Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Report: SJAX want's new contract, may be traded!

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Re: Report: SJAX want's new contract, may be traded!

Dont buy it for a second

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

"He's coached some unbelievable running backs. Guys have had a lot of success in this offense under his leadership. So I'm looking forward to the challenge.
    And hopefully over the next few years while we're together I can put my name up there with some of the other guys that have played for him."

-
    Steven Jackson on Jeff Fisher

So why would Jackson say at the beginning of training camp that he cant wait to work with this staff and that he wants to work with them for "the next few years", then 3 days before the draft leak info that he is unhappy with his current situation. All the while Lombardi gives no mention of the link between his "source" and Steven Jackson or the Rams.

this sh*t is BS

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

The same Michael Lombardi who swore Fisher would coach Miami?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    LOL!!! Right on.

One thing is that Jax may want a new contract, another -- quite different -- is that he'd be in line for a trade, especially at this point, on the eve of the 2012 NFL Dday.

Possible, sure.

Unlikely, more sure.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-24-2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Add on

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Its funny, on NFL.com now, the article by Lombardi doesn't mention anything about a possible trade of Jackson, only a that given that SJax wants a new contract it could make sense to trade up to the #4 or #5 to grab TRich.

I seriously doubt SJax wants a new contract now, with 2 years still left on his contract where he is making great money. I could possibly see next year, him wanting to restructure to lengthin his contract a few more years. But who knows. i Still dont buy into Lombardi's pre draft mumbo jumbo junk.

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

As desperate as the Vikings are to trade their pick, I wouldn't be surprised if this is BS. Everything that's unconfirmed from now until the Draft has to be questioned, teams are throwing everything out there to cloud-up the waters. The Vikings aren't picking TR (unless it's an agreed trade) at the 3rd pick, but they can certainly make teams second guess their own upcoming options and who is available. The Browns shouldn't be concerned, they aren't trading up one spot. Neither are the Bucs, it's a moot point anyways, the Rams are in a no-lose position at the 6 spot. TR is gone by the 4th pick at the latest, and the Vikings need to take their Tackle at number 3 and look toward their next round pick.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

From 101SPORTS.com:

I love a good conspiracy theory. I don’t believe them all, but I sure like to mull them over.
    I’ve got one. The Minnesota Vikings are floating the rumor around that Steven Jackson wants a pay raise to trick the St. Louis Rams into trading up to the third pick.

Rather than deal with an unhappy and aging Jackson, the Rams might want to ensure they can get running back Trent Richardson in the first round. It would cost the Rams a pick or two, but Richardson is by far the best back in the upcoming NFL draft.

I doubt that Jackson is demanding a raise over his $7 million annual salary in 2012 and 2013. If he is, the Rams would be crazy to give in.

Mike Lombardi of the NFL Network said Monday on The B.S. Report with Bill Simmons that Jackson wants more cash and could possibly be traded during draft weekend.

“The problem with Steven Jackson is he wants to redo his contract,” Lombardi said. “He's not happy where he is.”

Just last week Jackson said he would have no problem with the Rams drafting Richardson. His comment doesn’t mean that he suddenly wanted a pay raise because of the Richardson talk.

But why now? Is he trying to send the Rams a message about “playing” time as much as he is about “paying” time? Maybe he just wants to remind the Rams he’s the man; not a rookie out of Alabama who is coming off minor knee surgery.

I hope the Rams pick Richardson – at No. 6 if he’s still there. Don’t trade up, that’s a mistake.

I also hope the Rams don’t trade Jackson. If he wants a raise that badly, then he should hold out this summer or next.

Jackson missed one game and was far from 100 percent in several others because of a leg injury on his first carry from scrimmage in 2011. He carried the ball just 260 times, his lowest total since 2007 and 2008 when he played in only 12 games, respectively.

Jackson’s tank isn’t empty, but it’s on the last quarter. I could see why the Rams are considering a new car.

But I don’t think it’s time to trade in Jackson like an old clunker. Jackson also has to realize that he simply isn’t worth more than the $7 million he will make over the next two years.

I also think that this story has roots in Minnesota and could all be fabricated. The Rams host the Vikings on Dec. 16 – but somebody could already be playing games.

______________________________________________________________________________

Jackson has been the consummate professional for years now. This "report" has to be bogus.
    HUbison likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) concerning this report. However, I will unequivocally state the following:

1) Under no circumstances are the Rams going to trade back up to #3 after dropping from the #2 spot. Makes zero sense.

2)The Rams ARE NOT going to give Steven Jackson a new deal that is financially more lucrative than the one he currently has. Doing this for a player with maybe two real good years left is bad business.

3)Taking Richardson is a distinct possibility, as is the possibility of him dropping to #6. We've seen a lot of unpredictable, strange things happen in the draft over the years, and this is not far-fetched. And although I want Blackmon with our 1st round pick, I'll hardly be disappointed if Richardson is the pick. We need a dynamic offensive player.

Can't wait 'till Thursday.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -04-24-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    HUbison and laram0 like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's Mike Lombardi's follow-up article (slightly annotated version):

Rams RB Steven Jackson unhappy with contract, wants new deal
    By Michael Lombardi

St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson is unhappy with his contract and would like to renegotiate it, a league source said Monday. (Oh, crap... I didn't realize how many people would quote my off-the-cuff BS comment about Jackson. I better come up with a basis for my statement. I know! I'll use the old "league source" technique!)

Jackson signed a six-year, $44.8 million deal in 2008 and is scheduled to receive $7 million in base salary in 2012 and 2013. (Man, that is a big contract. I wish I had looked that up before I mouthed off.)

Given Jackson's dissatisfaction (If I keep saying it, maybe people will believe its true), it might make sense for the Rams to try to select a running back, such as Alabama's Trent Richardson, in this week's NFL draft.
    The Rams currently have the No. 6 overall pick but could try to trade up for Richardson, whom some link to the Cleveland Browns (No. 4) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (No. 5).

Jackson said in a recent interview with KFXX-AM in Portland (via SportsRadioInterviews.com) that while he knows the Rams will draft the "best available" player, he'd like to see the team add a receiver who can stretch the field. (So, he didn't say a word about his contract. Hopefully people won't notice.)
    "Me personally, I think that's the way we should go in the first round ... adding some more tools and talent around (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) so he can definitely show his ability to be an elite quarterback," Jackson said.

Jackson told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch last week that he isn't concerned about the chance the Rams could draft a running back. (Hmmm.... that's also inconsistent with my premise. Hope nobody makes that connection.)

"The Rams are going to do what's best for the Rams," Jackson said. "I understand that. It's a business."
    Jackson, 28, rushed for 1,145 yards and five touchdowns last season, his eighth in the NFL. The Rams made Jackson the 24th overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, and he went on to make the Pro Bowl three times. He has 9,093 rushing yards and 52 touchdowns in his career. (Man, I really stepped into it this time. I hope this blows over before people realize that I just make stuff up to sound like I have sources. Geez, I really need to reevaluate my life.)
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm buying in that this is the Vikes trying to get the Browns thinking the Rams may move up. The Vikes want Kalil but they would also would like another pick and Kalil.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    That's a great point. I looked that up, and found that on January 12, it was reported as follows:

Dolphins optimism rose early in the day when NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi, quoting sources close to Fisher, said “it appears he will choose the Fins. Fisher wants no part of a potential relocation and feels more comfortable with the structure in place in Miami than St. Louis.”
    Notice the similarity. Quoting unnamed sources... Attributing his own rationale to Fisher...

Lombardi is now at the top of my Media S#!% List!

THOLTFAN81 likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What makes you think it would be that easy? If I'm Cleveland, before I give up the chance to take TRich, I'd ask for a heck of a lot more than a 2nd round pick.
    Our 2nds are #'s 33 and 39. We're only moving from 6 to 4. I don't know the numbers, but if you add the points for #'s 6 and 33, I'll bet it's more than a #4.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Our 2nds are #'s 33 and 39. We're only moving from 6 to 4. I don't know the numbers, but if you add the points for #'s 6 and 33, I'll bet it's more than a #4.
    That doesn't matter. What the Rams received in exchange for moving from #2 to #6 is WAY MORE than the Trade Value Chart calls for. If the Rams want to move back to #3, they'd probably have to offer one of their future first round picks, which I think would be way too steep a price.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That doesn't matter. What the Rams received in exchange for moving from #2 to #6 is WAY MORE than the Trade Value Chart calls for. If the Rams want to move back to #3, they'd probably have to offer one of their future first round picks, which I think would be way too steep a price.
    That was a QB thing - apples and oranges, and the Vikings are not taking TR, so the 3rd pick is not in play.

If your point is Cleveland REALLY wants TR, and would ask a ton, I'll concede that, but I still feel Cleveland has a lot of holes, and a #6 and #33 would be worth (thinking about) their #4.

I'll be thrilled with Blackmon, however. As far as the report goes, draft week forum fodder, but interesting, BS or not.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

berg8309 is offline Registered User

My sources tell me Jackson is VERY unhappy with his contract. He believes that he is taking up too much cap space, and has already made more money than he can spend in his lifetime, and want to restructure to help the team acquire more players.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast