r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Returning Is No Snap For Bulger/Notes & Quotes

09.07.2009 3:35 pm
    Returning is no snap for Bulger
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The earliest that St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger will line up under center and take a snap is Wednesday — just four days prior to the regular-season opener in Seattle. Bulger broke the pinky finger on his right hand three weeks ago on an ill-timed snap.

Bulger again took snaps in the shotgun formation at practice Monday. The players are off Tuesday.

“It’ll be another 48 hours before we practice again, and the hope is he’ll be able to do it on Wednesday. But we’ll wait and see how he feels Wednesday morning,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “At some point, we’ve got to test it and see how it feels to Marc, and then go from there.”

Notes & quotes:

*RB Samkon Gado (ribs), G Richie Incognito (knee), FB Mike Karney (knee) and DE Leonard Little (knee) returned to practice Monday.

*A pin was inserted into G John Greco’s wrist during surgery over the weekend. He’s expected to be out 2 to 3 weeks.

*LB Larry Grant (knee) sat out and won’t play Sunday, Spagnuolo said. S Craig Dahl (hamstring) was limited.

*Rookie T Jason Smith worked with the first team, but Spagnuolo insisted no decision has been made on who will line up where Sunday on the o-line.

*Newly acquired S Anthony Smith said he was surprised when the Packers released him Saturday. “I thought I performed really well. I had two interceptions, a couple of sacks,” he said. “I guess Ted (Thompson, the Packers GM) had a different opinion.”

All for now. . .

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Re: Returning Is No Snap For Bulger/Notes & Quotes

Glad J. Smith is getting some work with the first team. If he does start, they'll need to gel fast. I wish they'd made a decision by now, but I trust they know what they're doing.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i think they should sit Bulger out against Seattle and start Boller..just seems too many question marks against him with the injury,the fact he has hardly played in our new offense during the pre-season and not played in it atall in the past..has not had enough oppurtunity to get a good chemistry going with Jason Brown.. Boller has had more reps in this new offense,has played a lot more minutes of real game time with Brown and isnt gonna play whilst hurt... Bulger when healthy may be better than Boller...but its hardly like Sorgi coming in for Manning...

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i think they should sit Bulger out against Seattle and start Boller..just seems too many question marks against him with the injury,the fact he has hardly played in our new offense during the pre-season and not played in it atall in the past..has not had enough oppurtunity to get a good chemistry going with Jason Brown.. Boller has had more reps in this new offense,has played a lot more minutes of real game time with Brown and isnt gonna play whilst hurt... Bulger when healthy may be better than Boller...but its hardly like Sorgi coming in for Manning...
    Spags has said from day one that playtime has to be earned. If Boller's preseason play has earned him the right to start against Seattle then i think we've got plenty to worry about. I don't mean to poke at you but what did you see in the preseason from Boller that suggest he'll be a better chance for us in the win column. Every preseason game he started we were behind and started off slow until Berlin and Null came into sweep up the mess. Bulger's 1st and only preseason game this summer got hammered and still looked more accurate with his throws when he had time. If Spags plugs Boller in against Seattle then for sure the better man will be in the game and that to me is whats scary. It won't be because Boller is the better QB, it just means that Bulger's finger isn't completely healed for game time, and that Boller has been the projected backup since he was acquired. I want Bulger back when he is pain free don't get me wrong but, i just don't think we'll have a good offense with Boller directing it.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    I don't mean to poke at you but what did you see in the preseason from Boller that suggest he'll be a better chance for us in the win column.
    What did you see from Bulger while he was sitting on the bench for the last 3 weeks?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Bulger and Brown have been taking snaps together since the beginning of the offseason. Three weeks away does nothing to mean that Boller has more reps than Bulger had. He's had more recent snaps, yes, but not more. Further, I agree with Guam, what has Boller shown to suggest that he's a better quarterback than Bulger is, fully healed or not. The point is, this is just a pinky. Not a serious injury, and one that Bulger is ready to come back from, they're just being overly cautious.

The only question about the offense on Sunday is who will be starting at Right Tackle. If Smith is ready, I'm all for him getting the start, but if he's not ready I would much rather him start out on the bench and come in to sub.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Bulger and Brown have been taking snaps together since the beginning of the offseason. Three weeks away does nothing to mean that Boller has more reps than Bulger had. He's had more recent snaps, yes, but not more. Further, I agree with Guam, what has Boller shown to suggest that he's a better quarterback than Bulger is, fully healed or not. The point is, this is just a pinky. Not a serious injury, and one that Bulger is ready to come back from, they're just being overly cautious.
    With this argument, why play our starters at all in preseason if practice doesn't really matter? Heck, why even run practices a few weeks before the season starts and risk injuries if practice isn't really important?

Why is it that if Smith practices with the starters it's important but Bulger working with the starters isn't?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    Spags has said from day one that playtime has to be earned. If Boller's preseason play has earned him the right to start against Seattle then i think we've got plenty to worry about. I don't mean to poke at you but what did you see in the preseason from Boller that suggest he'll be a better chance for us in the win column. Every preseason game he started we were behind and started off slow until Berlin and Null came into sweep up the mess. Bulger's 1st and only preseason game this summer got hammered and still looked more accurate with his throws when he had time. If Spags plugs Boller in against Seattle then for sure the better man will be in the game and that to me is whats scary. It won't be because Boller is the better QB, it just means that Bulger's finger isn't completely healed for game time, and that Boller has been the projected backup since he was acquired. I want Bulger back when he is pain free don't get me wrong but, i just don't think we'll have a good offense with Boller directing it.
    Good points! As Shurmur has repeatedly stressed, accuracy is the key in this offense. Bulger is the perfect fit in that regard.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    With this argument, why play our starters at all in preseason if practice doesn't really matter? Heck, why even run practices a few weeks before the season starts and risk injuries if practice isn't really important?

Why is it that if Smith practices with the starters it's important but Bulger working with the starters isn't?
    Give the haters what they want, let Bulger sit. Then when we are down 24-0 and Boller has thrown 3 int's in the first half people will realize Boller is what he has always been,below average. Bulger should start and will start and gives us the best chance to win out of our 3 qb's. His finger will hurt but he is better hurt than Boller is healthy. Even Ryan Leaf managed to look good in pre-season.
    Last edited by rammiser; -09-09-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Just Fix It

TekeRam is offline Registered User

It is important that Bulger plays with the starters. It IS important that he gets reps, but he is getting reps now, just not from under center. Further, my point was in fact that it was very important that Bulger had gotten many more reps with the first team than Boller, because he'd been doing so all offseason. Just because he's gotten more reps recently, it doesn't mean that Boller is a better QB than Bulger and it doesn't mean he's more ready. He's just more ready to come in the 4th quarter when we're up 24-0.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i am NOT a "bulger hater"..jees. easy on the trigger ladies...i neither like nor dislike Bulger..when healthy he is our best option at QB,until someone better comes along..but if he`s not healthy id rather have someone in there who is ..

how does that make me a Bulger hater?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

So today is the day Bulger should be out on the practice field. I wonder how that is going. We really don't know who is going to start on Sunday yet. I have a feeling that we will be seeing Boller in the first game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i am NOT a "bulger hater"..jees. easy on the trigger ladies...i neither like nor dislike Bulger..when healthy he is our best option at QB,until someone better comes along..but if he`s not healthy id rather have someone in there who is ..

how does that make me a Bulger hater?
    Well Bulger has been throwing this week out of the shotgun. He also started taking snaps today from under center and so far it sounds like everything is fine. As for the hater comment I never said any names and didnt quote your post, so if it doesnt apply don't take offense to it.
    Just Fix It