Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    general counsel Guest

Re: Red Zone Scoring and short yardage- why the rams will improve

AMEN nick, you hit the nail on the head regarding the loss of james the hammer hodgins. Losing ernies blocking was also critical in short yardage.

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Conwell makes a much better target in the passing game than Manu, as well. The role these two played on the Rams was really underrated when this franchise decided to let them walk. To think that we could have kept Hodgins had we just shelled out a $750,000 roster bonus.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Red Zone Scoring and short yardage- why the rams will improve

I am not sold on all these excuses being offered up as to the TE and FB being the underlying cause of redzone and short yardage problems. Many times the TE and FB are not even on the field together. There are five guys on the offensive line and to single out one position for poor execution is a little hard for me to buy into. First and foremost, execution will need to improve from the guys on the offensive line. Improved execution from the O-line will open up the running lanes and the offense should be able to sell the play action pass more effectively in the redzone. At the same time, I think Martz is going to have to get creative and change things up, thereby avoiding easily recognizable tendencies.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Actually Maineram, I have to disagree with you

Bulger was money on third down this year. He led the NFC in passing efficiency on third down. A pressure situation. He did keep his head in the game. I think we aren't looking at Bulger properly. We are basing everything on his mistakes, but he found ways to win. He was horrible throughout the game at Arizona but rallied when it counted.

He really hasn't played alot. However, he has the tools. Where Bulger does need to get better is on first and second down. I'm not so worried about him hitting the RB in the red zone as I am that him and Manu won't have chemistry again this year. The TE is a silent weapon in this offense. We really missed Conwell's play last year. Hopefully not tinkering with Manu's head as an H Back/FB/TE will help his confidence.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Actually Maineram, I have to disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Hopefully not tinkering with Manu's head as an H Back/FB/TE will help his confidence.
    Excellent point, TX. I would think that these guys have enough to concentrate on just learning to play the game at a professional level. Every position has a myriad of items to learn in their playbooks. Martz was asking this kid to learn the roles of 2 or 3 guys last year. Physically this guy has the tools. Reminds me of Eric Green with the Steelers back in the late 80s. Now maybe he can focus mentally on the TE position. Catching a ball is catching a ball, but blocking requires some homework.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Catching a ball is catching a ball, but blocking requires some homework.
    It's interesting, who would have thought that blocking would have been a weakness of a tight end that's around 300 pounds?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    It's interesting, who would have thought that blocking would have been a weakness of a tight end that's around 300 pounds?
    Great thought, Nick. Last year, Manu couldn't block anything at 300 pounds, yet Faulk at 210 has always been known as an outstanding blitz picker-upper (did I just create a word?). It just goes to show, blocking is all about knowing the assignment.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramstiles is offline Registered User

and technique helps alot as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12