Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Report: Rams hire Frank Cignetti, Rutgers OC, as QB coach

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Report: Rams hire Frank Cignetti, Rutgers OC, as QB coach

Per Rotoworld via fox sports

The Rams have reportedly hired Rutgers OC Frank Cignetti as QBs coach.

There was speculation that Cignetti was a candidate for the Bucs' coordinator job, though Greg Schiano didn't interview him after the two worked together last year. Cignetti has previous NFL experience as QBs coach with the Saints (2000-2001) and ***** (2007).
    Can't say I know much about him other then he has been a coordinator for multiple offenses in the NCAA ranks.

Based on the staff we've built, i'm sure this is yet another quality hire by Fisher. Staff appears complete, now to get a GM.

Happy that Sam will actually have a QB coach this season.

Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -02-07-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Fettmaster likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Rams hire Frank Cignetti, Rutgers OC, as QB coach

Cignetti was most successful serving as the offensive coordinator at Fresno State for four years from 2002 until 2006. In 2004, Fresno State's offense ranked fifth nationally and seventh in 2005. In 2004 Fresno State became the sixth team in NCAA history to score over 50 points in four consecutive games. The 2004 team also led the Western Athletic Conference in average yards per carry and amassed 65 touchdowns.
    Cignetti served as the offensive coordinator for the North Carolina Tar Heels for the 2006 season. When Butch Davis was hired to replace former coach John Bunting at North Carolina, Davis relieved Cignetti of his coaching duties. Cignetti also served as offensive coordinator for the California Golden Bears.[1] Cignetti accepted a position as the offensive coordinator of the University of Pittsburgh football team under head coach Dave Wannstedt on February 18, 2009.[2]
    Cignetti also served as quarterbacks coach for the New Orleans Saints and as an offensive assistant with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Not sure how i feel about this hire. Im happy we have qb coach this year at least.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Well, from what I can see he's never been on a staff with Fisher or Schott, so this isn't a cronie hire. I assume there is something they like about this guy's record or his reputation. As others said, the key here is that Sam will have a coach to work directly with him.
    Truth and THOLTFAN81 like this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Based on the staff we've built, i'm sure this is yet another quality hire by Fisher. Staff appears complete, now to get a GM.

Happy that Sam will actually have a QB coach this season.

Not quite so fast. I believe that we are still looking for coaches for RB, TE,and DB positions. But we are getting closer to a full staff and I like the people that Fish is reeling in.

Also, sure hope we get a quality candidate for GM. We ain't had one of those in quite a spell...

WHAT SAY YE?

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

From what i can tell, correct me if i am wrong,

Kansas City Quality Control - for whats its worth, Grbac & Moon were on the roster
    Saints QB Coach - Aaron Brooks
    OC for Fresno when David Carr, Paul Pinegar and Brandstater were Bulldogs
    QB Coach for "those that shall not be named" - Alex Smith

and im at work, so anyone want to complete the list, feel free ... work work

looks good to me though

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I can't say I'm a big fan, but I admit that there's probably some bias there since he's spent the last three years in the Big East at Pitt and Rutgers. I'm not seeing much from his stints in New Orleans and San Francisco to get excited about, either. So I guess you can put me in the "wait and see" category for this one. Hopefully Fisher knows something we don't (which is often the case, since we're merely fans).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's his bio from the official Rutgers site...

Frank Cignetti begins his first season with the Rutgers coaching staff as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Scarlet Knights.

Cignetti boasts a coaching resume that stretches over 20 years in both the NFL and on the collegiate level. He arrives at Rutgers after serving the previous two seasons at the University of Pittsburgh in the same capacity.

During his tenure at Pitt, Cignetti helped produce some of the most prolific results in Panther history. In total, seven of Pitt's offensive players were named All-BIG EAST selections the last two seasons, including Dion Lewis, who was honored as the league's Offensive Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year in 2009.

In his first year on the Pitt staff, the Panthers had one of their most potent offenses in school history, scoring 32.1 points per game - one of the top five scoring offenses ever at Pitt. The offensive arsenal included a 1,700-yard rusher, a 1,000-yard receiver and a quarterback who threw for more than 2,600 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Prior to joining the coaching staff at Pitt, Cignetti spent the 2008 season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of California. The Bears averaged nearly 33 points per game en route to a 9-4 record and victory over Miami in the Emerald Bowl.

In 2007, Cignetti spent the season in the NFL as the San Francisco *****' quarterbacks coach. Before his stint with the *****, Cignetti was the offensive coordinator at North Carolina (2006) and Fresno State (2002-05).

Cignetti led Fresno State to back-to-back top 10 national rankings in scoring offense, ranking fifth in the country in scoring offense in 2004 and seventh in 2005. He helped guide Fresno State to four consecutive bowl games.

In 2004, Fresno averaged 52.8 points over the last six games and became just the sixth team in NCAA history to score 50 or more points in four consecutive contests. Fresno finished that season 9-3, led the Western Athletic Conference in average yards per carry (5.4) and scored 65 touchdowns.

Cignetti has been a part of successful programs at all levels. In the NFL, he won a division championship and a playoff game with the New Orleans Saints in 2000. He was part of three bowl victories at Fresno State, and on the Division II level - at Indiana University of Pennsylvania - he reached the national championship game twice and the semifinals four times.

Before joining Frenso State, Cignetti was the New Orleans Saints quarterbacks coach in 2000 and 2001. In 2000, he helped the Saints earn the NFC West title and the franchise's first playoff win.

Cignetti landed his first NFL position in 1999 with the Kansas City Chiefs. While on the staff Cignetti coached the Senior Bowl that year.

Cignetti was an all-conference safety at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, from where he graduated in 1988.

From 1990-98, Cignetti was on his father's staff at IUP, where he served as IUP's receivers, secondary and quarterbacks coach before elevating to offensive coordinator for his final two seasons.

Cignetti's family has many football ties beginning with his father, Frank, who spent 20 seasons as the head coach at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, winning 182 games. The elder Cignetti was also the head coach at West Virginia from 1976-79. Cignetti's brother, Curt, is the head coach at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Cignetti and his wife Ellen are the proud parents of four children. The couple has three daughters Alyssa, Gabrielle and Ella, and a son Frank III.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I was told today that he turned down the OC job at tampa to work with fisher and sammy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    THOLTFAN81 and Ram Mar Ram like this.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Regardless of what you think of him he is still better than last year's QB coach.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

QB coach > no QB coach

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=RAMarkable;416287]Not quite so fast. I believe that we are still looking for coaches for RB, TE,and DB positions. But we are getting closer to a full staff and I like the people that Fish is reeling in.

Have we hired a Special Teams Coach yet? Our performance in this area dictates a solid hire IMHO.

Go Rams!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

He may not have the greatest resume, but he is obviously a good fit for what Fisher and Co wanted. I definitely have faith in Fishers work with QB's, and honestly expect this hire to be very good for Sam Bradford. I suppose you N.Jersey people may know a little more about him.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-07-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I was told today that he turned down the OC job at tampa to work with fisher and sammy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Fishers pulling power at work again. turning down an OC job for a QB one.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Awesome! Hopefully he works with Sam as well as Dick Curl did.

MACD is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    Fishers pulling power at work again. turning down an OC job for a QB one.
    Unheard of! How soon till OTA's?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast