Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Rep for EVERYONE who hates the media ...

Seriously. Is there anything worse than the sports media? Particularly ESPN.

I think my weiner dog could perform a better day to day analysis then these yahoos ...

I was reading over the predicitions for the upcoming season. Guess what? Every single writer on ESPN has us finishing third or fourth in the NFC west. Except Wickersham that is. Look at the Post-Dispatch. These idiots have us finishing between 3-13 and 5-11 ...

So here is what I don't get. Last year, most had us predicted to finish 2nd to 3rd in the division. I saw anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6. So what gives?

They were able to predict us to come out like that last year, and now this year, 3-13 to 5-11? I am not quite sure I get it. Look at the roster from top to bottom? We didn't really lose anything, and we gained some solid young players in the draft. Our defense improved noticably last year, and this was with absolutely no pass rush from the DE's. Wait a minute, Little and Hall are both healhty and were raising heck this preseason. I would think with healthy DE's, a potential young stud in Long, and more experience from top to bottom, that our defense would be drastically improved ...

Then, lets look at the offense. Add Al Saunders, with an improved offensive line, and we should have decent production, at minimum. Improved offense play will result in holding onto the ball longer and help keep the D fresh. But yet, 3-13 to 5-11, a good 4 to 5 games worse than the predictions from last year ...

Better yet, is that almost every writer acknowledges that the poor season last year was due to injuries all around. Yet, they still predict the 3-13 to 5-11 finishes. What made us so much worse form last year to now?

Maybe it's the loss of Chillar???? Or Saunders will run the offense into the ground ...

Fact is, these robots predict the exact same thing every season. The pick the same teams to succeed, and the same teams to fail. After the year is over, the take whatever surprise teams there were for the year, and include them in their winners the following year ...

Then you have teams like the Cardinals. They pick them every year to have a "breakout season" and its the same ole, same ole ...

However, they keep picking them, because when they finally do have a breakout season (yea right), then they can say, hey, I told you so ...

It 's is so clearly obvious that these guys have no idea what they are talking about. They probably don't even pay attention to what is going it. It really makes me sick thinking about what these guys get paid ...

Geez, rep to all who would like to vent on the media!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Rep for EVERYONE who hates the media ...

It's the media. I feel ashamed that I am going to be part of the media for my career choice when I finish college.

The media has to do their job. Especially in sports media, where it is near impossible to predict what a team will do. This is why I do not want to be a part of sports media. For the most part when it comes to predictions, no one gets it right. Look at last season. Who knew that the Giants would win? I'm more than sure that no reporter had said at the beginning of the season that the Giants would overcome and win it all. No one knew it.

And because of that, I would love to avoid all forms of sports media, unless its just editing the video (which I want to do in my life). I don't want to be the one who makes assumptions.

So I will agree with you. Sports media is a terrible thing.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    It's the media. I feel ashamed that I am going to be part of the media for my career choice when I finish college.

The media has to do their job. Especially in sports media, where it is near impossible to predict what a team will do. This is why I do not want to be a part of sports media. For the most part when it comes to predictions, no one gets it right. Look at last season. Who knew that the Giants would win? I'm more than sure that no reporter had said at the beginning of the season that the Giants would overcome and win it all. No one knew it.

And because of that, I would love to avoid all forms of sports media, unless its just editing the video (which I want to do in my life). I don't want to be the one who makes assumptions.

So I will agree with you. Sports media is a terrible thing.

One of the main problems I have is I think the employer justs into the ears of the media personnel that work for them. I believe ESPN pretty much scripts everything these guys say. They are all over the Patriots, Cowboys, Colts, etc. I just wish one of them have some balls and would go out of their way to actually be original and bold ...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    One of the main problems I have is I think the employer justs into the ears of the media personnel that work for them. I believe ESPN pretty much scripts everything these guys say. They are all over the Patriots, Cowboys, Colts, etc. I just wish one of them have some balls and would go out of their way to actually be original and bold ...
    You are right on that. These big news agencies are not allowed to play favorites. Which is why they pick the teams who are already "favored" by the other media and the fans. Because these teams have been performing well the past few seasons, it is easy for them to come out and say that they will do good again. Certainly it happens for those three teams.

But as you mentioned, when will someone come out and be a bit more original? When they have the special guests come into the studio to help them to do a segment, occasionally you will see them go out of their way and choose a team who isn't the Colts, Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. Which is what I enjoy.

I like watching other teams get the spotlights. And I'm hoping soon enough, it will be our Rams.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Do I get a rep point for not listening to the media? We watch the game, that's it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Pure and simple, it's hyperbole, exaggeration and misinformation grounded in what was once the truth.

I think you will find the hate is relative to how well the Rams are performing on the field ........................................

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

In my opinion ESPN hires to many ex-players. Because they used to play in the NFL they are now so-called experts? Yeah right!!!

Some of the ex-players do a decent job but there has been alot of them that are just homers and plug the team they played for.

Of all the predictions I've heard or read about only Mike Golic of MIKE & MIKE in the morning has predicted our RAMS as a surprise team for 2008.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

What really annoys me is how the media acknowledge how the OL was hit by injuries last season but still go on to say how this season Bulger will still be running for his life because the OL sucks.

Most experts hear the name Rams and automatically says "the Defense is crap". With complete failure to acknowledge how they had to spend so much time on the field because the offense couldn't get a drive go. And lets face it, it's easy to pass on a team with no pass rush because both starting DEs are injured.

The biggers site like ESPN show a complete failure to look beyond the obvious statistics.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I hate Chris Berman- I think he's slightly depressed this year because Brady's been hurt and he hasn't been able gush & drool all over him with his highly disturbing mancrush. He tried to fill that void with Favre returning, but it wasn't the same. If Brady begins to miss the regular season with that injury, you might see a very subdued Chris Berman- except for the occasional bad nickname based on a lame 70's rock song.

P.S.

I also agree with Hank Steinbrenner that being based in Bristol makes EPSN incredibly biased towards teams from the New England area.

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

The media rarely look beyond the last season for their predictions of the coming season. Hence the 3-13 repeat crap.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I love the yearly Cardinals prediction. I laugh at it every year, every year is supposed to be the year the Cardinals finally stop sucking. I mean sure if you keep making that prediction you'll be right sometime, maybe they'll win it all in 2050, but that's ok, I'll keep laughing until then.

Here's to another crappy year for the Cardinals to amuse us all and make the sportswriters wrong again this year

makersncoke is offline Registered User

The only thing these bozos base their opinion off of is the record you had last year. That's intelligent,too many ex-players with nothing better to do but wear 3 thousand dollar suits and give a half-baked opinion of of the league. ESPN in the worst at reporting opinion and not realy giving anallysis. To all our friends on the Gulf Coast good luck and God bless.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I've said it before and I'll say it again: They do not watch the games, they only look at the scores from the last game.

Since I first said that a few years ago. I found out more about the procedures of picking a record for the various teams.

1. Take pictures of team logos to a major art museum (or somewhere else that no one knows anything about football). Ask them which ones would make Claude Monet puke. Throw these into pile "A".

2. Check the barometric pressures of each town in Alaska, and randomly mix these with the team names. Throw these into pile "B".

3. Contact someone in the oil futures market, ask him or her if the price of bananas will rise next September. Take pictures of all head coaches, and place them in order of likeness to a monkey. This will give you your power ranking.

4. Take pile "A' and pile "B" and try to match the names of the teams with the logos. If you get one or more correct, you can be a football expert, too!

5. Here's the hard part: Find out which teams have been videotaping other teams. The one with the most tapes MUST be the best team, so they will be #1. The rest of it is easy!

6. Call Peter King and ask him how each team will do. Remind him that all teams play 16 games, so whatever numbers he gives you, they have to equal 16.

7. Check with your doctor to find out which cities you got "Montezuma's Revenge" in. They're at the bottom.

8. Now, last step here, you've already got your first place team and your last place team, all you have to do is randomly write down numbers that add up to 16 for each team! Just make sure it's close to everyone else's guesses!

If you are only doing the division, it's a little easier! Always give first place to the team from the city with the most Starbucks, then the city with the warmest temperatures in January, and flip a coin to see who wins the other spots. Heads, it's a city close to the ocean in third place, tails, the river city gets it, and if it lands on the edge...then the Rams will be picked to go all the way!

Yeah, I agree, the media sometimes makes NO sense with the picks they make. Ignore them. Their job is to sell magazines and newspapers, their job is NOT to be right. Think of these "expert predictions" this way: Expert picks are to reality as Boone's Farm is to fine wine. It just don't add up.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

So here is what I don't get. Last year, most had us predicted to finish 2nd to 3rd in the division. I saw anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6. So what gives?

Very Good Point......

The media is more interested in ratings and spending more than a half second on St. Louis would be wasteful. Talk about Brady or the Cowboys true or not will bring in ratings. The outside media has no interest in St. Louis Rams unless it's the greatest show on turf...

Go Rams

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast