Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Rams to Release Claiborne

Is there anyone in the draft class at LB that seems like Robert Thomas, because i suggest we stay away from them

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Abraham is franchised and Lewis isn't going anywhere.
    Jets | Shopping Abraham
    Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:06:07 -0800

Updating ongoing reports, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the New York Jets, according to multiple league sources, have been offering DE John Abraham, the team's franchise player, in trade talks during the NFL Combine. They have discussed potential scenarios with a number of teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Jets | Shopping Abraham
    Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:06:07 -0800

Updating ongoing reports, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the New York Jets, according to multiple league sources, have been offering DE John Abraham, the team's franchise player, in trade talks during the NFL Combine. They have discussed potential scenarios with a number of teams.
    And what would you like to give up for him?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    And what would you like to give up for him?
    I never said I wanted him at all, don't know where you got that. You mentioned he was franchised and I pointed out that they are shopping him.
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I never said I wanted him at all, don't know where you got that. You mentioned he was franchised and I pointed out that they are shopping him.
    I assumed the link meant you were interested in him. My bad. That's what assuming gets me.

On the subject of Abraham though, since he's franchised, the Jets can get 2 first rounders for him if a team wants to pony up the money. But since they appear to be shopping him, maybe they would go with less. However, with as many gaps as we have staring us on the roster, I don't see a feasible way to bring in Abraham.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rampage39 Guest

even though abraham is really good, i wouldn't give more than a 2nd round pick for the guy. hes 28 going on 29 so i figured he'll only have about 3 good seasons left.

Tony Soprano Guest

Claiborne is no surprise.. They should've mentioned Damione Lewis's name in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Claiborne is no surprise.. They should've mentioned Damione Lewis's name in that article.
    Damione Lewis is a Free Agent though, so the Rams don't need to cut him, they just have to not resign him

realchamp11 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Maybe its because were getting Abraham or R. Lewis?

Ya i wish LOL

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by realchamp11
    Ya i wish LOL
    Hey man you never know.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Before we see Haslett's aggression on the field we're seeing it on the roster. I personally wouldn't have minded seening Claiborne given one more year, on the basis that he hadn't played his preferred position since college and that last year wasn't a fair situation to judge anyone on.

I'm not surprised that he's been released however, as there were rumours of injury leading to retirement last season and $1.5 mil is useful cash to free up. I'm very interested in the candidates to replace him. You have to think it will be through the draft, as an aging FA pick-up is without much point if you release Claiborne who was also a second tier FA pick-up.

Retaining Coakley doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me in the light of this move, for the sake of consistency. His deal was well structured as far as the Rams are concerned, he was never going to see out the end of his deal and I believe the cap hit for him would be minimal (correct me please If I'm off base there) if we cut him.

The decisiveness of this, if confirmed, is exciting and is a foretaste of the kind of attitude we might see from the 'other' side of the ball this season.

As for Abraham, good player but no thanks.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

It would seem to be more likely that the team would wait until after JUne 1 to release Claiborne, because doing so now would actually cost them cap room, since 2.5 million counts against the cap if they release him now. Of course if the cap goes much higher with a new CBA agreement, then they might go ahead and make a move now.
    Barry Waller

I think they will likely release him now for two reasons.
    The first is that they want the cap and roster space to start retooling the defense.

The second is the Front Office might finally recognise the fact they can't keep having money tied up in people who were cut ages ago, like what happened with Kurt Warner and Kyle Turley

maineram Guest

Nice to see you at the Clan Barry. Your insight into issues is appreciated.

Maineram - :clanram:

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

There is NO cap savings gained by releasing Claiborne now, because the pro rated bonus amount that would all count now is $2.4 million, while his 2006 salary is $2.1 million. Releasing him now would still leave a $2.4 million cap hit this year, though in terms of REAL dollars it would save $2.1 million once the season began, because they would not have to pay his salary.

Releasing him AFTER June 1 would save $900,000 in cap at that time, but cost a hit of $1.2 million in 2007.

Even without doing anything, the Rams have $10 to $15 million in cap space now to spend on FA, and to sign their own guys.

They will create about $7 million more by redoing Ike Bruce, plus a new CBA could boost the cap up to $100 million, about $5 million more than was expected in 2006.

The Rams have enough cap space to sign two or three top defensive FA, sign guys like Curtis, McDonald, JAckson, Lewis, and even Pickett.

>>>I think they will likely release him now for two reasons.
    The first is that they want the cap and roster space to start retooling the defense.>>>>
    Barry Waller

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast