AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Remember the Titans?

One yard.

That was all that separated the Rams and the Titans in 1999/2000.

One yard, that gave the Rams their first championship, and left Tennessee wondering "what if?"

Since then, the teams have travelled similar paths. The Rams have gone (including this year) 52-30 in the regular season since. The Titans have gone 49-33. Both teams have won their respective divisions twice. The Rams have also made the playoffs twice as a Wild Card, the Titans once. The Rams are 3-4 in the playoffs since the 1999/2000 season (and have made it back to the Super Bowl), while the Titans are 2-3.

Similar...yes. But, objectively, the Rams have fared a bit better than the Titans. Also, while the Rams are coming off an 8-8 season in which they made the divisional round of the playoffs, the Titans collapsed last year and went 5-11.

You know where I'm going with this.

Given these facts, you have to ask... why do so many criticize Mike Martz and the Rams organization for supposedly failing to capitalize on the momentum of 1999/2000, while Jeff Fisher and the Titans organization seem to get nothing but praise?

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the different styles of the teams' head coaches. Martz is the the flashy mad scientist who seemingly thumbs his nose at convention. Fisher is the throwback coach who stresses toughness and smash mouth football.

Rather than dwell on whether this is fair, I'll make this point instead. Looking at the how the Titans have fared in the five years since "the tackle," you can't help but notice what a good job the Rams organization has done to sustain a quality run.

We all know they have not made it back to the top of the mountain. But (the Patriots success notwithstanding), we should be reminded of just how tough it is in the NFL to stay in contention year in and year out.

The Titans have done a fairly good job in that respect.

The Rams have done an even better job.

Re: Remember the Titans?

So, are we done talking about Warner?

Can we focus on the Titans now?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Who? LOL
    Yes it's time AV.

Looking at highlights from Sunday the Titans D looked good vs the Ravens. If the O-line can pick up the blitz and Mike stays just a little more deadicated to the run like Dez would like to see, ( ) we will crush them.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Fisher is more of a media darling than Martz, so that's why he gets a pass. Plus, they'll say that the Titans play in the AFC so it's a more difficult path than what the Rams have had with the NFC.

All BS, but that's why I only care about Martz when it's Sunday. I could care absolutely less about how he interacts with the media, what he says to the media, and how the media portrays him. The NFL, when it comes right down to it, isn't a popularity contest on Sundays. Monday - Saturday, yes but that dosen't always show up in the W/L column unless you play on MNF or one of those special games throughout the week or weekend.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam

Can we focus on the Titans now?
    'bout time!

I think Little has a field day on Sunday. While Olson will hold his own at RG, I don't see Hartwig and Piller handling either Kennedy or Pickett in 1-on-1. So I see either extra protection from TEs or RBs all day, or man blocking from an elderly Brad Hopkins on a much quicker Hargrove and a lanky rookie Michael Roos against Little. I see our D-line having a big one on Sunday.

What bothers me some is the size of recievers that the Titans can send into our 2ndary. Calico (6'4" 220) and Bennett (6'5" 210) are big guys and using two TE sets with Kinney (6'6" 275) and Troupe (6'4" 270) could make for quite a load against our undersized DBs. They will have to make plays on the ball or McNair will dump to these big guys all day.

On the bright side, IF the O-line will give Bulger just a little time (man, if we had a nickel for everytime we've said that), he will pick apart this wafer thin secondary of the Titans. Woolfolk, Thompson, Tank Williams, & Pac-Man......I just can't see that being a threat to consistently shut down our receivers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

wttrash2 is offline Registered User

One yard, that gave the Rams their first championship, and left Tennessee wondering "what if?"

That would be our first Super Bowl, and our third championship

Quote Originally Posted by wttrash2

That would be our first Super Bowl, and our third championship
    True enough. I should have said Super Bowl championship.

Rambos is offline Registered User

All BS, but that's why I only care about Martz when it's Sunday. I could care absolutely less about how he interacts with the media, what he says to the media, and how the media portrays him. The NFL, when it comes right down to it, isn't a popularity contest on Sundays. Monday - Saturday, yes but that dosen't always show up in the W/L column unless you play on MNF or one of those special games throughout the week or weekend.
    I’m not sure what it is lately but the way ESPN and FOX are always ripping Martz and the Rams is starting to get to me. I have tuned in less and less too these “pre games shows” not a lot of game info coming out of these idiots. I think with the net and NFL channel not much game time info can slip by anyone these days. Now it's more a@@ kissing with the x players then anything else.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Av,
    I think you talk about Warner more than most.

Martz's record speaks. It speaks well. I think many feel that he could have done better given the talent at his disposal. Who knows. I do know that he has a good record. And I have to give him some credit for trying to fix the obvious problems to one degree or another. There was a time when the Ram's FO simply sucked. Now I think they are ok.

I don't think the media are that bad on Martz. And pleeeze guys remember, the media, they're only journalists. They're hacks. Please don't give the media that much respect; they do not deserve your recognition. And please don't waste your energy holding them to a high standard. They will fail you often - especially sports writers. Why they're worse than most NY Times columnists!

For me, I read what Tx, GC, and Nick write, and I listen. I think they've proven their ability. I'd take what they say, any day of the week, over any sports writer out there.

Ahhh, I'd still love to have you guys do an extensive write up of our team, a joint effort, a collaboration. Maybe a mid-season review? And ya'll could have Adarian do the final editing to add colour. (see, I spelled it the English way).