HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Remember the Titans

The Titans provide a good model for "drastic turnarounds" on defense. They spent '04-'06 hovering never more than a spot or two above the bottom of the league in defense. Then in '07 they jumped to #8, and this year they sit at #2.

Schwartz was the DC all along, so that didn't change. And while some positions have been in flux throughout (DE opposite VandenBosch, and MLB), the core remained the same.....VandenBosch, Haynesworth, Thornton, Bullock, Hope.

I'm no expert, but it seems the formula is something like this.....

1. Put trusted veteran leaders in the LB corp (Thornton, Bullock)
    2. Recognize your strongest position and exploit it (Haynesworth)
    3. Let the emotional leader, lead emotionally (VandenBosch)
    4. Fill the secondary with players that aren't afraid to light up a receiver AND run support (Harper, Finnigan, Griffen, Hope)
    5. In the draft, don't roll the dice early (Griffin) or turn a blind eye late (Finnigan)
    6. Get rid of the numbnuts (PacMan)

I don't know what the exact answer is, but it seems analyzing the Titans, who did exactly what we want to do, would be a good start.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Remember the Titans

Great example of the players being the key to success. An DC or OC can have a proven track record/history but if they don't have the horses........
    Last edited by laram0; -12-10-2008 at 05:04 PM.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    , but oh so true!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gap Guest

The Titans provide a good model for "drastic turnarounds" on defense. They spent '04-'06 hovering never more than a spot or two above the bottom of the league in defense. Then in '07 they jumped to #8, and this year they sit at #2.

Schwartz was the DC all along, so that didn't change. And while some positions have been in flux throughout (DE opposite VandenBosch, and MLB), the core remained the same.....VandenBosch, Haynesworth, Thornton, Bullock, Hope.

4. Fill the secondary with players that aren't afraid to light up a receiver AND run support (Harper, Finnigan, Griffen, Hope)
    5. In the draft, don't roll the dice early (Griffin) or turn a blind eye late (Finnigan)

I don't know what the exact answer is, but it seems analyzing the Titans, who did exactly what we want to do, would be a good start.
    Plain and simple... No question about it... If the RAMS secondary played the way the Titans' secondary does, there would be yellow hankies all over the turf. Some times some teams (cheatriots come to mind) are allowed to play by a different rulebook.

gap

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The Titans are a great example. The Falcons, Ravens, Jets and Dolphins have all shown us this season that complete turnarounds are possible with the right personnel decisions and a belief in the systems being taught. But truth be told, we need not look any further than our own Rams in '99-'00 to see how a franchise in disarray for the past decade can become a Super Bowl winner.

It starts in the Front Office, where Chip Rosenbloom and those he appoints to key spots do an impeccable job of evaluating talent and forming a winning plan. You must spend heavily to get those players you've identified as winners. Being fiscally conservative will not win you titles. By the same token, you must make shrewd appraisals of players; you can't overspend on the Drew Bennetts of the world. YOU WIN WITH GOOD PLAYERS, plain and simple.

Next you identify and unload the freeloaders collecting a paycheck, the guys with questionable work habits, the guys with poor attitudes and the quitters. You replace them with leaders- a guy like London Fletcher personified this trait. Not an all-pro caliber player but a WINNING PLAYER nontheless.

You then assemble a first rate coaching staff and spare no expense. A winning culture must be established by guys who have no tolerance for losing. In '99-'00, we had Vermeil, Mike White, Frank Gansz, Jim Hanifan and several other outstanding coaches who also got everything they could out of the players they coached. These were coaches that the players didn't want to let down- and this was reflected in their effort and weekly performance.

It will not be easy, and a lot of good, sound football decisions must be made. But it can be done.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

The Titans are a good example, the Giants are a better one.
    I still remember 2004 my first year in NY were Kurt was name QB, their OL wasn't as good, but guess what, it took them 3 years to be one of the most dominant OL in the NFL, gosh I still remember the fist series Eli ever played in the NFL against the eagles . . . I thought they killed him. I'm sure that part of the success they have is due to the OL, either "wind "or "fire"would be backup at best in any other team. They had the best FA pick up EVER with Madison, and never mind the defensive draft picks they had, it seems that every DT they draft is a pro bowler. But there was also some change in the coaching direction, he was open to players suggestions and "cleaned the house", who would have thought that tiki could be let go . . . or shockey . . .or even the moron of burress?
    As much as I hate the gnats, and I hate them a lot, they did the right thing, although I still believe that they could have done the same with Rivers.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I must spead some around first, but Number 6 was a killer.

Oh, and the rest of them are bang on too, so consider this a quote for emphasis.