NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Reliving the Past

Much has been written about the possibility of Martz coming back into the fold. While I respect those who think it would be intriguing and possibly productive, I have stated that bringing him back would NOT be a good idea- for reasons which are already posted on other threads.

Let me say that history shows us the 2nd go round for coaches with their former teams usually don't end well. Chuck Knox came back to the Rams years after a very successful stint in the 70's and failed badly. Joe Gibbs, an outstanding coach in his heyday, found the going quite a bit tougher his 2nd tour of duty in Washington. Art Shell's 2nd time in Oakland was a disaster. And for those saying "yeah, but you're only talking about head coaches; Martz would come back as a coordinator", I submit to you the name of Al Saunders. How has THAT worked out?

Bottom line: Turn the page. Stop trying to relive past glory with the same cast of characters. It's understandable we look to links from the glory days, but this team has a new set of players and needs a new identity.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Re: Reliving the Past

It's time to turn the page from the past, and help develop these new players, this started with letting Billy D calling the shots.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Just because you don't like a certain offensive system has no bearing on whether that system can be successful.

Your history examples are not that good nor are they of similar circumstances. Knox was at the end of a career and had grown complacent. Gibbs helped to rebuild the team and made the playoffs, so he had success in his return. Shell had been out for years and was very out of touch. Shell is actually similar to vermeil, except vermeil had been out longer and albeit he came back to a different team he still accomplished more than one might have expected considering his long absence. Even the saunders example, which you seem to hang your hat on, is of different circumstances. Saunders was a position coach on his first go around.

I read in a post the other day of an example that was 'spot on' as compared to your flimsy examples. Gunther Cunningham was head coach of the chiefs, then he was fired and he then returned to the chiefs as DC. And I'm sure it will be much to your chagrin to learn that it worked out with Gunther.

Grimm_Fan is offline Registered User

I think the Rams need a guy who will come in and bring a tough guy and winning mindset. They need something new which is why I think bringing Martz back would be a mistake.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm_Fan View Post
    I think bringing Martz back would be a mistake.
    Could be!

I'm not much of a gambler but I'd venture to guess the odds are equal that bringing in grimm could be a mistake.