Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

The results are in.

Incognito was a steal in the draft and was worth the wait. Spoon was a great FA pick up. Hill can play at this level and should be a very good CB for us in the future. Glover looks to be done as a consistent force. Kennedy is not going to be the answer. Kicker re-turner and punt re-turner still needed.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: The results are in.

so are you trying to say we need to draft yet another defensive tackle that will probally end up turning out to be a bust as well..

I canít see them both starting next year something has to change. FA or draft, I would think FA over draft based on the fact it takes about three years to play DT well. We need help yesterday.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Incognito was a steal in the draft and was worth the wait. Spoon was a great FA pick up. Hill can play at this level and should be a very good CB for us in the future. Glover looks to be done as a consistent force. Kennedy is not going to be the answer. Kicker re-turner and punt re-turner still needed.
    I would like to see the Rams give Kevin Curtis the chance this off season to fill the KR position.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Yeah that's pretty much right. I would add that Setterstrom looks like a steal too (it's early to say I know, but he was drafted so low that even now he is definitely way way above what you'd expect on average).

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Well said.

And, I think that we need to give the FO some credit for the changes. I've been a fan for a long time, and there was a time (90s), when the FO didn't even seem to try. Now, since Martz's days, they really look like they are trying. Even with the DT debacle, they made a great attempt in drafting DTs. I think bad luck stung us there.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I would like to see the Rams give Kevin Curtis the chance this off season to fill the KR position.
    I would want to give Steven Jackson a chance at that too. Because Jackson reminds me of Laurence Maroney of the pats and. Maroney is actaully doing a very good job for the Patriots, maroney looks almost the same as jackson, they are about the same size. Steven weighs about 230 and Maroney about 220. New England has the best return average at 26.1 yds per return

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever View Post
    I would want to give Steven Jackson a chance at that too. Because Jackson reminds me of Laurence Maroney of the pats and. Maroney is actaully doing a very good job for the Patriots, maroney looks almost the same as jackson, they are about the same size. Steven weighs about 230 and Maroney about 220. New England has the best return average at 26.1 yds per return
    But since jackson is our main running back, you wouldn't want him to return kicks as well... yes maroney does return kicks but he shares pretty much half the carries with corey dillion... I would rather see the rams gives marques hagans or bring in someone like a allan rossum/terrence wilkins/devin hester type of returner

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think we will be looking at a new MLB, a new interior DL, a new DE, one new safety and a new OG

Spoon will move to the outside, and someone else will slot in the middle maybe, probably a rookie. Interior DL might come from FA.

Id like to see us draft a MLB and DE on the first day of the draft. Haslett is good at drafting DEs, so hopefully he could get someone in to play immediately.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Glover looks to be done as a consistent force. Kennedy is not going to be the answer.
    Just to make sure I'm reading correctly, we are all aware that Glover and Kennedy play two different positions, right? Yes, they're both DT's, but that's like saying Jackson and Hedgecock are both RB's. Glover is a 3-technique or UT, where Kennedy is a NT. There are some defenses where the DTs are interchangeable, but this isn't one of them. So comparing Kennedy's play with Glover's play is like comparing the TB with the FB.....it's two different assignments.

Having said all that, before I fell off the map (have yet to see a game since going on my extended business trip) Kennedy was playing just fine. He was occupying blockers and penetrating more often than most NTs. So unless he has devolved in the past three weeks, I'm not sure why Kennedy is the target at this time.

But like I said, I haven't seen a game in three weeks.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Witherspoon's success at MLB suggests to me that Kennedy might not be the problem. If Kennedy was not doing his job, Witherspoon, as a smallish MLB, would be getting eclipsed by O linemen.

Frankly, I think the problem lies with the play of Glover, Chillar and Chavous more so than Kennedy.

Just to make sure I'm reading correctly, we are all aware that Glover and Kennedy play two different positions, right?
    Yeah Iím aware of that, I think they both have to go at this point. The D line is getting gash and is not getting pressure. Little is having a great year in fact he is getting a lot of attention, which should free up someone else.

Witherspoon's success at MLB suggests to me that Kennedy might not be the problem. If Kennedy was not doing his job, Witherspoon, as a smallish MLB, would be getting eclipsed by O linemen.
    At the start of the year, we all knew Kennedyís play was going to be hugh as far as our success. I just donít see the D line have any success, when we are giving up 170+ or so a game. I know itís not all on the D line but we need to make tackles up front period.

Here are some numbers:

Ryan Pickett 45 total tackles
    Kelly Gregg 48 total tackles

Jimmy Kennedy 28 total tackles
    La'Roi Glover 26 total tackles

One guy is almost making as many plays as both these guys. We need to get more production.

I also would like to see Spoon moved outside and get a bigger MLB. Spoon has played well, just think we could use some size and Iím not sold on chillar.

Corey Chavous is the second leading tackler on the team with 57.

We have to do something, I was not a big Pickett fan but we would be better off with him. Arch not so much.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You won't get any argument from me on Pickett. I thought it was a mistake to let him go. Don't even get GC started on that topic!

letting brian young and bryce fisher were the mistakes the rams made 2 years ago... they didnt have all the talents in the world but at the contracts they got and they speed and determination they brought to the team, they were gamers..

general counsel is offline Registered User

We didnt really "let" fischer go. He left to be home and took less to do it. I agree that he was a steal in free agency and that we have really missed him, especially in the context of the hargrove debacle.

As for pickett, good point by the bison, dont get me started, it was a terrible decision to let him go. We were dead last against the run last year and we let the guy leave who led the entire nfc in tackles at his position. Brilliant!

As for drafting a defensive tackle, i dont see it in round one. These guys take time to develop. Wroten was an excellent pick, its much to soon to say that he isnt the answer to step in for glover. As for kennedy, i really dont know what to say, but i dont think he is doing a great job. Its hard to tell since at his position, he is supposed to occupy blockers, but i see guys running straight up the middle on us over and over.

How did we let pickett go? People say "he had one good year" I dont even believe that. He had one SUPERSTAR year and at least the prior year was pretty good. ITs hard to look good when the rest of the defense around you stinks. People never seem to remember that he was drafted as a project a year early.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast