Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Rams to Release Claiborne

Actually, Claiborne has a cap number of $3.3 million in 2006, so it would add $900,000 in cap space if he were cut now. However, waiting until June 1 would add $2.1 million.

Sorry about the miscalculation on my part, but even so, if Claiborne is let go now, it won't be because of cap space, which the team already has enough of with the probability of adding a lot more with a new Bruce deal and a higher cap due to a new CBA.

$900,000 wouldn't even get you a FA as good as Claiborne, just a veteran backup making around the minimum.

If they cut him this soon, it's because of some other reason.

Barry Waller

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller
    It doesn't make sense to release him now and take the additional cap hit before June 1st. Even if we'll have a nice cushion under the cap, as Barry pointed out, you can always use more. We have ALOT of needs!

Anyone care to speculate?

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I know the previous coaching staff wasnt too happy with him, which is why we saw Trev Faulk get so much more playing time as the season dwindled down. Perhaps it's something that we dont know.

Either way, cant wait to see Freddie Roach trade in his Alabama helmet for a St.Louis one.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

This is the thing that confuses me about the cap. Depending on which source you consult, you get a different answer. Why are the media quoting a figure of $1.5 mil in relation to cutting Claiborne now? I had a look at a report on either SI or the NFL website and in relation to Claiborne that was the figure quoted.

Barry, could you clear this up for a befuddled fan, as you seem to be well informed on this?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    This is the thing that confuses me about the cap. Depending on which source you consult, you get a different answer. Why are the media quoting a figure of $1.5 mil in relation to cutting Claiborne now? I had a look at a report on either SI or the NFL website and in relation to Claiborne that was the figure quoted.

Barry, could you clear this up for a befuddled fan, as you seem to be well informed on this?
    Thats what i based my posts on, it was in an article on espn.com about possible cap caualties.

Another thing i would like to know is if the problems with the CBA will affect free agency this year. i heard that without the CBA you can't spread out cap hits by cutting the player after June 1st, but that might only come in to play next year

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    From ESPN.com

LB Chris Claiborne Cap Number $3,900,000-----2006 Savings $1,500,000
    I posted this about 4 pages back, saw it on ESPN.com

I am also curious as to Fat Pang's question to Barry.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    I posted this about 4 pages back, saw it on ESPN.com

I am also curious as to Fat Pang's question to Barry.
    Sorry boys it was espn.com and it was in a list by team of potential cap casualties. Couldn't remember where I saw it...............

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Hmmmm.....Now someone please remind me - What was so great about the Rams LB's during the '05 season?

lol

Cya C.C. - Bye Bye!!!

BTW....you earned no regard!!

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller
    Actually, Claiborne has a cap number of $3.3 million in 2006, so it would add $900,000 in cap space if he were cut now. However, waiting until June 1 would add $2.1 million.

Sorry about the miscalculation on my part, but even so, if Claiborne is let go now, it won't be because of cap space, which the team already has enough of with the probability of adding a lot more with a new Bruce deal and a higher cap due to a new CBA.

$900,000 wouldn't even get you a FA as good as Claiborne, just a veteran backup making around the minimum.

Maybe this is why Claiborne was released. This comes from another thread started by Rambos.

Thank God we are under the cap.

By Thursday, however, when the real-world ramifications of the failed labor talks become more apparent, fans in a lot of NFL precincts will take notice. With negotiations toward an extension having broken off Tuesday afternoon -- despite earlier optimistic reports that the sides were poised to strike an agreement -- salary cap managers from several franchises are readying themselves for what one general manager suggested late Tuesday will come to be known as "Bloody Thursday."
    Translation: Because so many teams are up against the projected cap limit of $95 million to $96 million for 2006, and the lack of a CBA extension means there are few options for relief, some big-name players will be jettisoned by Thursday, when teams must be in compliance with the spending limit.
    "In past years, you'd see a lot of guys released who maybe still had some name value, but who were really in decline in terms of production," said one AFC team executive who was working late Tuesday, trying to figure out how to pare down a prohibitively bloated cap figure. "This year? People are going to be stunned -- not just by the quantity of players who are cut by Thursday, but by the quality, too. It's going to be ugly. There's going to be blood in the streets and, compared to past years, it's going to be from some bluebloods, guys who can still play."

Perhaps we will be releasing more players to make room for some potential incoming free agents?

Here's the whole article:
    Thank God we are under the cap.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345