RealRam is offline Registered User

Receiver Pettis stands out at OTAs

Receiver Pettis stands out at OTAs
    By Jim Thomas / STL Post-Dispatch
    Thursday, June 14, 2013; 1 a.m.

If they handed out a spring MVP at Rams Park, the 2013 award probably goes to wide receiver Austin Pettis. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer all but said as much during a media session Tuesday.

"Quite honestly, he’s probably having the best camp of all the skill players," Schottenheimer said. "He’s just a tireless worker. Very competitive. ... He’s having a tremendous spring."

Amid all the excitement over draft picks Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, all the talk about an improved Brian Quick, it is Pettis who has stood out the most during the OTA practices open to the media.

"I’m a lot more comfortable this year," Pettis said. "The coaches have given me kind of a more expanded role. And I’m just trying to do the best with that job right now and it’s worked out so far."

Pettis has been working both at split end and in the slot this spring. Continuing a trend that surfaced over the second half of last season, Pettis has been impressive in the red zone, where quarterback Sam Bradford seems to have developed a comfort level with the third-year pro from Boise State.

"We’re getting a lot more on the same page this year," Pettis said. "I’m getting a lot more reps with him this year. As a veteran guy I think we’re gonna need someone for Sam to go to, losing those great players that we had last year at wide receiver – Danny (Amendola) and Gibby (Brandon Gibson)."

Hearing the words "veteran" and "Pettis" in the same sentence may take some getting used to, but Pettis is the elder statesman in a very young wide receiver. It has not been unusual to see Pettis working with the young wide receivers on the practice field.

Pettis has displayed hands like fly paper this spring. He’s always had the long arms to go up and get the ball. And he’s developed some hesitation/change-of-direction moves that have bamboozled Rams defensive backs at times.

So perhaps he’s just experiencing the normal development and improvement as a receiver gains experience. But don’t underestimate the benefits of competition, in the form of rookies Austin and Bailey.

"I’m a very competitive person and we needed weapons on this team," Pettis said.

Who knows how it will shake out in training camp and the preseason, but right now, Pettis is getting a lot of work with the starting offense this spring.

CALIFORNIA ROOMMATES

Pettis, who is from southern California, brought Chris Givens and Quick with him to the Golden State for the early part of the offseason.

"They actually lived with me this whole offseason until we had to come back out here," Pettis said. "We were down in LA. We were running some routes out there with a few different people, and worked out at a facility down in Orange County. We got some really good work in."

"...We worked out with him one time at UCLA with a bunch of guys," Pettis said. "That was real cool. Brian actually knows him a little bit personally so that’s how we got the connection. He was just giving us some knowledge. It was real nice to have an old guy like that, he’s been in the league, he’s kind of an old head for the young receivers."

================================

Go for it AP!

Last edited by RealRam; -06-13-2013 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Go for it AP!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Receiver Pettis stands out at OTAs

Great to hear about AP's dedication and hard work to improve this year! It has to be contagious right now, the enthusiasm and expectations among Rams receivers.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Encouraging. Hopefully this translates to production on the field. He was better last year than he was in his rookie season, now another big step forward is expected.

competition does wonders for some people

viper is offline Registered User

That's great to see. I have always had a lot of confidence in Pettis. He seemed to be considered an after thought after we drafted Austin and Bailey. But, I think he will be very productive this year. Our receiving corp should be very scary this year.