throwback week



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,695
    Rep Power
    83

    Rebuilding the Offensive line

    Anyone up for drafting andre smith in round one and caldwell, the alabama center at the top of round 2? That would sure be a good start from my perspective.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel



  2. #2
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    I am seeing these guys first hand, since I live in Bama. Anybody who says Andre Smith cannot be a LT at the pro level isn't paying close enough attention. The guy is an absolute impenetrable monster ...

    I would say draft these guys one/two in a heartbeat. But from what I hear, Devaney is very high on the senior Wake Forest LB, I believe his name is Curry. I wonder where he falls in the draft ....

  3. #3
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,050
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    I said something similar to this in another post, about NFL DC's new mock draft, where Alex Mack is passed on in the first round.

    Personally, I'm not sure what I would do. One the one hand, it would certainly solidify our line, but on the other hand we're ignoring other, obviously pressing needs. Speculating is hard...

  4. #4
    Mooselini Guest

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I said something similar to this in another post, about NFL DC's new mock draft, where Alex Mack is passed on in the first round.

    Personally, I'm not sure what I would do. One the one hand, it would certainly solidify our line, but on the other hand we're ignoring other, obviously pressing needs. Speculating is hard...
    Center isn't a pressing need? I would have to argue here.

    Certainly, we have five major needs. OT, C, FB, SS, MLB. That's not in any order what so ever.

    I wouldn't mind getting an OT in round one and a C in round two. However, we need to fix the MLB position too.

    It depends on who the best player available is on the second round. If it happens to be a MLB, SS or C, take the best one.

  5. #5
    BIG-BLUE's Avatar
    BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Roseville,CA USA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    A stud tackle is needed bad & will be available to us in the 1st round. The 2nd round I wouldn't be upset at the pick of a center but would prefer to see a MLB here & grab a center in the 3rd or 4th. The kid from Cal or the kid from Oregon would be sweet & hopefully there in the mid rounds. Of course FA will change our needs in the draft, just hope who ever winds up in charge has the background to put together a solid team.

  6. #6
    BEER's Avatar
    BEER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    896
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Center isn't a pressing need? I would have to argue here.

    Certainly, we have five major needs. OT, C, FB, SS, MLB. That's not in any order what so ever.

    I wouldn't mind getting an OT in round one and a C in round two. However, we need to fix the MLB position too.

    It depends on who the best player available is on the second round. If it happens to be a MLB, SS or C, take the best one.
    This was a great post. Most in part to it is logical. You should be the GM.

  7. #7
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,166
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    We have a lot of options this draft. There are a bunch of ways we can draft o-linemen this draft.

    What do you guys think about this.
    We draft Andre Smith(T) in the first round, trade to get another second round pick, then draft Herman Johnson(G) in the second round, and Patrick Chung(SS) or Rashad Johnson(SS) also in the second round. Then for the third round, I know that Johnathan Luigs(C) or Antoine Caldwell(C) will be available when we pick, so we can get one of them. Then for the fourth round, we get Scott Mckillop(MLB).

    I say that is a heck of a draft if you ask me.

    Round 1: Tackle- Andre Smith
    Round 2: Guard- Herman Johnson
    Round 2: Strong Safety- Chung or Johnson
    Round 3: Center- Luigs or Caldwell
    Round 4: MLB- Scott Mckillop (A tackling machine)
    Round 5-7: BPA

    I would like us to upgrade the guard position, because Incognito, while he may be a decent blocker, is causing too many problems for us. Plus the fact that Bell is undersized and has not produced very many positive results, it led me to believe that Herman Johnson, a monster guard, should solidify our interior. Add a rookie center into the mix with the likes of Luigs or Caldwell, then we would have a very good o-line.

    So, it should look something like:

    Pace-Johnson-Luigs/Caldwell-Greco/Cogs-Smith
    LT LG C RG RT



    Or, we can pick Herman Johnson AND Alex Mack in the second round, and then pick a safety in the third round.

    I would be happy with both options.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -12-16-2008 at 07:07 PM.

  8. #8
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Center isn't a pressing need? I would have to argue here.

    Certainly, we have five major needs. OT, C, FB, SS, MLB. That's not in any order what so ever.

    I wouldn't mind getting an OT in round one and a C in round two. However, we need to fix the MLB position too.

    It depends on who the best player available is on the second round. If it happens to be a MLB, SS or C, take the best one.
    I like this post. But I don't think we need a FB, assuming Saunders is still the OC here which I believe he will be. The H-Back is really more important to Saunders than a true FB. I think Daniel Fells is going to fill the FB / H-Back role just fine ...

    He has good hands and seems to be an excellent blocker. Throw Brian Leonard in there for spot duty and I think we have all we need ...

    I definitely think our needs are as follows:

    1. OT
    2. MLB
    3. SS
    4. DE
    5. C

  9. #9
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    Look at the dramatic improvement in stats wen Romberg came in. We are giving up way fewer sacks Romberg is a better leader and is making better calls. I don't think Romberg is the future and we could do better, but He slides center down the need chart a little. This is a deep center class we have a ton of needs we need to address. We cna draft a cneter to develop or a guy who could take over later like A.Q. Shipley of Penn state. Just look at the colts who drated 3 centers last year in the 2nd, 4th, and 7th all 3 of those centers have started at some point. We could find a guy to do the same thing.

    In the fitrst I think we have to draft Andre Smith he upgrades the line and then go with a SS, LB, or even a QB depending on how the new coach feals about Bulger.

  10. #10
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Center isn't a pressing need? I would have to argue here.

    Certainly, we have five major needs. OT, C, FB, SS, MLB. That's not in any order what so ever.

    I wouldn't mind getting an OT in round one and a C in round two. However, we need to fix the MLB position too.

    It depends on who the best player available is on the second round. If it happens to be a MLB, SS or C, take the best one.
    My thoughts exactly.

  11. #11
    unorthodox1999's Avatar
    unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    645
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    going after a certain spot in the 1st round can really be tempting to go in a new direction, especially when the team is in desperate needs in other positions as well, but i think we need to lock up smith for sure, anything else just pile 'em up in later rounds.

  12. #12
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,576
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    No doubt, whatsover, we need to go OL big time. I like Rockin's first two round selections in Andre Smith and Herman Johnson. Of course, an alternate at T would be Michael Oher. We cant' go wrong here!

    Rebuild.
    Must develop Greco to a C+ / C grade. [1]
    I'd keep both Romberg at center and Cog at guard on a C grade. [2, 3]
    Pace stays B+, considering an injury free / freer 2009 season. [4]
    Baron passes with a D+ this time. He's learning basic arithmetic well. [5]
    Leckey either passes or flunks early in training camp. Might stay at C-. [6]
    Looking forward to seeing Mark Setterstrom come back strong, make team and succeed w/ C+ score. [7]
    Adam Goldberg could stay as a fully developed OL (G / T) with a C+ value. [8]


    Plus [two] rookies = 10 OL. Overall potential to upgrade our OL to a C+ / B-? // What about our OL coach?

    Will have plenty to choose from and the chosen candidates to compete among themselves.
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-17-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Coach

  13. #13
    Keenum's Avatar
    Keenum is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    Yes, I've seen Andre play a lot, and he's got a load of talent.

  14. #14
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,438
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    We have a lot of options this draft. There are a bunch of ways we can draft o-linemen this draft.

    What do you guys think about this.
    We draft Andre Smith(T) in the first round, trade to get another second round pick, then draft Herman Johnson(G) in the second round, and Patrick Chung(SS) or Rashad Johnson(SS) also in the second round. Then for the third round, I know that Johnathan Luigs(C) or Antoine Caldwell(C) will be available when we pick, so we can get one of them. Then for the fourth round, we get Scott Mckillop(MLB).

    I say that is a heck of a draft if you ask me.

    Round 1: Tackle- Andre Smith
    Round 2: Guard- Herman Johnson
    Round 2: Strong Safety- Chung or Johnson
    Round 3: Center- Luigs or Caldwell
    Round 4: MLB- Scott Mckillop (A tackling machine)
    Round 5-7: BPA

    I would like us to upgrade the guard position, because Incognito, while he may be a decent blocker, is causing too many problems for us. Plus the fact that Bell is undersized and has not produced very many positive results, it led me to believe that Herman Johnson, a monster guard, should solidify our interior. Add a rookie center into the mix with the likes of Luigs or Caldwell, then we would have a very good o-line.

    So, it should look something like:

    Pace-Johnson-Luigs/Caldwell-Greco/Cogs-Smith
    LT LG C RG RT



    Or, we can pick Herman Johnson AND Alex Mack in the second round, and then pick a safety in the third round.

    I would be happy with both options.
    With Greco and Schuening on the roster, I'd rather re-sign Setterstrom and let Cogs go if we can't keep both.

    MS is RFA & probably will be cheaper. Certainly can't let Bell's money be dead weight. I can't see see us going guard in RD2,considering the options above.

    I agree with the others; take BPA at OT, C,SS, or DL/LB with the first picks at least.

    This is no time to be stockpiling at positions that are weaker than we'd like when there are gaping voids/ total lack of longterm depth at others. Smacks of Linehan Tightenditis to me.

    Wild card: a switch to 3-4 D. Then a monster NT run stuffer like Terrance Taylor (MICH) in RD2 might make sense.

  15. #15
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Rebuilding the Offensive line

    I'd be OK with it I suppose, but I'd much rather see us actually pursue another high quality free agent on the line. If it were up to me, I'd throw enough money at Jordan Gross to sign him, draft a center in the second round, and see if Barron could compete as a guard. In the mean time, our picks from last year and the return of Setterstrom should be enough to give us some more competition and depth along the line. Keep Romberg and Goldberg, as they are nice depth players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams line ranked 22 and 2nd in NFC West
    By 39thebeast in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -06-21-2008, 12:29 PM
  2. Rams Offensive Line Poised to Be a Team Strength
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
  3. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
  4. Rams Best Offensive Line ever
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -01-28-2006, 01:02 PM
  5. Rams hope draft improves offensive line
    By HUbison in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -04-26-2005, 03:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •