Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Red Zone

YodaRam Guest

Re: The Red Zone

Rambos, how many of those points were generated from the red zone? Beyond that; being ranked 10th in scoring doesn't excite me. RED ZONE .....Don't try to sugarcoat it.We stink at scoring. PERIOD!!! Eat it, accept it, but dont try to hide it!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

So we ranked 8th last season in TD scoring inside the endzone at .574 (57.4%). That still leaves a lot of room for improvement considering the leaders were San Diego and Indianapolis at .677 and .661. That still means we were more effective than three quarters of the league. Better than I would have thought.

YodaRam Guest

It's most amazing that i cannot reply. I guess i'll see you in another 5 years

Rambos is offline Registered User

the Rams were second in the NFC with 31 red-zone touchdowns in 2006

The Rams made it to the red zone 54 times last season and settled for a field goal 19 times, but they still felt they didn't maximize the opportunities.

Don't try to sugarcoat it.We stink at scoring. PERIOD!!! Eat it, accept it, but dont try to hide it!

This year I agree, can't hide the fact we have fumbled aways some points in the red zone.
    It's most amazing that i cannot reply. I guess i'll see you in another 5 years
    See u in 5, by then we should have some new issues to talk about.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-18-2007 at 07:49 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    So we ranked 8th last season in TD scoring inside the endzone at .574 (57.4%). That still leaves a lot of room for improvement considering the leaders were San Diego and Indianapolis at .677 and .661.
    I agree. We were no where near the horrible red zone offense many mistakenly think (2nd highest scoring percentage, 8th highest TD percentage), but we kicked far too many field goals (2nd most). That's what has to change, as was the case last season in the first few games. It's going to happen once the OL settles down, that I have no doubt.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post
    This trend is old news.
    Indeed, the trend to blame Bulger for our red zone problems is old news.

If you want this team to perform better in the red zone where there is less field for the defense to cover, then you've got to be able to win battles in the trenches. This offensive line has been mediocre for years now, and that description might even be generous.

It's not surprise that Indy and San Diego - with two of the best O-lines in the league - are at the top in terms of ability to score in the red zone.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Must be last year's stats there, Rambo.

The problem, as I see it, the closer we get to the end zone the harder it is for the receivers to gain separation. Of course. Simple stuff.

I thought that was why we had all them thar tight ends. Big targets and big blockers. But they don't do much good if we don't utilize them.

I hope the issue resolves itself. The quicker the better.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

BM_Face is offline Registered User

The NFL today is all about red zone efficiency, but what frustrates me is what seems like so many missed points on the short field. The Rams are great at getting into the red-zone, often taking only 1-2 plays from mid-field, but then that great momentum is just squandered on a FG. FG's are great, but obviously we need more TD's; good thing we have the resources (we do, even though we are banged up) to score lots of points. We also have a game to put the pieces in place and really play to our potential. I think the Rams should stretch the red-zone to the 30 and take shots at the end zone, our recievers have the hands and Bulger is fully capable of making the passes. This is the week to uncork the genie bottle in the red-zone and run up the score. GoRams!!!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Must be last year's stats there, Rambo.
    Yeah these are 06 numbers used... as this was an old problem...

The problem , to me, is either the play calling or the PLAY BOOK. This is an old problem. Not a new one.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

The problem , to me, is either the play calling or the PLAY BOOK. This is an old problem. Not a new one.
    Or it is the inability of the personnel to execute their assignments. But this can also be argued away as play calling because the coach should know the capabilities of his personnel and call the appropriate plays for the situation at hand.

It's all a chess match. Just on a grander scale.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12