Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Report: Gruden to return to coaching in 2012; AJ Smith + Gruden Package Deal for Rams

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Report: Gruden to return to coaching in 2012; AJ Smith + Gruden Package Deal for Rams

Per Profootballtalk:

Earlier this year, Jon Gruden signed an “exclusive” five-year contract with ESPN, which was scheduled to commence in 2012. And it’s so “exclusive” that Gruden may be gone before the first day of the new deal.

In a thorough and detailed update regarding the coming turmoil in San Diego, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Gruden has decided to return to coaching in 2012, and that ESPN is aware of Gruden’s looming departure.

And here’s where it gets even more interesting. Acee reports that, if Rams owner Stan Kroenke fires coach Steve Spagnuolo and G.M. Billy Devaney, Kroenke will attempt to hire Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith (if/when Smith is fired by the Chargers) and Gruden in a package deal that would consist of a guy who never smiles, and a guy who always scowls.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos is expected to reveal next week his plans regarding the G.M. position. It’s widely regarded as a given that coach Norv Turner will be fired.

On Sunday night, Peter King of Football Night In America opined that the Rams’ job could be the best one available in the 2012 hiring cycle, given the presence of Sam Bradford, the possibility of the top pick in the 2012 draft, and the most cap room of any team come 2013.

Of course, there’s also a chance that Smith is hoping the Chargers realize that Smith could lure Gruden to San Diego as the replacement for Turner. Perhaps not coincidentally, Gruden gushed about Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers when San Diego recently played the Jaguars on Monday Night Football. (We know he does that with everyone, but it was even more over the top than usual with Rivers.)

========================================================

If this happens I am going to go nuts. I have been calling for Jon Gruden to be our next head coach since uh October! Best news I've read in a while. AJ Smith has built a very talented roster in SD, they have just had poor coaching. His eye for talent, with Grudens coaching ability and we could be set w a regime that will stick for a long, long time. SD please Fire AJ Smith and Kroenke do what you got to do so we can bring in a superstar regime for 2012!!!!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Report: Gruden to return to coaching in 2012; AJ Smith + Gruden Package Deal for

Oh, ProFootballTalk.

Where do I even begin?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Gruden to return to coaching in 2012; AJ Smith + Gruden Package Deal for

I could not be more for Chuckie at this point.. I could of sworn last week I read that " AJ Smith + Jeff Fisher a package deal " .... From the same reporter.. But whatever. I'll take Chuckie and AJ Smith very gladly. Talented GM who has a knack for finding good players and a tough SB winning coach who will eat you alive if you make a mistake.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Jon Gruden is a caricature of a head coach. He's the guy who suggested that Bradford had played so poorly this season that if he were making the decisions in St. Louis, he might take a long look at Baylor’s Robert Griffin III.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    Jon Gruden is a caricature of a head coach.
    He won a Super Bowl.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    Jon Gruden is a caricature of a head coach. He's the guy who suggested that Bradford had played so poorly this season that if he were making the decisions in St. Louis, he might take a long look at Baylor’s Robert Griffin III.
    I have got to be honest, though I think Bradford should stay...if a coach just comes here and automatically treats Bradford as some messiah who needs no evaluation and has no shot at losing his job, we've done wrong with the hire.

Sam is no different than the other 52 players. He played terrible this year, and needs to be evaluated. Gruden wouldn't be doing his due dillegence if he didnt. However, I think after talking with Sam Gruden will determine Sam is fine to be our franchise QB. But to say that it would be dumb of him to even consider it is stupid. He needs to evaluate that which he does not know.
    RockinRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    He won a Super Bowl.
    People I guess are just so used to mediocrity in our coaches they dont see good ones.

I cant believe some damn people. You're worried about him evaluating Bradford? Hes not a fan, hes a realist. He realizes that there is problems in his play that need to be fixed, and if they cant, than go out and get a better QB. Hes not a blind fan that thinks everything is all good because he did good last year and because his madden rating was 85... Big deal. Hes 1 of the 53 players here and he will be evaluated and treated just the same as all of them.

And just for the record pre-draft Chuckie had a interview with Bradford where they reviewed some of his plays and talked about reads and plays, and he was extremely impressed. He was hard on him only because he knew that he was going to be special.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    He won a Super Bowl.
    He was also handed quite the roster to do so. Hopefully we also have a good roster, albeit one that has simply failed to reach their potential.

One fact I didn't realize is that we'll have the most cap room in the NFL next year. This is indeed, a very enticing job opportunity.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I cant believe some damn people. You're worried about him evaluating Bradford? Hes not a fan, hes a realist. He realizes that there is problems in his play that need to be fixed, and if they cant, than go out and get a better QB. Hes not a blind fan that thinks everything is all good because he did good last year and because his madden rating was 85... Big deal. Hes 1 of the 53 players here and he will be evaluated and treated just the same as all of them.
    He is an experienced coach. I have no doubt in my mind Gruden will at least make us competitive.? He would be very good for Bradford also.! With him saying good things about RG3. It could have been a bit of a smokescreen by Gruden for all we know.?? Knowing he will be the new Rams HC at seasons end.?? One can dream.
    What's of more intrigue to me at the moment, is the A.J.Smith connection. How come Kevin Acee seems to be the only source on Kroenke speculation.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-27-2011 at 05:40 PM.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    He was also handed quite the roster to do so. Hopefully we also have a good roster, albeit one that has simply failed to reach their potential.

I wouldn't expect the Rams to go to the post season let alone the Super Bowl next season. It's going to take time no matter who the next head coach is. Hopefully fans cut the next guy some slack and don't expect miracles. This team does have some keeper players but also has a ton of holes.

My point was that since Gruden has been there and won he has a clue to what a head coach needs to do to help a team reach that goal.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Gruden will help the team alot because he has experience... he's determined to win and has passion for the game.. He yells at his players unlike spags who's softer then a marshmellow to them.. we need guidance not motivation spags!

Trevor is offline Registered User

This guy has won more games than Spags has in case anyone is wondering...
    RamDez likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast