Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Report: Gruden to return to coaching in 2012; AJ Smith + Gruden Package Deal for Rams

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Gruden to return to coaching in 2012; AJ Smith + Gruden Package Deal for

Which head coach knows a QB more than jon Gruden????? he said he is going to take a long look at Bradford and see if there is a better QB...I am 100% confident Bradford is better than every 2012 draft QB except Luck. And i am sure Gruden will like Bradford he was high on bradford during the 2010 draft process.

However Steven Jacksons job might be in jeopardy eventhough hes played hard for bad teams
    RAMarkable likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Gruden to return to coaching in 2012; AJ Smith + Gruden Package Deal for

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Which head coach knows a QB more than jon Gruden????? he said he is going to take a long look at Bradford and see if there is a better QB...I am 100% confident Bradford is better than every 2012 draft QB except Luck. And i am sure Gruden will like Bradford he was high on bradford during the 2010 draft process.

However Steven Jacksons job might be in jeopardy eventhough hes played hard for bad teams
    To answer your question, Sean Payton, Norv Turner, Andy Reid, Brian Billick, Mike McCarthy, Jim Harbaugh, and lastly, but only for Bradford, Pat Shurmur. Then I'll put Chuckles.

Yes, he's a fiery head coach(So was Haslett...) who had some good offensive teams, and well, what we need right now is help on the offensive side, but what did he ever do for the defensive side? Yes, he built a good Raiders team that should have met us in the Super Bowl in 2002(That was a fumble, Brady), and then did meet Chuckles' Bucs in the Super Bowl in 2003. However, that team fell off the face of the galaxy for 8 years after that and the Bucs never did much after their win either.

I just don't see Gruden as a fix everything coach just because he won a super bowl(with a team led by Dungy and Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 and defensive all stars). Yes, Gruden got the offense to play up to a 2000 Ravens' level, but I wouldn't say that he was reason that they won it all. I would feel much better with a coach who showed consistency, namely Fisher, than more of a wild card in Gruden.

Of course, I'm not the owner, I'm not in management, and I'm not even a season ticket holder to tell who I would pay money to see for 10 games a year, but a Super Bowl ring and a supposed knowledge of quarterbacks does not a head coach make. Spags has a ring and a damn good knowedge of pass rushing. Look where we are with that...
    I believe!

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I I would feel much better with a coach who showed consistency, namely Fisher, than more of a wild card in Gruden.
    A guy that's never won anything over a guy who has?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

To answer your question, Sean Payton, Norv Turner, Andy Reid, Brian Billick, Mike McCarthy, Jim Harbaugh, and lastly, but only for Bradford, Pat Shurmur. Then I'll put Chuckles.

Yes, he's a fiery head coach(So was Haslett...) who had some good offensive teams, and well, what we need right now is help on the offensive side, but what did he ever do for the defensive side? Yes, he built a good Raiders team that should have met us in the Super Bowl in 2002(That was a fumble, Brady), and then did meet Chuckles' Bucs in the Super Bowl in 2003. However, that team fell off the face of the galaxy for 8 years after that and the Bucs never did much after their win either.

I just don't see Gruden as a fix everything coach just because he won a super bowl(with a team led by Dungy and Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 and defensive all stars). Yes, Gruden got the offense to play up to a 2000 Ravens' level, but I wouldn't say that he was reason that they won it all. I would feel much better with a coach who showed consistency, namely Fisher, than more of a wild card in Gruden.

Of course, I'm not the owner, I'm not in management, and I'm not even a season ticket holder to tell who I would pay money to see for 10 games a year, but a Super Bowl ring and a supposed knowledge of quarterbacks does not a head coach make. Spags has a ring and a damn good knowedge of pass rushing. Look where we are with that...
    Its still definitely an upgrade with Gruden, over the previous HC's brought in here. He may have a little bit of a different perspective on coaching today.? Lessons learned from his his time in Tampa.?

Its still a massive IF on Gruden, though.??? Same for Smith.??? It's a good idea putting these two together in my opinion.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-27-2011 at 04:14 PM.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

The 2 season after the superbowl win were horrible because limited money and draft picks but i do see where your comming from because gruden did not have a playoff win after that...But its not like Jeff Fisher had done better in the playoffs.

Also look what gruden has done while face injuries look at the 2005 season (gruden lost his starting QB and still went 11-5) and in 2007 (he had so many key injuries still finishing with a winning record)

Gruden has shown he can build a team in Oakland...in tampa he had little cap and lack of draft picks. In St. Louis he will have a GM in AJ Smith, money, and draft picks...gruden is a great motivational coach

Also with Fisher who is going to be his Off.. coordinator because that is what we need?
    Harry S. Truman likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Also with Fisher who is going to be his Off.. coordinator because that is what we need?
    Looks like Norv Turner will be looking for a job as OC again
    TekeRam likes this.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I cant believe some damn people. You're worried about him evaluating Bradford? Hes not a fan, hes a realist. He realizes that there is problems in his play that need to be fixed, and if they cant, than go out and get a better QB. Hes not a blind fan that thinks everything is all good because he did good last year and because his madden rating was 85... Big deal. Hes 1 of the 53 players here and he will be evaluated and treated just the same as all of them.
    Except Chuckie has never developed a young QB to their full potential, and based on reports about what went down in Tampa when he was fired, doesn't want to. Gruden would bus in some has been retread for a couple of years of a quick fix, and that would inevitably fail, and hellooo long term mediocrity.

Gruden is not a good coach for any team embarking on a youth movement. And all NFL veterans hate AJ Smith. So yeah, this has the makings of disaster written all over it.
    TekeRam and Flippin' Ram like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i
    A guy that's never won anything over a guy who has?
    A guy who got his own team to the Super Bowl and a yard away from a ring and who showed he can rebuild and retool a franchise multiple times over a guy who won because he didn't have to fight through the GSOT to get to the Super Bowl and still had his predecessor's amazing defense and DC? Every time.

The 2 season after the superbowl win were horrible because limited money and draft picks but i do see where your comming from because gruden did not have a playoff win after that...But its not like Jeff Fisher had done better in the playoffs.

Also look what gruden has done while face injuries look at the 2005 season (gruden lost his starting QB and still went 11-5) and in 2007 (he had so many key injuries still finishing with a winning record)

Gruden has shown he can build a team in Oakland...in tampa he had little cap and lack of draft picks. In St. Louis he will have a GM in AJ Smith, money, and draft picks...gruden is a great motivational coach

Rams had extremely limited money and undeveloped/cut draft picks this year... just saying.

Gruden also did that in a NFL-worst NFC South division in 2005. In 2007, Vick again was gone from the division, Delhomme was even worse than '05, and Brees and co had a setback year after the NFC Championship. Not saying that he didn't do his work to get his team up to play, but the rest of the division had a lot to do with those two seasons(as shown by their exits against the Skins and G-men). Fisher had to deal with the constant 10+ wins of Peyton Manning for most of his career, as well as the occasional spurt from Jacksonville and still has just about the same win percentage of Gruden. Both only had one post season with more than one win, where they both went to the SB, and then two more 1 win post seasons.

And the retort to who will be Fisher's OC(which I hope would be McDaniels to keep the same offense for at least one offseason...): who would be Gruden's DC, because we need run stuffing help, cornerback development, and to keep the pass rush alive. Stepping back in our one positive won't do anything to help the team. Motivation is great, but I haven't seen Gruden's ability to cultivate a lasting franchise. Fisher has that going for him.
    I believe!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    This guy has won more games than Spags has in case anyone is wondering...
    45-51 was his record in Tampa.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    One fact I didn't realize is that we'll have the most cap room in the NFL next year. This is indeed, a very enticing job opportunity.
    Actually, he (Peter King) said 2013, so that would be year after next.

gap

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    He won a Super Bowl.
    Knowing every play of the Raiders playbook. He won games with Dungy's roster and then it slowly decayed through his management.

Sammy Ocho Bradford is offline Registered User

Well one has the ego the size of the grand canyon, and the other runs through QB's like toilet paper....however Rams need to get back on the national stage, this move would do it.

Gruden has technically been apart of building two Super Bowl finalist (Raiders/Bucs), and Smith has fielded some of the most talented teams in the last half-decade.

I don't think there would be a better combo based on hindsight.

Sammy Ocho Bradford is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Knowing every play of the Raiders playbook. He won games with Dungy's roster and then it slowly decayed through his management.
    A.J smith would run the show, Gruden would coach.

If anything a hire like Cowher is more suspect since he isn't bringing the Steelers FO with him, and he supposedly wants to assemble his own team.

They key is acquiring someone who can assemble talent, and him finding a suitable coach imo.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

People in this forum needs to start respecting the ring/s. Gruden has one Jeff doesn't, end of story.
    Jeff was one yard away from a TIE, not a ring 10 years ago
    Martz was one field goal away from a tie... is anybody comparing him to Jon or Jeff???

Please be realistic.

BTW, I'd love both coaches, but I'd like fisher more... but you have to respect Jon's carreer
    Harry S. Truman likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Two questions:

1) How come the Raiders used the same playbook from Gruden's days?

and 2) How come Dungy didn't win anything with Dungy's roster?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast