Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Truth
  • 1 Post By laram0

Thread: Remember, once the stadium issue is resolved, Stan's "vices" become virtues.

  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,064
    Rep Power
    165

    Remember, once the stadium issue is resolved, Stan's "vices" become virtues.

    How long has it been since the Rams had a hard-nosed, get what he wants, kind of owner?

    The Frontier & heirs era was a time when we read things like "the Rams want _____, but they probably won't do what is necessary to get it/him."

    Now we have Stan, the man with a plan... a guy who knows how to get what he wants.

    We saw it in the way he patiently waited until his deadline to buy the team, then moved forward and took over, all the while circumventing the cross-ownership hurdles.

    We saw it in the way he pursued and obtained Jeff Fisher's services. While the Dolphins' owner was setting up photo ops on helicopters and announcing his willingness to outbid everyone, Stan was making a deal.

    Now, we find ourselves in an odd situation. For at least some Rams fans, there is a perception that the owner's interests and the team's/fans' interests don't completely align over the issue of the stadium, the London games, and the team's future in St. Louis.

    I'm fairly neutral on these issues, which allows me to see the bigger picture: in the long run, wherever the Rams are playing, they will have an owner who wants to win, is willing to do what it takes, and understands how to play the game.

    Kind of a nice change, no?
    MauiRam, Truth, THOLTFAN81 and 1 others like this.


  2. #2
    Truth's Avatar
    Truth is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: Remember, once the stadium issue is resolved, Stan's "vices" become virtues.

    It certainly is nice. It's just hard, for those of us who've been fans since before "she-who-must-not-be-named" took control, to fully embrace. It's not that I don't want to believe in Stan. I've just been conditioned not to (see Pavlov's dog). I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. However, Mr. Kroenke certainly seems to be showing us something we haven't seen in over 30 years; an owner that's interested in winning. Here's to that perverbial shoe staying off the ground.
    MoonJoe likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

  3. #3
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,145
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Remember, once the stadium issue is resolved, Stan's "vices" become virtues.

    I agree with everything you said. All any fan can ask is that the guy owning the team is passionate about what he does and does everything he can to win. It's why the Rooneys are revered in Pittsburgh. It's why George Steinbrenner- flaws and all- was accepted and respected by Yankee fans. The early returns on Stan are very good for the reasons you stated.

    I am not preoccupied by the Rams moving, but nonetheless have strong feelings toward the prospect. A storied team like the Rams should not be uprooting every 15-20 years to a different city. They should have never left LA to begin with and leaving St. Louis will put a stain on the franchise as well. And ANY NFL TEAM being permanently relocated overseas is a complete joke. With the immense popularity of the NFL in this country, there is no reason to court London, Barcelona or any other European country and in essence prevent its loyal American fans from buying season tickets.

  4. #4
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,089
    Rep Power
    106

    Re: Remember, once the stadium issue is resolved, Stan's "vices" become virtues.

    Winning, that's all that matters to me.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

  5. #5
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,621
    Rep Power
    76

    Re: Remember, once the stadium issue is resolved, Stan's "vices" become virtues.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

    I'm fairly neutral on these issues, which allows me to see the bigger picture: in the long run, wherever the Rams are playing, they will have an owner who wants to win, is willing to do what it takes, and understands how to play the game.

    Kind of a nice change, no?
    Reply from Demoff

    Sunday, January 22 2012 @ 06:03 PM CST

    Contributed by: Shaky


    Shaky/Andy,

    Thank you for your email and for your passion for the Rams. I know many of our fans, including our most loyal and diehard fans, donít understand why we committed to play in London. There are a lot of season ticket holders who feel this way, we recognize that. Please know the goal of playing in London was to make it easier for us to stay in St. Louis for the long-term. We are committed to building a great franchise in St. Louis and delivering the on-field results our fans deserve. The hiring of Jeff Fisher and signing a great coaching staff are the first steps in the right direction. All I can ask is that you judge us over the next few months about how serious we are about winning in St. Louis and building a great franchise and not just based on one announcement. I know nobody may believe us when we say we are as committed today as we were earlier this week, but it is the truth. We have no desire to be in London.

  6. #6
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,085
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Remember, once the stadium issue is resolved, Stan's "vices" become virtues.

    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Reply from Demoff

    Sunday, January 22 2012 @ 06:03 PM CST

    Contributed by: Shaky


    Shaky/Andy,

    Thank you for your email and for your passion for the Rams. I know many of our fans, including our most loyal and diehard fans, donít understand why we committed to play in London. There are a lot of season ticket holders who feel this way, we recognize that. Please know the goal of playing in London was to make it easier for us to stay in St. Louis for the long-term. We are committed to building a great franchise in St. Louis and delivering the on-field results our fans deserve. The hiring of Jeff Fisher and signing a great coaching staff are the first steps in the right direction. All I can ask is that you judge us over the next few months about how serious we are about winning in St. Louis and building a great franchise and not just based on one announcement. I know nobody may believe us when we say we are as committed today as we were earlier this week, but it is the truth. We have no desire to be in London.
    Its so painfully obvious to me why Stan signed up for the London games.

    He owns Arsenal, who resides in London. Think of all the UK citizens, and even all of Europe, who I'm sure would love to have a certain team to root for. Now they have a team that will play at least one game a year for three years in London. Add on the fact that Kroenke already scored brownie points with the UK fans because of his share in the Arsenal club. So they have a common ground automatically.

    If your someone in the UK or anywhere in Europe whos interested in American Football, how could you not find yourself wanting to root for a team owned by a guy who also owns a majority of a very popular soccer club in Arsenal.

    Now add in the annual exposure overseas that the Rams will get, and this proves to be a great idea.

    Also, breaking the rules of the contract with the CVC doesnt make me think it will make or break a deal to keep the Rams in St. Louis. I know I was quite redundant in this post but I'm getting my point across.

    Good job Stan. You know exactly what you are doing.

  7. #7
    Ram Mar Ram's Avatar
    Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Apia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    554
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Remember, once the stadium issue is resolved, Stan's "vices" become virtues.

    Stan wants to expand his revenue streams so in the end, its more viable to stay in St Louis. London makes sense. St Louis should embrace it, so should the CVC, otherwise they are just playing a integral part in their own demise.

    Its a Stan win, Rams win situation. Hopefully its a St Louis win situation as well.
    Last edited by Ram Mar Ram; -01-30-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: speeeling

  8. #8
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,224
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Remember, once the stadium issue is resolved, Stan's "vices" become virtues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    Stan wants to expand his revenue streams so in the end, its more viable to stay in St Louis. London makes sense. St Louis should embrace it, so should the CVC, otherwise they are just playing a integral part in their own demise.

    Its a Stan win, Rams win situation. Hopefully its a St Louis win situation as well.
    Over the weekend I heard a journalist say that 70% of all revenue is shared.
    15-35% of revenue basically comes from licensing and local media rights. Selling jersey's, shirts and other team goods to the public plus radio rights and special TV shows in your local markets.

    If that's the case, St. Louis alone is behind the eight ball. We are a small market team and can't keep up with the likes of Chicago, Dallas, New York, Boston, Houston. But if the Rams play 2 home games per year in London and can generate a radio deal in London and sell their merchandise, it would make the Rams appear financially to be a major market franchise. Instead of being a 2.5 million person market, they may appear financially more like a 4.5 million person market franchise. That's how Buffalo is trying to work through Toronto.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: -10-26-2011, 11:35 PM
  2. One thing to remember in all these "breaking stories"...
    By RamFan_Til_I_Die in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -01-16-2009, 10:18 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -11-14-2005, 06:31 AM
  4. rams uniform issue resolved, thanks for the help
    By general counsel in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -06-02-2005, 02:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •