Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By TorontoRam

Thread: Reflections from London

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Reflections from London

I'm sure there have been posts about the advantages and disadvantages of the Rams playing a 'home game' in London, England. And, I'm sure I'd agree with most of them. However, Mrs. TorontoRam and some of our family and friends attended the game at Wembley and the surrounding festivities in Trafalgar Square and the 'Tailgate' at Wembley prior to the game. A few brief reflections:
    • The NFL, Rams, and Patriots had the events, including the game very well organized and kudos to all including and especially Kevin Demoff and his staff
    • The fans, many of whom were not necessarily Rams or Patriots fans but NFL fans (stands looked like a montage of NFL jerseys) were well behaved and obviously enjoyed the game (no hooliganism)
    • The staff at Wembley have their act together big time. No parking and 85,000 people to access and egress the venue. London bobbies on horseback provided crowd control as fans left the stadium, allowing about 1,000 per train to enter the Tube as each train arrived and after each train departed

All in all it was a great event for the NFL and both teams although a disappointing outcome for the Rams.
    After the game we went back to our hotel in London and watched Eli and the Giants carve up the Cowboys when it counted, which made our hearts leap with joy and gave us at least some consolation.
    TorontoRam

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

Re: Reflections from London

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    NFL fans (stands looked like a montage of NFL jerseys) were well behaved and obviously enjoyed the game (no hooliganism)
    Was you expecting any? That just seems a really stupid remark to make.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMcNasty View Post
    Was you expecting any? That just seems a really stupid remark to make.
    ...and so does that one.

Don't really think that reaction was necessary.

Thanks Shower. I joined this forum because the discussions are civil and free of random 'flaming,' but Filthy may not have figured that out yet IMOH. I was making an observation from someone who has been present in Philadelphia, San Francisco, and a few other venues where the 'fans' act like hooligans especially toward their team's rival fans. I guess he was having a bad day or perhaps even more. And, I was not ('was you') expecting any but only commenting on the atmosphere. Perhaps Filthy isn't a season ticket holder or hasn't attended many NFL games. BTW, I don't look toward 'flamers' for approval for posts. But, again thanks for your reply my friend.

In my experience, people link sporting events in England and 'hooliganism' as mutually exclusive and omnipresent, when it simply isn't the case, and hasn't been for 20 years or so.

It was a needless remark, if you'd said 'there was a friendly atmosphere' then that's one thing, but 'there was no hooliganism' is a bit value loaded for my taste.

If that reaction is considered 'flaming' and uncivil, meh, so be it, but I didn't like the connotation made.
    Last edited by FilthyMcNasty; -10-31-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Typo

In my experience, people link sporting events in England and 'hooliganism' as mutually exclusive and omnipresent, when it simply isn't the case, and hasn't been for 20 years or so.

It was a needless remark, if you'd said 'there was a friendly atmosphere' then that's one thing, but 'there was no hooliganism' is a bit value loaded for my taste.

If that reaction is considered 'flaming' and uncivil, meh, so be it, but I didn't like the connotation made.
    My comment was not made to insinuate that European fans are hooligans. If the game was in the U.S. I would have said that there were no rowdy New England or St. Louis fans making unkind remarks or throwing beer or stadium food at the opposing fans. The European fans, regardless of which NFL team they represented, were as well behaved and perhaps even better behaved than many fans who attend games in the U.S. I was only trying to give the fans at Wembley, who I suspect were mostly from Europe, a profound compliment. If I stated my point awkwardly I apologize. My second post was only a response to the tone of your reply to my original post, as I perceived it, which seemed a bit harsh.

Fret not, let's not get our knickers twisted.

Fret not, let's not get our knickers twisted.
    Agreed. At the end of the day we're all NFL and Rams fans. I predict the Rams won't lose this weekend also, but can't get a bookie to take my bet. Over and under's too hard to figure out.