Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Report: Rams shopping players for picks

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Report: Rams shopping players for picks

Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT

AP
    After parlaying the second overall pick in the 2012
    draft into three first-round picks and a second-round selection, Rams coach Jeff Fisher is looking to stockpile more selections on draft day.

Mike Lombardi of NFL Network reports that, with the trade deadline nine days away, the Rams are actively shopping players.

Lombardi named no names. But he said that the Rams are willing to flip players for picks because the Rams “know they’re not going to the Super Bowl this year.”
    It’s a little premature to put a fork between the horns, however. At 3-3, the Rams could still steal a wild-card berth. And, as we’ve seen time and again in recent years, anyone with a seat at the postseason table can then run the table.

Thus, we don’t see this as a case of Fisher folding the tent, but as a delicate balance between determining which players aren’t needed for the present and whether and to what extent those men can be turned into draft picks than can help secure the team’s future.
    The most intriguing player who could be traded is running back Steven Jackson. As rookie Daryl Richardson develops, and as the Rams reportedly plan to move forward without Jackson in 2013, could they move forward without him for the balance of the season, if the Rams want to give Jackson a chance to play for a contender. And if the Rams truly believe that they’re not a contender in 2012.

We’re not so sure that they’re not.

A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Rams shopping players for picks

I would not mind trading Jackson as long as it's something that Jackson himself wouldn't mind. He's seen the Rams through some tough times and I'd like him to leave on his own terms. If he wants to go to a contender (and who could blame him?), I would not mind picking up an extra pick (3rd?) for a player who may not be here past this year anyway.
    ManofGod likes this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I would not mind trading Jackson as long as it's something that Jackson himself wouldn't mind. He's seen the Rams through some tough times and I'd like him to leave on his own terms. If he wants to go to a contender (and who could blame him?), I would not mind picking up an extra pick (3rd?) for a player who may not be here past this year anyway.
    I agree with this, though I don't think we've got a chance in hell of getting a 3rd for SJ. Maybe a 4th, but I'd think a 5th is what we'd garner in a trade for SJ.

THE DREAM TEAM

TekeRam is offline Registered User

With runners going down almost daily with injuries, Jackson could be a very interesting prospect. Could you imagine him on Green Bay, where they certainly could use a pro bowl level player at the position with Benson hurt. It's not like they owe him any loyalty. Jackson would do great as a receiver for Rodgers as well, opening up the lanes for the receivers.

What about the Lions? Leshoure is doing ok, but he's not a superstar by any means. If they want to get back to the playoffs, a legitimate back who can take some of the focus off of Megatron would be very handy.

In the AFC, the Jets certainly aren't out of it, but have had tons of injuries of late at RB. McKnight was supposed to start playing DB but switched back before getting hurt. I'd hate to see him later when we play the Jets, but it's possible that Ryan would pull the trigger to try to save his butt.

We like trading running backs with the Colts, so I'll always leave that window open, but as they are in rebuild mode as well, I doubt that they'd go for it. They do have injuries at the position, however.

And finally, what about Denver? Hillman and Bell haven't impressed in limited work and McGahee did everything he could to lose the game against the Patriots. The tread on Willis' tires is getting pretty bald, and adding a powerful back who can get you tough yards in the winter and playoffs and catch dump offs from Peyton could possibly bring home a Super Bowl birth in a wide open AFC.
    ManofGod likes this.
    I believe!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I can't imagine Steven Jackson being traded in the middle of the season. When was the last time a bonafide star-even if he's past his prime- was dealt in the middle of a football season? Won't happen. And as nice a surprise as Richardson is showing himself to be, he's a long way in my eyes from replacing Jackson as the team's primary offensive weapon.

The Rams may parlay a useful player or two who doesn't fit into their future plans into a couple of picks, but it won't be anything earth-shattering.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Here are my thoughts on this:

1. Mike Lombardi has been wrong many times, and Mike "Terry Bradshaw is dead" Florio is not at all concerned about whether his reports are factual.

2. That stated, it is certainly logical that the Rams would be open to make a move or two if they think it will benefit them in the long run.

3. Steven Jackson is the obvious person to put on the block. And here's a thought - we may have played the obvious team to trade him to yesterday.

4. Not sure who else the Rams have who other teams would want AND the Rams would consider trading. I'm confident that Bradford, Givens, Quick, Amendola, Quinn, Long, Brockers, Langford, Laurinaitis, Finnegan, Mikell and Jenkins are all pretty much untouchable. Who does that leave? Kendricks? Saffold? Fletcher? I doubt the Rams are looking to move any of those guys but, then again, who knows?

5. I'd put pretty good money on the Rams not making any moves.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here are my thoughts on this:

1. Mike Lombardi has been wrong many times, and Mike "Terry Bradshaw is dead" Florio is not at all concerned about whether his reports are factual.

2. That stated, it is certainly logical that the Rams would be open to make a move or two if they think it will benefit them in the long run.

3. Steven Jackson is the obvious person to put on the block. And here's a thought - we may have played the obvious team to trade him to yesterday.

4. Not sure who else the Rams have who other teams would want AND the Rams would consider trading. I'm confident that Bradford, Givens, Quick, Amendola, Quinn, Long, Brockers, Langford, Laurinaitis, Finnegan, Mikell and Jenkins are all pretty much untouchable. Who does that leave? Kendricks? Saffold? Fletcher? I doubt the Rams are looking to move any of those guys but, then again, who knows?

5. I'd put pretty good money on the Rams not making any moves.

If they traded Lance Kendricks for a bag of bricks it would be a good trade. I'm more disappointed in this guy than any other Rams player. His pre-season last year appears to be nothing more than a huge tease.

Did Mike Florio really say Terry Bradshaw is dead??!
    ramsbruce likes this.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    If they traded Lance Kendricks for a bag of bricks it would be a good trade. I'm more disappointed in this guy than any other Rams player. His pre-season last year appears to be nothing more than a huge tease.

Bag of bricks might have softer hands too...
    ramsbruce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Yep. In 2007, PFT reported that he died in a car accident.

Rambos is offline Registered User

It's not like we have a TE that is killing it and it's not Lance Kendricks. I have to give Kendricks credit for helping the patch work O line play as well as it has. Once we get the O line fixed he should have more opportunities to catch passes.

I also had the same thought as Av that the Packers need a RB and SJ could go into the playoffs the next few years if he played for them. Sign and trade for Jennings works for me. I can dream can't I.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I also had the same thought as Av that the Packers need a RB and SJ could go into the playoffs the next few years if he played for them. Sign and trade for Jennings works for me. I can dream can't I.
    Absolutely you can.

However, my guess is that the Rams would rather have the Packers' 3rd round pick than a WR who's going into free agency.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Absolutely you can.

However, my guess is that the Rams would rather have the Packers' 3rd round pick than a WR who's going into free agency.
    A 3rd round pick? What are you, stuck in 2007? Forget about that! This is a very similar situation to Brandon Lloyd's last year, and all the Broncos mustered up was a 5th from us. SJ wont be bringing in anything more than a 4th.

THE DREAM TEAM

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    A 3rd round pick? What are you, stuck in 2007? Forget about that! This is a very similar situation to Brandon Lloyd's last year, and all the Broncos mustered up was a 5th from us. SJ wont be bringing in anything more than a 4th.
    A team with Superbowl aspirations would pay more. Vikings gave up a 3rd for Randy Moss two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Different situation. Lloyd was as good as gone, so the Broncos had to get whatever they could to avoid losing him for nothing. Jackson, on the other hand, could very well be back with the Rams next year, so a team that wants him now will have to offer more.

As for whether the Rams would get a third or fourth round pick, I'd say it depends on how desperate a team is for his services. If a team like the Packers think that Jackson could be the difference between an early exit from the playoffs of a Super Bowl, a (late) third round pick would be a bargain.

Of course, I stand by my belief that the Rams probably won't make any notable trades.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The Rams have already said they will let Jackson exercise his option to void the last year of his contract. Exceptionally unlikely he's coming back.

He, Brandon Gibson and Fletcher are possible moves. Gibson is a free agent next season.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -10-22-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast