RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rejuvinated Holt Ready for Game One

Friday, September 5, 2008

By Brett Grassmuck
    Staff Writer

Rams wide receiver Torry Holt had to clear the air with the media, making a strong declaration Friday afternoon in his weekly press session.

“My name is Torry Jabar Holt,” the wide receiver said.

Holt’s declaration was in response to being asked if he would consider changing his name to Torry Ocho Uno, after Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson legally changed his name to Chad Ocho Cinco.

“I’ll let Chad handle that department,” Holt said, sporting his usual grin. “I’ll play and try to help my football team win some games.”

While his name will remain the same, the 2008 season is night and day for the veteran receiver. Entering his 10th season opener in the NFL, health-wise, the receiver feels much better this year than he did just a year ago.

“Last year, week one, I got myself ready, but there was still a little bit of uncertainty,” Holt said. “I didn’t quite know how well I would hold up. This year, I feel a little bit more confident, way more confident than what I did last year. Last year, I would say, due to the injury and the way I was feeling, my confidence may have been a little rattled, a little shaken. This year, I feel a lot better, a lot more comfortable, a lot more stable going into week one.”

Last year, the uncertainty rested with his sore knee after he had skipped the 2007 Pro Bowl to undergo arthroscopic surgery. This season, the knee hasn’t bothered him at all.

However, he was bothered by some tightness in his back during training camp, which limited him. But it didn’t last long, and the receiver is back in game shape and has his confidence back.

I was actually ticked off about that, because I wanted to go through the full length of camp to see where I was health wise, get my confidence and stuff back, remind myself that I can still go out and do this thing,” Holt said. “I had a little setback with the back, but it didn’t have anything to do with the knee.

“Occasionally I’m going to have some soreness with the knee, but that’s going to happen. For the most part I’ve done pretty good as far as managing it. The coaching staff and training staff have done a good job, and (strength and conditioning coach Dana) LeDuc has done a good job of getting me ready and getting me to this point.”

Holt and quarterback Marc Bulger talked earlier in the day about the overall health of the team, about how several players that were injured last season have come back rejuvenated.

Holt may not have suffered an injury last season, but much like the other guys in the Rams locker room, he too seems to be rejuvinated.

“I thought he had a really, really good camp,” Rams coach Scott Linehan said. “I just really see a rejuvenated guy, a lot like my first year with a very focused attitude on what has to be done. We need to start putting it all to use here come Sunday, but there are a lot of positive things we have going.”

LECKEY IN THE LINEUP: Although he may not have even been on the radar at the beginning of camp, center Nick Leckey will be the Rams starting center against the Eagles on Sunday.

Leckey was the beneficiary of some extra playing time during the preseason due to some injuries to the offensive line, and he made the most of it. Everything just sort of came together for the center during the preseason.

“Things have just clicked to me as far as technique, hand placement, all the little things that you hear time and time again,” Leckey said. “It feels like things just clicked. We have a great system, and we have a great bunch of guys. I really think that we have the ability to do a lot of good things.”

Although it’s a big thing for the fifth-year center to be in the starting lineup, it was the little things that got him there.

“I just had the attitude that I’m not going to worry about messing up,” Leckey said. “I’m just going to worry about doing the little things right. Once you emphasize the little things, it kind of takes care of all the big things.”

Teaching Leckey those little things this season is offensive line coach Steve Loney, who Leckey played for while he was with the Arizona Cardinals in 2006.

“It’s always nice when you have a guy like coach Loney,” Leckey said. “He’s such a positive, uplifting cat. He’s a really great guy to work for.”

RAM BITS: Bulger will have some added protection in the Rams season opener as he will be wearing a Zoombang, a shirt that features built in padding below the shoulder pads to protect the ribs. Coincidentally, Bulger’s neighbor just happens to be the inventor of the protective gear….Rams coach Scott Linehan brought the St. Louis media into a tight huddle following his on-field press conference Friday afternoon. With their hands in the air, the media and Linehan broke the huddle with a chant of “1 and 0.”

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Rejuvinated Holt Ready for Game One

Nice.... Holt is feeling frisky and Bulger will have a zoombanger to protect him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I hope Holt has a big game. We need it. Especially with the absence of Avery. I hope Holt just burns their defense. GO RAMS

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    RAM BITS: Bulger will have some added protection in the Rams season opener as he will be wearing a Zoombang, a shirt that features built in padding below the shoulder pads to protect the ribs. Coincidentally, Bulger’s neighbor just happens to be the inventor of the protective gear….
    Well ... I hope his neighbor made sure to tell him it works best if the ball goes "zoom" first, thereby greatly reducing the "bang."