RamWraith is offline Registered User

Recovering from illness, loss, Martz looks weary

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/02/2005

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. Apparently, coach Mike Martz spoke too soon. As he sat in his office late Thursday afternoon at Rams Park, Martz said that his surgically repaired back was feeling good and that he was finally over the flulike illness that had bothered him earlier in the season.

But by Friday morning, he was hospitalized in St. Louis with what was termed a sinus infection. Rest, antibiotics and an IV followed. He was back with the team on Saturday and back on the sidelines Sunday at Giants Stadium.

By the end of a 44-24 loss to the New York Giants, Martz looked the worse for wear. He limped up to the podium for his postgame news conference and looked weary.

When asked how he felt healthwise, Martz replied, "Great. I'm good."

Then he stepped off the podium and limped away.

"He looked like he was out there running around with us," said leg-weary wide receiver Torry Holt, after a day in which the Rams threw a franchise-record 62 passes.

Following Martz's absence at practice Friday, Holt said, "You wonder what's happening. But our assistant coaches are fantastic at keeping things in order. Coach (Joe) Vitt kind of took control of everything (Friday) and made sure that we were comfortable and made sure that we went out and practiced."

Vitt is the Rams' linebackers coach and assistant head coach.

Martz is scheduled for more tests this week in St. Louis.

Williams out for season

Tight end Roland Williams suffered what Martz said was a season-ending right knee injury midway through the first quarter.

"He dislocated his knee," Martz said. "So he's done, I'm sure. Unless they can glue it together somehow."

The injury occurred with 7 minutes remaining in the opening quarter, when Williams was tackled on a low hit from Giants cornerback Curtis Deloatch following a 2-yard pass reception.

Bruce, Manumaleuna are unable to play

Williams' injury left the Rams with only one healthy tight end, Jeff Robinson, because tight end and fullback Brandon Manumaleuna was a pregame inactive with a sprained left knee.

"The knee's still giving out a little bit," Manumaleuna said Sunday. He will try to practice Wednesday.

Rookie Madison Hedgecock handled the fullback chores Sunday. Martz said the game plan was laden with plays involving two tight ends - plays that had to be scratched when Williams went down.

"I'll never do that again," Martz said. "Once we lost him ... we lost two-thirds of our offense."

Isaac Bruce was a pregame inactive because of a turf toe injury, missing only his second regular-season game since 1998. Although Bruce termed the injury as "day to day," he did not even test the toe during pregame warmup at Giants Stadium and is expected to miss at least a couple of more games.

Ram-blings

Other pregame inactives were DBs Oshiomogho Atogwe, Ron Bartell and Terry Fair; RB Aveion Cason; and RT Rex Tucker (calf injury). ... DT Brian Howard suited up for the first time this season. ... With 16 yards rushing Sunday, Marshall Faulk moved past Thurman Thomas into 11th place on the NFL's career rushing list, with 12,080 yards.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Recovering from illness, loss, Martz looks weary

Martz better practice delegating some duties so that he can be ill. I hope he feels better soon.

Rookie Madison Hedgecock handled the fullback chores Sunday. Martz said the game plan was laden with plays involving two tight ends - plays that had to be scratched when Williams went down.

"I'll never do that again," Martz said. "Once we lost him ... we lost two-thirds of our offense."
    A game plan laden with plays involving two tight ends just frightens me. How about a game plan with two running backs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Haterade is offline Registered User

Why not take advantage of Faulk and Jackson on the same field? Power and finese.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    How about a game plan with two running backs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haterade
    Why not take advantage of Faulk and Jackson on the same field? Power and finese.
    Why not trade Jackson for secondary help? He does not fit into this offense.

I thought Faulk looked done last season, but he looks refreshed this year. He definately sees the holes better than Jackson and his style of running seems to fit the passing offense of Martz better than Jackson's.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter

I thought Faulk looked done last season, but he looks refreshed this year. He definately sees the holes better than Jackson and his style of running seems to fit the passing offense of Martz better than Jackson's.

Fert, I'm with you on that. Now maybe that was sarcasm but it's true. I'm not a big fan of a dreadlock head running with a football. They tend to end up somewhere smoking dope and letting the team down. Until they shave their head and come to their senses!LOL
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter

I think Jackson will learn. Not to mention, his timidness on Sunday was probably a function of his sternum and not his head.

As for Faulk, he does look better, but if he were to go back to being the premier back, he wouldn't make it through the season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramhard is offline Registered User

Wanted Chris Gamble rather than Jackson

When the Rams drafted Jackson, I strongly stated that I thought a better pick would be Chris Gamble, big athletic CB who also returns punts. I was shouted down about best RB available. My argument then, and still now, is that RB's - unless they are also big pass catchers like Faulk was/is do not get utilized as much so are not as valuable as with most clubs. However, how nice would Gamble have looked last year and this year in the secondary and in the return game.

I'll get shouted down again about how 1 bad game and I'm yelling get rid of Jackson. So I wanted to point out this is my same I made when he was drafted. A good player but as long as Martz is coach, not one that will recoup value that could have been had elsewhere.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm starting to think trading Jackson isn't such a bad idea with DeAngelo Williams from Memphis coming up in this years draft. He's a perfect fit for Martz's offense as he is a stellar pass catcher.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Wow, not as light or common of a condition as I initially thought! Like many people, I too have had the typical sinus infection. This is different...

This could be not only serious to Coach Martz -- first and foremost -- but to the Rams. I hope MM recuperates fully.

It's just as adding him to our injury list. Best wishes Coach!