Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Resourceful Long provides Rams with intriguing options

By Jim Thomas for PFW
    June 11, 2008

ST. LOUIS — It basically was love at first sight when St. Louis management and Rams head coach Scott Linehan met Virginia DE Chris Long at the NFL Scouting Combine, and then at Long’s pro day shortly thereafter.

Funny, the Rams’ scouting department felt the same way about LSU DT Glenn Dorsey.

Near the end of a long, meticulous and expensive player evaluation process, the Rams had Dorsey clearly rated as the top player on their board.

Then, less than 48 hours before the draft, some mysterious “tweaking” occurred on the draft board. Depending on whom you talk to, Dorsey ended up rated either slightly ahead of Long or dead even with Long, once the “tweaking” had taken place.

Perhaps this was done to help justify the pick, because the Rams ended up selecting Long at the No. 2 overall slot in the draft, passing on Dorsey.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Jim Thomas for PFW
    June 11, 2008

ST. LOUIS — It basically was love at first sight when St. Louis management and Rams head coach Scott Linehan met Virginia DE Chris Long at the NFL Scouting Combine, and then at Long’s pro day shortly thereafter.

Funny, the Rams’ scouting department felt the same way about LSU DT Glenn Dorsey.

Near the end of a long, meticulous and expensive player evaluation process, the Rams had Dorsey clearly rated as the top player on their board.

Then, less than 48 hours before the draft, some mysterious “tweaking” occurred on the draft board. Depending on whom you talk to, Dorsey ended up rated either slightly ahead of Long or dead even with Long, once the “tweaking” had taken place.

Perhaps this was done to help justify the pick, because the Rams ended up selecting Long at the No. 2 overall slot in the draft, passing on Dorsey.
    I'm getting tired of Scoot Linehan's "love at first sight" method of Advanced Collegiate Player Analysis. His penchant for developing "man-crushes" like he did last year with Brian Leonard have hurt this team enough. Now this year it is Chris Long. So who is Scoot gonna fall all over next year? (um...please don't answer as I can't take it anymore.) Look how about next year when the draft is approaching, we send Scoot away WITH HIS WIFE on an all-expenses paid second honeymoon to say Guam or something. That way Billy and the boys and do their jobs without any fawning (or love letters) from Scoot regarding his newest love interest.

WHAT SAY YE?

DieHard23 is offline Registered User

Question Re: Resourceful Long provides Rams with intriguing options

Why doesnt this thread have anything to do with the title?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Resourceful Long provides Rams with intriguing options

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard23 View Post
    Why doesnt this thread have anything to do with the title?
    Now that you mention it, the article itself reveals nothing about the "intriguing options" ..

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Now that you mention it, the article itself reveals nothing about the "intriguing options" ..
    Ya know, Maui, in my rant about Linehan's scouting methods I completely forgot about the topic that this article was supposed to address. So just how is C. Long allegedly "resourceful"? I find it odd that this skill is attributed already to an unsigned rookie that has competed, at this point, in several OTA's only. You don't think that maybe Scoot is sending this info to the beat writers to boost his latest "love" do you?

WHAT SAY YE?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

His recourcefullnes is what's been stated here ad nauseum.....he can play DE in a 4-3 or LB in a 3-4......which anymore is just about any DE drafted.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

This was Linehan's pick. It could very well get people angry seeing as he may not even be here a year from now, thus why their careers will be tied until one of them busts or one emerges as clearly the better player. Very sad...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Probably the reason why the title doesn't make sense is because it's not the whole story...

Quote Originally Posted by PFW

Long clearly fits a greater need. The Rams got only 5½ sacks from their entire DE corps last season. And the team’s veteran starting left end, former Pro Bowler Leonard Little, is coming off toe surgery and turns 34 in October.

But the team hardly is swimming in defensive tackles, either. Adam Carriker and Clifton Ryan are coming off promising rookie years, but La’Roi Glover is nearing the end of his career and 2006 draft pick Claude Wroten is shaping up as a bust.

So time will tell if the Rams made the right move in selecting Long, or goofed in passing on a potential great one in Dorsey.

It won’t be tough for Rams fans to keep track of Dorsey, because he’ll be playing right down Interstate 70 for the Show-Me State’s western NFL outpost, the Kansas City Chiefs.

Straight-shooting Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett knows Long will improve a St. Louis defense that finished 20th in run defense and 21st against the pass. But he also concedes that Dorsey just might be the next Warren Sapp.

“I love Dorsey,” Haslett said. “I think he’s a monster inside. He’s one of those guys that come along about once every 10 years. But to find defensive ends in this league that are effective and can do a lot of things — they’re hard to find. Chris kind of falls into that category.”

Long steps in immediately as the Rams’ starting right end in their 4-3 base defense. But Haslett’s complex scheme uses multiple fronts, and Long has the versatility to be used in a variety of ways once he settles in.

“Remember, he was in a 3-4 his whole career (at Virginia), and he’s lining up over a tackle,” Haslett said. “Now we’re going to have to move him outside and line him up over a tight end and in space. So it’s a little bit of a learning curve. But from what I know of him, and how smart he is … I don’t think it’ll be a big transition going from a 3-4 to a 4-3.”

Long’s sack total last season (14) at Virginia is impressive considering he played mainly over offensive tackles in the 3-4. Although not what you would call a natural pass rusher, the Rams are hopeful he can be just as effective playing more on the edge in a 4-3 scheme.

As a pass rusher, Haslett described Long as “a slip-and-slide guy. A guy that can turn the corner. He has great vision on the quarterback and can come back inside. He has great moves turning the corner.”

But Haslett still runs a lot of 3-4 fronts in passing situations, which should be a natural for Long. Long also dropped into coverage occasionally at Virginia. And he might flip sides with Little from time to time or be used as a stand-up end (almost like a rush linebacker).

“He can do a lot of different things for you,” Haslett said. “He’s a better fit for teams like us, Baltimore, Pittsburgh. Teams that do a lot of different things than just a straight 4-3 where you’re going to sit there and rush him all day.”

Around Rams Park, Long has been called a more athletic Grant Wistrom. The now-retired Wistrom, a No. 6 overall pick in 1998, was a starter for two Super Bowl teams in St. Louis. Long also has been compared to Seattle’s Patrick Kerney — a fellow Virginia product — because of his relentless, nonstop style of play.

An underrated part of Long’s game, probably because of his average size for the position (6-3, 279), is his run defense.

“I think he’s very good in run defense,” Haslett said. “He does a great job in hand placement and getting off blocks. He looks like his father from that standpoint. You can tell his dad coached him when he was young because he’s got the Howie moves.”

Long’s father, of course, is Pro Football Hall of Famer Howie Long, who also was coached by Haslett at the end of his NFL career.

While respectful of his father’s accomplishments as a player and grateful for his help over the years, Chris Long is trying to make his own name as he embarks on his pro career.

Jersey No. 75, which was Howie’s number with the Oakland Raiders, was available for Long in St. Louis. In fact, the Rams had just such a jersey ready for Long at his introductory press conference in St. Louis the day after he was drafted.

But Long figures it’s tough enough to try to follow in his father’s footsteps without the added pressure of wearing his jersey number.

“I think that I’m cool with the pressure,” Long said. “But there’s no need to shovel it on myself.”

Then again, he selected jersey No. 72, which was Dorsey’s number at LSU. But that’s an entirely different kind of pressure — one that Long won’t be able to avoid in St. Louis, either.

Take it from Billy Devaney, the Rams’ executive vice president of player personnel: “We really expect big things of him as a pass rusher.”

Jim Thomas covers the Rams for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    His recourcefullnes is what's been stated here ad nauseum.....he can play DE in a 4-3 or LB in a 3-4......which anymore is just about any DE drafted.
    I thought it was his pedigree, technique, well-roundedness, motor, good character, and surprising senior year production despite constant double teams that had been touted ad nauseum. But sure, resourcefulness is good, too.

skelley is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I'm getting tired of Scoot Linehan's "love at first sight" method of Advanced Collegiate Player Analysis. His penchant for developing "man-crushes" like he did last year with Brian Leonard have hurt this team enough. Now this year it is Chris Long. So who is Scoot gonna fall all over next year? (um...please don't answer as I can't take it anymore.) Look how about next year when the draft is approaching, we send Scoot away WITH HIS WIFE on an all-expenses paid second honeymoon to say Guam or something. That way Billy and the boys and do their jobs without any fawning (or love letters) from Scoot regarding his newest love interest.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I think it's quite an assumption to think Scott will be around next year.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

“I love Dorsey,” Haslett said. “I think he’s a monster inside. He’s one of those guys that come along about once every 10 years. But to find defensive ends in this league that are effective and can do a lot of things — they’re hard to find. Chris kind of falls into that category.”
    I'm sorry but when your defensive coordinator says that about the #2 overall pick and he's on the defensive side, it's really hard for me to get excited. I mean, I am pumped to see Chris play but when I read things like that it just makes me get those feelings deep down inside again that I had prior to draft day.

Truth is offline Registered User

Wow, have we already given up on Long? Has Dorsey played some Pro games that I'm unaware of? Can we at least wait and see how these guys perform when it counts before we discard or idolize?!? Ryan Lief was high on a lot of draft boards at one point too.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

according to the excuses given as to why dorsey was passed up was his health, injury prone. he was too risky and long was suppose to be the "safe pick." if dorsey goes on to be the next lawrence taylor i'm gonna be pissed!. let's keep our fingers crossed and hope long pays rich dividends.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Damn. Trust the damn damn PFW. This is possibly the greatest puff piece in the history of puff pieces. Allow me to break it down?

Quote Originally Posted by pfw
    It basically was love at first sight when St. Louis management and Rams head coach Scott Linehan met Virginia DE Chris Long at the NFL Scouting Combine, and then at Long’s pro day shortly thereafter.

Mere hyperbole and speculation. Surely, love at first sight, in the business world of commercial football does not exist. You draft the player who is best equipped to help the franchise. That, no matter which way you look at it, was not Dorsey. How in the world do they know the coaching staff "fell in love at first sight" anyway? Love at first sight? Let's try an arduous scouting process that began long before last season finished. PFW, I hate to break it to you, but it unfortunately wasn't the all too common occurrence you hear about over on the planet of puppies, candy and ponies.

Contradiction #1. Was it not "love at first sight" a mere paragraph ago?
    More unjustified speculation. Who is gullible enough to believe that the Rams would leak their board to anyone, let alone a journalist with access to an international football resource (if you can call it that) website?

Unfounded rumour. Somebody find me a quote not from a beat-writer or NFL journalist that suggests this.

Note the speculative word choice of "perhaps", designed to incite subconscious curiosity as to why exactly we made such a stupid decision.
    Long clearly fits a greater need. The Rams got only 5½ sacks from their entire DE corps last season. And the team’s veteran starting left end, former Pro Bowler Leonard Little, is coming off toe surgery and turns 34 in October.
    Statistics to support the Long pick. Note the optimism of Long filling the "greater need" shrouded in the pessimism of "only 5 and 1/2 sacks from their entire DE corps", "former Pro Bowler" and "turns 34 in October"

But the team hardly is swimming in defensive tackles, either. Adam Carriker and Clifton Ryan are coming off promising rookie years, but La’Roi Glover is nearing the end of his career and 2006 draft pick Claude Wroten is shaping up as a bust.
    Shrewd misappropriation and distortion of fact. Carriker and Ryan did indeed have promising years, but is Glover, the DL's leading sack artist from last season really about to kick the bucket? If you;ve read anything else the PFW have written this offseason, you'd also note contradiction #2. See the article from pre-draft about the great offseason Wroten has been having at Rams park, and how he's looking to reform his career.
    So time will tell if the Rams made the right move in selecting Long, or goofed in passing on a potential great one in Dorsey.
    Juxtaposition of colloquialism and formal tone to create plausibility. Note how Long is not characterized, and the rams made "the right move" and Dorsey is formally touted "a potential great". Note: It becomes clear around here that the intention of the PFW in this interest is to create negativity- confusion, toward the selection of Long in comparison to the selection of Dorsey.

But here's the catch-

The Falcons could have more than used Dorsey. They didn't pick him.
    The Raiders could've used Dorsey. They didn't pick him.

Does a potential great slide past 3 teams with substantial need? (I doubt that the Rams have substantial needs, but for the intents and purposes of what the PFW wants you to believe this is the case)

Straight-shooting Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett knows Long will improve a St. Louis defense that finished 20th in run defense and 21st against the pass. But he also concedes that Dorsey just might be the next Warren Sapp.

Nothing like a quote taken out of context to back up an argument that doesn't exist without it. Where does Haslett say "Warren Sapp"? What's also important to consider is just how a Warren Sapp would fare splitting time with the 4 DT's we presently have, all of whom saw a significant part of the DT rotation last season.

The arguments comparing Long and Dorsey cease here. But finally...
    We really expect big things of him as a pass rusher.”
    A quote about heightened expectations to lower yours, you now being informed that the coaching staff, truly, is inferior, and should've picked Dorsey, who clearly will have the greater impact because the PFW manipulated their language and imagery to tell you what to think... What's sad is that there are a few adamant believers already running their respective mouth's about Linehan's idiocy, professing it like it's some sort of original thought received via epiphany from the football Gods.

So consider this: It's an issue that's arisen long before the Dorsey debate, and even predates the NFL draft. This, taken from Mark Twain's 1901 text, "The Battle Hymn of the Republic, Updated".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    I have read his bandit gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:
    "As ye deal with my pretensions, so with you my wrath shall deal;
    Let the faithless son of Freedom crush the patriot with his heel;
    Lo, Greed is marching on!
    This, a take on imperialism and the invasion of the Philippines, and a parody of the use of the Battle Hymn of the Republic to rouse public support to protect the freedom and lifestyle being threatened by the aforementioned. Twain suggests that the Government were using this ploy, as well as the original anthem, to disguise the "real" truth of the invasion:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    "In a sordid slime harmonious Greed was born in yonder ditch,
    With a longing in his bosom—and for others' goods an itch.
    As Christ died to make men holy, let men die to make us rich
    Our god is marching on".
    The bottom line? Don't believe the truth.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Damn. Trust the damn damn PFW. This is possibly the greatest puff piece in the history of puff pieces. Allow me to break it down?

The bottom line? Don't believe the truth.
    Thank you Bar-bq for saving me the time. Calling it a puff piece is generous. That article is a piece of crap. Grrrrrrrr. How long are these 'reporters' going to gnash over their own mistakes. They picked Dorsey while the Ram's picked Long; this is just sour grapes. I know the off-season is slow, but so-called sports 'journalist' get away with 'reporting' 'facts' that would not have made it into my High-school newspaper. Seriously. Jim Thomas is a joke, while Bernie is a parody of a professional journalist.

Long was a top-rated player pre-draft, and I am happy he is a Ram.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

well shoot, here I had already marked a few great passages from literary masters, numerous confucious quotes, and had just nearly completed my 4 page saga on how this so called article has ruined perfectly good kb's on all of our computers, but alas, Bar-bq has beaten me to it. thanks a lot man.... thanks a lot..... you are the king!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast