants would throw you off balance and you would land in the molten lava.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]