Results 1 to 2 of 2
Receivers' work will continue at "Camp Bradford"
• By Jim Thomas
For Rams veterans, next week marks the end of the spring practice period with the players getting a nice, long break before the start of training camp in late July.
But for the skill position players, particularly the wide receivers and tight ends, they’re not totally off the hook. Once again, they will be asked to participate in “Camp Bradford” at the request of quarterback Sam Bradford. These are informal workouts run by Bradford back home in Oklahoma.
“Yes, I’m actually planning on that,” Bradford said Thursday following the Rams’ OTA session. “I’m having a (youth football) camp – I believe it’s the second weekend of July. So I’m planning on bringing those guys in and getting a few days of work with them, and hopefully they can stay and help out with my camp as well.”
As was the case last summer, as well as during the lockout offseason of 2011, Bradford will lodge his Rams teammates at the Sooner Legends Inn and Suites in Norman, Okla. Each room is named after a former OU great and decorated with pictures and information on that player or coach.
So who gets the “Sam Bradford suite” this July? Last year it was wide receiver Danny Amendola.
“I don’t know yet,” Bradford said. “That’s up to the people at the hotel.”
He jokingly added: “Hopefully, no one has to stay in that room. We can get them some better player’s (room) to stay in.”
As for what he’s seen so far at Rams Park, Bradford says he can already see improvement in the young group of wide receivers.
“It’s definitely come a long way since two, three weeks ago when we first started with those rookies,” he said. “I’ve been really impressed by some of the young guys that we’ve had – Tavon (Austin), Stedman (Bailey) – I thought they’ve done a great job.
“We’re asking them to play a lot of different positions right now. Of course there’s still mistakes, but for the most part they’ve been extremely sharp. The chemistry, I think, is really coming along. We’ve put some time in after practice together and obviously the more reps we’ve gotten together on the field in practice, things have really started to click.”
Last Friday’s tornado in the St. Charles area resulted in minor damage at Rams Park, knocking down several trees, plus much of a fence ringing the practice fields. On Monday, there was still no power at the complex for much of the day, and that resulted in an altered schedule for OTAs this week. Originally, the days for media access to the practices were to be Tuesday and Thursday, but that was pushed back to Thursday and Friday because of the storm.
ROSTER AT 90
Last week’s addition of Colby Prince, an undrafted rookie tight end from Oregon State, put the Rams at the 90-player roster limit. Prince, 6-5, 257, caught 18 passes for 136 yards and one touchdown last season.
Prince’s arrival came on the heels of another tight end signing. Zach Potter, 27, spent his first four seasons in the NFL with Jacksonville, appearing in 45 games with 14 starts. The University of Nebraska product caught 11 passes for 63 yards during his time with the Jaguars.
• Coach Jeff Fisher said the Rams aren’t going with the traditional strongside/weakside linebacker designations this coming season. Instead, they are going with left and right outside linebackers. At this point rookie Alec Ogletree is the left OLB and Jo-Lonn Dunbar the right.
• Among those not participating in Thursday’s OTA session were TE Lance Kendricks (knee surgery, not believed to be serious), S Darian Stewart (calf), and S Matt Daniels (rehabbing from knee surgery).
• Three veteran offensive linemen who are coming off late-season or offseason surgeries – LT Jake Long, C Scott Wells, and RG Harvey Dahl – all participated in practice.
• Veteran linebacker Daryl Smith, who paid a free-agent visit to Rams Park prior to the draft, has signed with the Baltimore Ravens.
• Wide receiver C.J. Akins, an undrafted rookie from Angelo State, was placed on the injured reserve list after suffering a torn achilles at the rookie minicamp last month.
Re: Receivers' work will continue at "Camp Bradford"
I like.....nah L.O.V.E. this "Camp Bradford".
By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALKReplies: 0Last Post: -05-27-2011, 01:06 PM
By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALKReplies: 4Last Post: -12-11-2009, 11:55 PM
By MauiRam in forum LOUNGEReplies: 0Last Post: -05-21-2008, 03:43 PM
By Nick in forum RAM TALKReplies: 2Last Post: -11-14-2005, 06:31 AM
By majorram in forum RAM TALKReplies: 0Last Post: -01-13-2005, 07:56 AM