mxbrian Guest

Receivers on the horizon?

What receivers do the Rams see on the horizon? We'll lose Hakim this summer, that's my bet, but who will replace him. How about a guy like David Boston? Big, fast, strong. What about a role receiver like Wayne Chrebet? Personally, I think Bruce's days are numbered(two years) and Holt will be the main star to re-sign. Then we need a #2. Who do you think should be the next receiver on the Rams horizon? Come on, not Glenn or Galloway. Be real.

RamSpud

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Receivers on the horizon?

Come on, not Glenn or Galloway. Be real.

Be real? Ok FANS, lets get real. We have been soooo spoiled with our makeup the last 3 years, and now that AZ has fumbled his way out of the lineup, we have to pickup someone with, lets see:

1. Lots of Speed
    2. Experience running the most complicated pass routes in the NFL
    3. Holds onto the ball
    4. Scores

You won't get a rookie to perform those tasks immediately, and the way we talk in this forum, we don't want to develop, we want to win now. So, you may have to take a chance on a Glenn or Galloway. Glenn may be a stretch, but lets look at Galloway:

When he was with Seattle, he was a cap problem to begin with. They were looking to dump him anyway.

With Dallas, Ismael was constantly hurt, and Galloway was singled out as the ONLY WR on the team, with a practice squad QB throwing the football to him for 3 years.

Realistically, I don't think we are going to find anyone to suit Rams Fan tastes. Sorry.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -12-25-2001 at 08:11 AM.

Out of the top 20 college players in the receiving yards category, 6 were SR's, and 3 were in the 15-20 area of the top 20. Not much out there, FA may be the route. Again, this years draft is a DEFENSIVE draft, not offensive. Looks like LB and DB are the strong points.

So, what other FA's can we live with at WR?

mxbrian Guest

Angry Get Real, really !!!

Yeah, Joey Galloway, he'll work. Torn ACL, injury prone, slippery hands and runs poor routes. Once, he was great, no longer. He's nowhere near the intelligence level he needs to be to be a Ram and he's nowhere near the skill level he once was. Yeah, let's pick him up and let him run out his final years in the league behind Yo Murphy. Figure it out man.

Terry Glenn still has some legs under him but he's a Lawrence Phillips look alike off the field. Let's go there.

By the way, did I mention anything about rookies in my original post? Didn't think so. Pay attention.

Short term, we need a role receiver to fill in for the lost Hakim (yes lost) and the retiring Ricky Proehl (even if he sticks for another year, he's getting pretty slow).

Whatever the answer is, it's not going to come from the draft.

My question remains, who is out there on the horizon that the Rams can look at?

RamSpud:angryram:

What about Darnay Scott? I think he is available, and he is from St. Louis.

Potential rookies at wideout

Marquise Walker of Michigan is supposedly the top WR coming out in the draft. Was the go to guy for the Wolverines this year. Return man on special teams and great run blocker. Not much but deceptive speed and holds onto the ball.

Andre Davis of Virginia Tech could be available for us at the bottom of the draft and coud be a great pickup. 6-1, 195 runs a 4.25 40, has a vertical leap of 40 inches and averages 22 yards a punt return. Not the best route runner, and sometimes has difficulty holding onto the ball. Not a fumbler on punt returns though, so maybe coaching could help him bring the ball in close. Experts say he would be a great 3rd WR in fast packages. Sound familiar?

sprtsmac Guest

BRUUUUCE

Bruce...only 2 more years, come on. The guy is still young and he can still dominate a game. Just ask the Saints. Yeah, he hasn't put up the big numbers; but there are several reasons for that. 1) the Rams have many weapons and Warner is good at spreading the ball around. 2) I believe teams are sliding their safety over to Bruce's side. Basically they are making other players beat them in the passing game besides Bruce. And with Warner having a problem on the deep ball this year(thumb injury); its easier for teams to concentrate on Bruce. I think if Bruce was another team he would be putting up big numbers; even if he was covered tightly. Its just that we have a great quarterback that knows how to use all his weapons to beat you. Don't forget, I think we can use Marshall as a WR and put Trung in the backfield or the other way around. But I hope we have Bruce around for quite some time.