BEER is offline Registered User

Is this the Rebuild!

I feel its happening again. We got rid of Shaw and Zig but were still doing
    what we did for Martz, Linny, nothing. Now We have the same team except for the
    center! I thought we would rebuild like KC, Denver, chargers, but no we have
    put spags in the same situation as the other coaches. Rebuild means just
    that, rebuild. Get rid of not all but most. Start over is what it really means.

If they dont do more than this it mean the Rams are moving is what im
    trying to say....... And "no", the draft wont fix this in my theory.
    Last edited by BEER; -03-04-2009 at 09:46 PM.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: Is this the Rebuild!

I disagree, rebuilding doesn't mean cut most of your team and start over. To me it means employ patience and focus your strategy upon the "long term", cutting your immediate losses in order to gain leverage over the team's future. sometimes that means identifying young prospects that can be groomed into a new system. OR, not spending lots of money on some guy who only has a couple years left in the tank and instead, investing in younger cheaper prospects. Doesn't mean you have to cut most... its just a strategy thing.

....but your point is not lost on me. The question of what the Rams are really doing different this year than they have in years past in order to succeed is a valid one.

but, Rams let a lot of free agents walk this year and only pursued one of them... Bartell. they've also made some cuts (see Green; chavous; Bennett) while shopping Pace and Holt.

they've also been dealt a very short deck....
    KC and Denver have had the luxury of more cap space to work with then the Rams have. A complete overhaul just wasn't an option for the Rams. But I think they've started making the changes they can afford to make in order to get the team younger and competitive. A better defensive scheme might help them too.

Lastly, they're not done. there's lots of time on the clock as far as free agency goes.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    I disagree, rebuilding doesn't mean cut most of your team and start over. To me it means employ patience and focus your strategy upon the "long term", cutting your immediate losses in order to gain leverage over the team's future. sometimes that means identifying young prospects that can be groomed into a new system. OR, not spending lots of money on some guy who only has a couple years left in the tank and instead, investing in younger cheaper prospects. Doesn't mean you have to cut most... its just a strategy thing.

....but your point is not lost on me. The question of what the Rams are really doing different this year than they have in years past in order to succeed is a valid one.

but, Rams let a lot of free agents walk this year and only pursued one of them... Bartell. they've also made some cuts (see Green; chavous; Bennett) while shopping Pace and Holt.

KC and Denver have had the luxury of more cap space to work with then the Rams have. A complete overhaul just wasn't an option for the Rams. But I think they've started making the changes they can afford to make in order to get the team younger and competitive. A better defensive scheme might help them too.

Lastly, they're not done. there's lots of time on the clock as far as free agency goes.
    I think this was incredibly well put sir. Kudos to you. It's worth noting that a team like the Redskins that constantly throw money into the FA pool year after year really don't have much to show for it. Sure they're contenders some years, but do wildcard losses and near playoff misses speak volumes for a team burning through that much money?
    I think the Rams are doing what they need to do so far in this offseason, playing it cool. We did score who I believe was the #1 available lineman which is great. There were a couple of players I would have liked to see them pursue such as Bart Scott or even Stacy Andrews, but I guess I'm a firm believer in the draft (despite or woes over the past few years).
    Patience is a virtue friends, and at the conclusion of the next year or two, I'm confident our patience with this team will pay big dividends.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I think the fact that the Rams had 18 UFA's this year may fool people into thinking there hasn't been a lot of change. We have only resigned two of those and we have released Corey, Trent and Drew to bring our grand total of 19 members of last year's team not on this year's team yet. Even for a rebuild model cutting/loosing 19 players is pretty significant.

Now understand that without those 19 players we still didn't have a ton of cap space. This just goes to show how bad the last guys screwed up the contracts.

But all that being said think of it this way... if any other team in the league had a free agency period where they signed Brown, Atogwe, Bartell and maybe Butler they would be doing back flips. Fans would be going crazy. Plus we still have the draft... hot damn!

So I understand it doesn't feel massive but a quick look of the numbers says it's been a very active time for the Rams.

With a new coach, new schemes, new players and a new attitude trust me... this won't be the same team hitting the field in 09.

(my numbers may be off a little but the sentiment is still the same.)

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Your right about the draft not fixing everything, but how the hell does hiring a new coach or making a change in almost every single coaching position not rebuilding. In that case, what does get rid of ..."not all, but most" even mean?..I think some will agree with me when I say rebuilding also has to do with the morale, attitude and the environment as a whole. Not everything is perfect, and we may not even be to a fast start next season, but if you feel like nothings changed maybe you should just focus more on what you put as your screen name instead of what you put in your avatar..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    I feel its happening again. We got rid of Shaw and Zig but were still doing
    what we did for Martz, Linny, nothing. Now We have the same team except for the
    center! I thought we would rebuild like KC, Denver, chargers, but no we have
    put spags in the same situation as the other coaches. Rebuild means just
    that, rebuild. Get rid of not all but most. Start over is what it really means.

If they dont do more than this it mean the Rams are moving is what im
    trying to say....... And "no", the draft wont fix this in my theory.
    These are fair points. I for one was very excited when we brought in Linehan and Haslett only to be disappointed. Then we added Saunders and my feeling was that the final piece of the puzzle was finally in place. Only to be further disappointed. The biggest problem in my mind is not so much the overall talent of our team. It's more the morale, toughness and discipline that is lacking.
    It's going to take Spags and his coaching staff some time to figure out which players on our roster are buying into the new approach/attitude created by the staff.
    So again we need to be patient and hope that Spags can turn this ship around. It's alot easier to change the names and faces compared to changing attitudes. Spags has already released some of the deadwood and brought in some new blood. There are many steps to the process and I'm liking what I'm reading so far.
    Who knows a solid draft and things could turn faster than even I expect.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I agree with KoaKoi. Couldn't have said it better.

viper is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post

Very true...I agree as well. The draft should help and I'm looking forward to that. I sure don't want to be paying top dollar for free agents on the down side of their career. And we only have so many cap dollars to work with.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Not all rebuilds are good--KC nolonger has a Herm walking the sidelines. So it takes time to rebuild properly. Getting a strong top knock Center is a great start--besides the QB the Center is the leader on the field. I like the idea that possible they are building an O-line around the Center.

With Questions about Holt--it might be harder to rebuild since there maybe one more need