Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,628
    Rep Power
    82

    Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Well friends, there is a pulse, but the Rams came up short today to the Redskins losing 9-7. Aided but some spectacular defense in the red zone (specifically inside the 10 yard line), the Rams followed the projected script for the season (Pound the Big Boy, shorten the game, and pray on defense) to perfection, only to see a costly fumble by donnie avery midway through the fourth quarter cost the Rams a first and goal inside the 5. The Rams fought hard all game, but lousy offensive line play continues to make it very tough for the Rams to get the ball down the field and create big plays and we have little or no ability to pressure the qb, making it really tough on the secondary, even on third and long.

    The Good

    Another nice game for Laurent Robinson. Great pickup for the Rams. Nice catch on a beautiful td throw by bulger at the goal line. 6 catches for 54 yards.
    Terrific 58 yard run for Jackson, who wound up 17-104 and seemed to be picking up steam at the end. We were much more successful running in the second half as the game wore on. I was surprised that we didnt pound jackson twice at the end rather than trying the pass to robinson on 3rd and 2 when we were on the redskins 42 yard line.
    Donnie Jones must have felt like it was a day off as he had only 4 punts for a 43.3 average , with one nice one inside the 20.
    Bulger played with a lot of guts today, making some very tough throws under pressure. He had some drops (mcmichael and avery) which hurt him and we just dont have the protection to get the ball down the field. He checked off nicely time after time and wound up 15-28 125 yards and a td. Anyone miss ike and holt yet? Plenty of people will blame bulger again, but i dont personally see how. He moved nicely, didnt throw an INT (although he got lucky a couple of times) and got rid of the ball quickly to avoid the sacks. I am not suggesting he was great, but he isnt the problem. We need better offensive line play and better play from the receivers.
    James Hall recorded the Rams first sack of the year. One total sack in two games and i think we only hit campbell a couple of times. Lack of pass rush is killing us.
    We stopped the skins three times inside the 10 yard line to keep us in the game. Not a great game by the dline, but scoring is the name of the game and if we hold our opponents to 9 points a week, i am sure we will do better.
    Nice fumble caused by bartell.
    Two nice key catches by burton.


    The Bad

    Avery was AWFUL today. 1 catch for 4 yards (and he fumbled the ball on the five yard line after that catch which may have cost us the game). By my count, he had four drops, a fumble and a holding penalty. He dropped a pass on third down on the first series that was a little behind him but still hit him in the hands. He tries to run before he catches the ball which is obviously not good for a receiver.

    Our pass rush is non existent and along with our weak offensive line, explains for than anything why we are in full rebuilding mode.
    Will the Rams ever cover a tight end? 7 catches or 83 yards for cooley and many other catches over the middle of the defense.
    We struggle getting off the field on third down, but i think thats mainly due to no functional pass rush.
    Jason Smith got hurt today, goldberg played the second half. Announcer said knee, i have no idea how bad it is. Obviously, we need much improved offensive line play to give bulger and jackson a chance to make plays.


    The Ugly

    Our second half timeout management was awful, which may have cost us at the end. A timeout on a quasi fake punt when you want to take the five yards anyway? We still arent getting the plays in on time.
    The false start by Fells on 3rd and 1 was ugly and totally stupid.


    The Rams certainly didnt quit today, but the lack of talent on both sides of the line is painfully obvious and its where we need to improve and improve a lot to be a competitive team. The Packers are next, hope springs eternal.

    Ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -09-20-2009 at 04:36 PM.



  2. #2
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,670
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    GC I was about to steal your idea but you beat me to it. Instead of starting a new thread for the same idea, I hope you don't mind if I just respond to yours. I think you'll see we agree on a number of the same points.


    The Good
    -Red Zone D: The Rams allowed their share of yards defensively today, but they stepped it up to another level in the red zone. Washington fails to score a touchdown, the Rams forced a turnover, and then made a key stop on fourth down with less than two minutes to go.
    -Bulger: Marc finished 15/28 but a number of those passes were dropped. He had a nice fade pass to Robinson and threw very well despite being under a lot of pressure today. I counted maybe three poor throws/decisions on the day, which is to be expected from any QB. Bulger stood tall in the face of pressure, stepped up in the pocket, and showed a lot of zip on the ball. Tim Ryan might have said it best, "Marc Bulger did not forget how to play football."
    -Robinson: Can we officially say Robinson has become this team's #1 WR? Great acquisition, as Laurent had 54 yards and a touchdown today. That gives him 141 yards on 11 catches through two weeks. If he keeps this up, that production projects to be 1,128 yards on 88 catches this year. It looks like he's Marc Bulger's new favorite target as a wide receiver, and after he dropped a few passes in Week One, he was sharp against the Redskins.
    -Ramsey & Long: Ramsey was one of the few Rams to get some solid penetration with a nice bull rush on a couple of plays. Long made a nice play sniffing out a screen pass for an incompletion and was part of the pressure that nearly resulted in a safety. Still, need more consistent pressure from everyone though!

    The Bad
    -Pass Defense: The red zone D was good, but where was the defense between the 20s? Campbell completed nearly 66% of his passes and was sacked only once. Hardly any pressure on him all day. He found holes in the zone for easy completions quite often. Cooley was unstoppable with 83 yards.
    -Witherspoon: For those who didn't watch the TV coverage, let me tell you that typically when the Redskins ran for a nice gain in the first half, there was a replay of Witherspoon being blocked out of the way. He also was not particularly effective in coverage. He was less noticable in the second half, but for being one of our best defenders, needs to step it up. His deflection in the red zone was the only truly good play I remember from him today.
    -Little: You are this team's best pass rusher - in fact it's supposed to be your strength - but you have no sacks through two games and didn't get very much pressure today. Little is the old veteran on this line and needs to step up if the Rams are going to improve defensively.
    -Penalties: The Rams improved on last week's disaster, but still committed too many penalties (6 for 45 yards). A delay of game on the Rams' second drive turned 1st & 10 into 1st & 15, an illegal block trimmed 14 yards of Jackson's big run, one holding call on Barron negated a first down while another gave the Rams 2nd & 20, and a false start on Fells turned 3rd & 1 into 3rd & 6. Incognito was called for holding (his fourth flag this year) but it was declined.

    The Ugly
    -Avery: Held to one catch for four yards, Avery was a non-factor for the Rams but a big factor for the Redskins. His turnover at the Redskins five yard line completely changed the direction of this game. It's Avery's second turnover in as many games. He also had a few drops and was called for an illegal block on Jackson's big run. Not a strong start to the season.
    -Jackson: Don't get me wrong, overall Jackson had a very solid day. But Jackson still, on a handful of runs, does not seem to trust his line and tries to cut back outside when he should have rushed up the gut. This stood out most on the 2nd down run before Avery's turnover. Jackson had a big hole on the inside, maybe a first down or even a touchdown run in the making. But he bounced it to the right and gained nothing.
    -Coaching: Chris Cooley may be Washington's best pass catcher, but it seemed like the Rams had no answer for him. Steven Jackson touched the ball more this game, but 21 touches in a close contest still doesn't seem like enough. The Rams passed the ball out of the shotgun on 3rd & 2, a strange playcall. Then they tried some strange fake punt and waste their last timeout when Washington isn't drawn offsides.

  3. #3
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    I'll add a few things to this ...

    As spectacular as Robinson's end zone grab was, he even had a more spectacular catch on a third down conversion, snatching a ball about 1 foot from the ground. This guy has #1 potential ...

    LeJuan Ramsey was stout inside. He consistently moved his man, and almost came away with a sack. This guy might have been a steal ....

    Yes, Avery had a bad game, but his fumble is a moot point if Jackson runs through the MASSIVE, and I mean MASSIVE hole, that our stud FB opened up for him. Why Jackson cut back I'll never know ...

    Shurmur doesn't have the playcalling quite down yet, but he seems to have a plan. He methodically attacked the Redskins today, and it really flowed well at times. We need better pass protection to allow the ball to be thrown deep ...

    Bad pass protection of not, Bulger seems confident in this line. He stood in the pocket all day long and delivered at least 5 completions while being hit. Wasn't much he could do at the end of the game backed up like they were ...

    Defensively, we're giving up too much underneath, but the players believe in the system, and you can visibly see it, evidenced by the stops in the red zone. Any pass rush and this defense will consistently be able to hold it's own ...

    Burton showed up today, making two great plays, one a spectacular catch for a first down. The second was a comeback, in which he turned out and make a big gain. Watch that clip, and boy, does he look like a young Isaac Bruce ...

    How about Leonard Little dropping back into pass coverage? Very nimble ...

    Offensive line looks rough, and I mean the whole group. We need some cohesion. I really think Loney has to go. Too much talent for them to be as bad as they are ...

    Overall, nice effort, we should have won this guy. Costly turnovers, and some untimely penalties really killed us ....

    Green Bay looked really bad this week, we could stand a chance in Week 3....

  4. #4
    Curly Horns's Avatar
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    1st & Goal
    Posts
    2,669
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Ha! Ha!

    Laughable that there is no mention of Jackson not following a HUGE hole opened up by Karney on the play prior to the Avery fumble.

    If Jackson follows his big lead blocking FB then he scores an easy TD. What a bonehead decision by Jackson and you make claim that perhaps Avery cost us the game?

    Well, if you are going to put blame on individuals put some on Jackson. If he follows the block we are not discussing the Avery play!



  5. #5
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Well friends, there is a pulse, but the Rams came up short today to the Redskins losing 9-7. Aided but some spectacular defense in the red zone (specifically inside the 10 yard line), the Rams followed the projected script for the season (Pound the Big Boy, shorten the game, and pray on defense) to perfection, only to see a costly fumble by donnie avery midway through the fourth quarter cost the Rams a first and goal inside the 5. The Rams fought hard all game, but lousy offensive line play continues to make it very tough for the Rams to get the ball down the field and create big plays and we have little or no ability to pressure the qb, making it really tough on the secondary, even on third and long.

    The Good

    Another nice game for Laurent Robinson. Great pickup for the Rams. Nice catch on a beautiful td throw by bulger at the goal line. 6 catches for 54 yards.
    Terrific 58 yard run for Jackson, who wound up 17-104 and seemed to be picking up steam at the end. We were much more successful running in the second half as the game wore on. I was surprised that we didnt pound jackson twice at the end rather than trying the pass to robinson on 3rd and 2 when we were on the redskins 42 yard line.
    Donnie Jones must have felt like it was a day off as he had only 4 punts for a 43.3 average , with one nice one inside the 20.
    Bulger played with a lot of guts today, making some very tough throws under pressure. He had some drops (mcmichael and avery) which hurt him and we just dont have the protection to get the ball down the field. He checked off nicely time after time and wound up 15-28 125 yards and a td. Anyone miss ike and holt yet? Plenty of people will blame bulger again, but i dont personally see how. He moved nicely, didnt throw an INT (although he got lucky a couple of times) and got rid of the ball quickly to avoid the sacks. I am not suggesting he was great, but he isnt the problem. We need better offensive line play and better play from the receivers.
    James Hall recorded the Rams first sack of the year. One total sack in two games and i think we only hit campbell a couple of times. Lack of pass rush is killing us.
    We stopped the skins three times inside the 10 yard line to keep us in the game. Not a great game by the dline, but scoring is the name of the game and if we hold our opponents to 9 points a week, i am sure we will do better.
    Nice fumble caused by bartell.
    Two nice key catches by burton.


    The Bad

    Avery was AWFUL today. 1 catch for 4 yards (and he fumbled the ball on the five yard line after that catch which may have cost us the game). By my count, he had four drops, a fumble and a holding penalty. He dropped a pass on third down on the first series that was a little behind him but still hit him in the hands. He tries to run before he catches the ball which is obviously not good for a receiver.

    Our pass rush is non existent and along with our weak offensive line, explains for than anything why we are in full rebuilding mode.
    Will the Rams ever cover a tight end? 7 catches or 83 yards for cooley and many other catches over the middle of the defense.
    We struggle getting off the field on third down, but i think thats mainly due to no functional pass rush.
    Jason Smith got hurt today, goldberg played the second half. Announcer said knee, i have no idea how bad it is. Obviously, we need much improved offensive line play to give bulger and jackson a chance to make plays.


    The Ugly

    Our second half timeout management was awful, which may have cost us at the end. A timeout on a quasi fake punt when you want to take the five yards anyway? We still arent getting the plays in on time.
    The false start by Fells on 3rd and 1 was ugly and totally stupid.


    The Rams certainly didnt quit today, but the lack of talent on both sides of the line is painfully obvious and its where we need to improve and improve a lot to be a competitive team. The Packers are next, hope springs eternal.

    Ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    not only do I miss Bruce and Holt,I miss the donut brothers and tom Nutten and those guys inside when we used to be able to run up the middle and Bulger played hard today,I don't think anyone can dispute his toughness.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -09-20-2009 at 04:51 PM.

  6. #6
    Tom_SF's Avatar
    Tom_SF is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Lost to the Redskins.... the R e d - S k i n s ..... AGH!

  7. #7
    jackson3909's Avatar
    jackson3909 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    well put, one of the most important things to watch next week is how avery bounces back, and how spags lines up his defense for next week. the rams didnt blitz to much today but next week facing Aaron rodgers our pass rush better step up or else the score will be worse than the seattle game!

  8. #8
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by jackson3909 View Post
    well put, one of the most important things to watch next week is how avery bounces back, and how spags lines up his defense for next week. the rams didnt blitz to much today but next week facing Aaron rodgers our pass rush better step up or else the score will be worse than the seattle game!
    GB was terrible today, Antawn Odom sacked Rodgers 5 times ....

  9. #9
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by JKramsfan View Post
    Not only do I miss Bruce and Holt, I miss the donut brothers and Tom Nutten and those guys inside when we used to be able to run up the middle and Bulger played hard today, I don't think anyone can dispute his toughness.
    No wonder it's said "Thanks For The Memories". Kurt Warner, Faulk -- in short, the GSOT.

    My take on today's game which I did not watch...
    Good: the uniform / Bad: defeated / Ugly: 7 points in 8 quarters.

    Still, let's see how we do at home. I'm with you Coach Spags! Growing pains and all.

  10. #10
    theodus69's Avatar
    theodus69 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    so.cal.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,202
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    mistake free football would have done us well. I didn't see the game (Was in Church) but the D sounds good. maybe the Offense is a work in progress. We will see next week.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

  11. #11
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,345
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Little: You are this team's best pass rusher - in fact it's supposed to be your strength - but you have no sacks through two games and didn't get very much pressure today. Little is the old veteran on this line and needs to step up if the Rams are going to improve defensively.
    Biggest shock, is we can't get a pass rush with spags D!

  12. #12
    theodus69's Avatar
    theodus69 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    so.cal.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,202
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Don't blame Spags, he's working with what he has.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

  13. #13
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,345
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Don't blame Spags, he's working with what he has.
    I'm shocked his scheme can't make up for what we have. Two games one sack, not very good IMO.

  14. #14
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,628
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Thanks for your comment regarding my writeup being laughable ferter. You are certainly invited to take a shot at it yourself once in a while instead of just taking a shot at me.

    That said, you make a very fair point that jackson missed that hole. He absolutely should have hit it. No guarantee he gets in the end zone of course, but it should have been a big game. Jackson made several outstanding plays during the game and without him, we arent in the game. Avery was a disaster all game long with multiple drops in addition to the crucial fumble. I am sure it looks easy on the replay to hit the correct hole every time, and of course its not as simple as it looks.

    As for scheme, spags is not a magician. You can scheme all you want, the players have to execute. Talent is still the key coaching alone wont do a thing. We lack the talent to get to the passer without blitzing, its that simple.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -09-20-2009 at 07:42 PM.


  15. #15
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,345
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    As for scheme, spags is not a magician. You can scheme all you want, the players have to execute. Talent is still the key coaching alone wont do a thing. We lack the talent to get to the passer without blitzing, its that simple.
    I agree we can't get there with Little and Long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •