Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rebuilding the Rams' D: Easier Said Than Done

That a good move on your part Avenger, I’m off of Greenway ran a 4.75 in the 40 and only did 16 reps. To slow and soft.

With Huff and Davis moving up the board. Now Greenway looks weak, I don’t see us getting value at 11. Someone give me a player we can get at 11, that is worth the pick.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm warming up to the idea Jimmy Williams if his workout goes well.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I would not like Jimmy Williams at #11. The kid is immature and I have questions about his intelligence. I would prefer Tye Hill at #11 to Jimmy Williams.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Tye Hill is very small, and projects only as a CB. Williams has the size to play FS.

Williams has the size to play FS.
    But does he have the maturity and dedication to play football? He has a lot of talent, but he still has a lot of work to do in his head. He's an interesting selection, but because of his past I couldnt justify a selection at #11.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    But does he have the maturity and dedication to play football? He has a lot of talent, but he still has a lot of work to do in his head. He's an interesting selection, but because of his past I couldnt justify a selection at #11.
    RJ39, a bit of constructive criticism, if you'll allow me to provide it...

You have a tendency to knee-jerk your opinions based upon what you read. I have no doubt that you read somewhere in the past few weeks that Williams is immature, and now you repeat it as Gospel. But the truth is, you don't know him, and you don't know if the person who wrote that comment does either.

My take is as follows. Every single player that will be drafted is, to an extent, immature. All people in their early 20s are, to an extent, immature.

The question is, does the immaturity impact performance on the field? With some players, it does. I think one could argue that players like Pac-Man Jones and Sean Taylor have had trouble (to various degrees) getting on the field, staying on the field, and playing on the field due to their immaturity.

Others outgrow these problems. I remember when the Rams drafted Pisa Tinoisamoa some reported that he was immature, as he had apparently gotten into some trouble as a teen. But he's been a "model citizen" since he's been with the Rams.

The point is, there is only so much we can know about a player's "character," and anecdotal commentary should not be given too much stock.

You have a tendency to knee-jerk your opinions based upon what you read. I have no doubt that you read somewhere in the past few weeks that Williams is immature, and now you repeat it as Gospel. But the truth is, you don't know him, and you don't know if the person who wrote that comment does either.
    Actually I base that opinion on some of his on the field antics. He reminds me a lot of Sean Taylor in the way he carries himself on the field. I broke down tape of Williams and I dont like what I see. He seems to get lost in coverage sometimes and it resulted in big plays for the offense.

I dont base my opinions upon what other people say. I like to scope things out myself. Yes, I did read somewhere where someone questioned Williams' maturity, so I made sure to watch that a little more closely when I studied him. Thats where I saw some things that I just didnt like.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I broke down tape of Williams and I dont like what I see. He seems to get lost in coverage sometimes and it resulted in big plays for the offense.
    Sorry, dude, but I'm going to have to call "BS" on you on this one.

I did some quick research, and found that in the entire 2006 season, the VaTech defense gave up a total of 6 passing plays of over 30 yards (the longest being 46 yards).

I could not tell who had the coverage on each of those six plays, but I'd say its safe to assume they weren't all Williams' fault.

Let's assume he was responsible for half of those plays (a generous assumption for your position). Three plays in the 30-50 yard range in an entire season is hardly indicative of someone who has the problem of getting "lost in coverage."

Guess I'm going to need some more specific examples from you before you have me convinced that Williams isn't a worthy candidate for the Rams' selection.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'll need to see some more about him before saying one way or the other, but he does seem just a little bit overboard on the cocky side. Like having "Destined 2" and "Be Great" tattoed on forearms as reminders to himself in his own words. It doesn't project quite the same image as D'Brickashaw showing up in a suit to what he considers a job interview or Hali talking about how he is working to get his mother out of Liberia or even Hawk acting almost offended that anyone would think he would not workout at the combine just because he's expected to be the best at his position. Now it's hard to say how much maturity you really need to play football, but some guys do come off more like men and others like boys. So far all the quotes I've heard from Williams are more towards the latter.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Awwww, but remember Primetime Deon? Cocky and arrogant he was, to extreme...but backed it up. For that position in particular, one must have such over the top confidence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I don't see how Coakley returns from the injury at his age. His leg was shattered.

Regardless of the injury, I don't know why the Rams would even want him back.

I did some quick research, and found that in the entire 2006 season, the VaTech defense gave up a total of 6 passing plays of over 30 yards (the longest being 46 yards).
    I dont have a lot of tape from his senior season. I spent more time watching his junior season and then comparing it to what I saw from his senior season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12