Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Report: Rams hire Frank Cignetti, Rutgers OC, as QB coach

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Rams hire Frank Cignetti, Rutgers OC, as QB coach

[QUOTE=mde8352gorams;416299]
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Not quite so fast. I believe that we are still looking for coaches for RB, TE,and DB positions. But we are getting closer to a full staff and I like the people that Fish is reeling in.

Have we hired a Special Teams Coach yet? Our performance in this area dictates a solid hire IMHO.

Go Rams!
    Yes, we have. The Rams hired John Fassel (son of former NYG HC, Jim) to be our new ST coach. Until this year I actually thought that McMahon was doing a decent job with the STs.

Well, that is until we kept punting the ball to %$^#$ Patrick Peterson...

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I was told today that he turned down the OC job at tampa to work with fisher and sammy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I hope we get some confirmation from somewhere as to whether that was actually the case, as I've yet to find confirmation that he was even brought in for an interview in Tampa, let alone offered the job.

general counsel is offline Registered User

My source on the information was a guy who sold me a rams item today on ebay. I have no idea how credible he is, but he did report to me first thing this am that the hire was made and the rams would announce it later today. I got the info from him hours before it was posted and wasnt sure what to make of it. By the time i got off a series of conference calls, the information was public and posted on the clan site. Thus, there is some reason to believe that the guy knew what he was talking about. That said, i agree with Nick, some confirmation would be nice.

At the end of the day, it appears to me to be a solid professional selection and only time will tell whether it works out. For now, in fisher we should all trust.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I would have to disagree on the part where someone said that a qb coach is better than no qb coach.

That's not always the case.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I would have to disagree on the part where someone said that a qb coach is better than no qb coach.

I'm gonna need to hear an explanation on this one...

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

Maybe having no QB coach would be better than if you hired someone like myself who has no experience coaching QB's in the NFL, but unless a qualified QB coach is constantly clashing with Sam or Fischer I see no down side in having a coach be able to work with Sam 1 on 1 and be there to help better groom him into a franchise quarterback.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I like this hire because he has been an OC before, albeit in the college ranks. I anticipate we should get used to Mr. Cignetti because I think he will be here for a while. I think Schotty will groom him, and when he inevitably gets his HC job that he will get, Cignetti can slide in as our new OC, thus giving Sam some continuity for once... promoting from within.

Makes sense that he would be our OC in waiting.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I like this hire because he has been an OC before, albeit in the college ranks. I anticipate we should get used to Mr. Cignetti because I think he will be here for a while. I think Schotty will groom him, and when he inevitably gets his HC job that he will get, Cignetti can slide in as our new OC, thus giving Sam some continuity for once... promoting from within.

Makes sense that he would be our OC in waiting.
    Good point. That is a good sign to see, so everything will be constant.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I find it comical that anyone here feels that he or she can assess the quality of this hiring, one way or another.

With a HC or maybe even a coordinator, you can look at the track record and at least have a basis for an educated guess. But for a position coach, there is simply no way for us to truly evaluate the hiring.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I would argue that having a QB coach is IMPERATIVE for a guy like Bradford who is learning his trade at the pro level and needs guidance like any young QB. There's no excuse in this day of specialization why this should not have been done last season.

Living 40 minutes from Rutgers Univ, I follow the team. It is difficult to assess Cignetti's ability because he was only there for a little over a year and Rutgers has had an unstable QB situation for a couple of years. Heralded freshman Tom Savage left the program after being outplayed by Chas Dodd, who himself was a part of a revolving door at the position this season with freshman Gary Nova. I've seen direct snaps to Mohammed Sanu as part of the past offensive package. Read into this what you will, and I don't know if Cignetti or former coach Greg Schiano was responsible for this musical chairs act at the position, but while I'm all for hiring a QB coach, I'm neutral on the choice of Cignetti.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -02-08-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I find it comical that anyone here feels that he or she can assess the quality of this hiring, one way or another.

With a HC or maybe even a coordinator, you can look at the track record and at least have a basis for an educated guess. But for a position coach, there is simply no way for us to truly evaluate the hiring.
    True but I think it is safe to say that Cignetti is better than having no QB coach no matter which way anyone feels about him. So I am at least happy about that.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

True, but when has an inability to accurately judge things in the NFL ever stopped us fans from providing our two cents?
    HUbison likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What does a QB coach actually do? Other than the obvious!

josh3135 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What does a QB coach actually do? Other than the obvious!
    I'm pretty sure the QB coach works with the OC to come up with training drills and such to help maximize the QB's understanding of the playbook, and to make sure there aren't any fundamental technical issues going on with the player's throwing, movement, decision making process, etc.

During game time, the QB Coach is looking at stills with the QB, marking defensive packages and showing any errors or potential misreads or whatever is happening on the field.
    THOLTFAN81 and lostsoul like this.

Quote Originally Posted by josh3135 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the QB coach works with the OC to come up with training drills and such to help maximize the QB's understanding of the playbook, and to make sure there aren't any fundamental technical issues going on with the player's throwing, movement, decision making process, etc.

During game time, the QB Coach is looking at stills with the QB, marking defensive packages and showing any errors or potential misreads or whatever is happening on the field.
    Or in less words, he coaches the quarterback.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast