Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Review

RockinRam is offline Registered User

In Review

Round 1: Sam Bradford (QB)

Analysis: Franchise QB. Has the skillset and intangibles to be the next Peyton Manning.

Grade: A+

Round 2: Roger Saffold (OT)

Analysis: At first, I was surprised about the pick, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. We need to protect our investment.

Saffold is a technically sound tackle who is great in pass protection, and is a tough drive blocker who gets to the second level quickly in the run game.

Grade: A

Round 3: Jerome Murphy (CB)

Analysis: I didn't really like this pick too much. It fills a hole, but there were a lot of other options we could have chose instead.

Murphy is a very physical corner who brings the wood, and has the skillset and mentality to be an elite press corner, ala Al Harris. He needs to be more discplined and refined though.

Grade: B-

Round 4: Mardy Gilyard (WR)

Analysis:
    Protect our investment. We give Bradford a dynamic WR who uses his quickness and elusiveness in the passing game as well as in the return game. He was projected as a Round 2-3 WR, but fortunately dropped to us at the top of the fourth.

Gilyard is a hard-worker, and a leader on the field. He needs to get better route-running, but that will come with practice and more coaching.

Round 5: Michael Hoomanawanui (TE)

Analysis: Not a huge fan of this pick, because we already have a blocker in Bajema.

But, unlike Bajema, Hoomana has the versatility to be a reliable target for Bradford. He is a possessive TE who is a brick wall to bring down.

He will open up huge lanes for Jackson alongside Karney and Bajema.

Grade: B

Round 5: Hall Davis (DE)

Analysis: We finally pick up a DE. I don't know why we prefer this guy over Austen Lane, but there may be something about him we don't know.

He will take a couple of years to develop into anything valuable to us.

One fact: He is an ex-basketball player who has good athleticism.

Grade: B

Round 6:
    Fenudi Onubon (TE)

Analysis: Love this pick. This guy is like an extremely poor man's Antonio Gates.

However, he is a phenom concerning his measureables (6'6, 265lbs. 4.45 40).

I think in a couple of years, he will be Bradford's best friend. The guy is very fast for a TE, and is has very high upside, and if developed correctly, and become a legit #1 TE who can be a big threat.

Round 6: Eugene Sims (DE)

Analysis: Know nothing about the guy, except that he has good length (6'6).

I don't like this pick at all. Should have traded up to get Johnathan Dwyer.

Grade: C

Round 7: Marquis Johnson (CB)

Analysis: Great pick. Johnson is raw, but has the ability and skillset to become a solid nickel or dime corner.

Grade: B+

Round 7: George Selvie (DE)

Analysis: Amazing pick, one of my favorites. George Selvie is very underrated. Was a phenom back in his sophomore year, before every team started double and triple teaming him to zone him out.

He made Jason Pierre Paul look better than he actually is, due to all the attention Selvie was getting from opposing offensive coordinators.

Grade: A+

Round 7: Josh Hull (LB)

Analysis: A good, solid pick.

Josh Hull is similar to Laurinaitis and Vobora. They aren't highly athletic, and not majorly fast.

Yet, they are all highly instinctive, have a good feel for the game, and are tackling machines.

Josh Hull can stack up well against the run game, and quickly diagnoses plays to wrap up tacklers at the point of attack. He is a blue collar LB who does what he needs to do, and gets the job done.

Hull will be a solid back-up, or maybe even a potential starter after Diggs leaves.

Grade: A-

Re: In Review

My view on the roster going into the 2010 season:

QB: Sam Bradford / A.J Feeley / Keith Null (I believe Bradford will beat out Feeley, and that he will make tremendous strides during training camp)

HB: Jackson / Ogbonaya / Darby

FB: Karney / Bajema

WR: Laurent Robinson / Mardy Gilyard / Danny Amendola

WR:
    Donnie Avery / Brandon Gibson / Brooks Foster

TE: Fells / Hoomanawanui / Onubon / Bajema

LT: Smith / Barron

LG: Bell / Fraley

C: Brown / Setterstrom

RG: Greco / Fraley

RT: Saffold / Barron

LE: Long / Hall / Davis

RE: Selvie / Hall / Davis

SLB: Diggs / Hull

MLB: Laurinaitis / Hull

WLB: Vobora / Hull

CB: Bartell / Murphy / King

CB:
    Fletcher / Johnson / Butler

FS: Atogwe

SS: Butler

K: Brown

P: Jones

LS: Massey

harrydog is offline Registered User

You really think Selvie will be starting?

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    You really think Selvie will be starting?

Yeah I do. He may trade off snaps with James Hall, but I do think he will be starting sometime next season. The guy is a beast. He just needs to bulk up a bit more.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Id say Hall starts just i agree i am a huge fan of selvie (have been for a couple years) i do think he will be the #3 De and will start if either long or hall goes down. I think we had a very productive draft. Only sidenote i am surprised we didnt go LB earlier, perhaps in the hall davis position.

True2daGame is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: In Review

I think murphy will get one of the two CB starting spots love this guy and his physical style of play just what we need!!!!!!!

AlwaysBackwards is offline Registered User

and don't forget the possibility of adding Brian Westbrook to back-up S-Jax!

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBackwards View Post
    and don't forget the possibility of adding Brian Westbrook to back-up S-Jax!
    Yep, I'm hoping we do add him. But as of right now, we haven't added him yet, and the possibility isn't 100%.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

I was also wondering about the 3rd pick, thinking we should have addressed either DE or a higher TE, hell even taking Dwyer in that round wouldve been good..but I like what I see in Murphy, he looks like he can lay it down. Im hoping to see Murphy and Butler/Dahl terrorize runners and receivers coming their way..

shower beers is offline Registered User

There were just a couple positions we would have addressed, DT and HB. Maybe replacing one of those DEs with a DT. I think we came out of the draft with a few underrated players though, and we'll be surprised.

I remember people feeling the same way they feel about Murphy this year as they did about Fletcher last year. Just give the guys some time to prove themselves.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

QB: Sam Bradford / A.J Feeley / Keith Null (I believe Bradford will beat out Feeley, and that he will make tremendous strides during training camp)

HB: Jackson / Ogbonaya / Darby

FB: Karney / Bajema

WR: Laurent Robinson / Mardy Gilyard / Danny Amendola

WR:
    Donnie Avery / Brandon Gibson / Brooks Foster

TE: Fells / Hoomanawanui / Onubon / Bajema

LE: Long / Hall / Davis

RE: Selvie / Hall / Davis

SLB: Diggs / Hull

MLB: Laurinaitis / Hull

WLB: Vobora / Hull

CB: Bartell / Murphy / King

CB:
    Fletcher / Johnson / Butler

FS: Atogwe

SS: Butler

K: Brown

P: Jones

LS: Massey

Just curious, you think we'll cut Keenan Burton?

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Alyhough I don't want him to leave I would be suprised if Atogwe is on the roster for next season

Pauly is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

Ok, first off hey everyone, I'm new here. In short: I'm a fairly young football fan, (since end of 2006), jumped on the pats bandwagon, but have been using strictly the Rams on madden for more then 2 years, and now I've fallen for the Rams. They are my true team, and what an exciting time to be a Rams fan.

Now what I was going to say: Isn't Saffold a LT, and potentially a LG? I've seen a ton of people wanting to throw Smith back at LT, and Saffold at RT, but to me this is a bad idea. Saffold is more of a finesse pass protector, and has been playing LT up to now, why not try him there?

So am I missing something? To me Smith makes a great RT, and Saffold makes a LT with great upside. Why flip-flop them? This question isn't just at you RockinRam, but to anyone who believes this, because I realize its a pretty popular idea right now on the forum.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Pauly; -04-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    Alyhough I don't want him to leave I would be suprised if Atogwe is on the roster for next season
    Since no one but the Rams can sign him now, why do you think we'll trade our best secondary player?
    I believe!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

That seems like a pretty optimistic assessment. Just about everyone gets an A or a B, and you've projected all but Sims making the final active roster. I'd be shocked if that were the case, even on a team as desperate for talent as we are.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but it's probable that at least half of these guys are depth players at best for us. Some people talk about coming out of this draft with 4-5 starters, and I wish I could go to the store and pick up the flavor of Kool-Aid they're drinking. And I say that as a guy who generally tries to put a positive spin on things.

But only about half of our 2008 draft picks have worked out (Long, Avery, Greco, Vobora) while the other have are either gone or on the roster bubble (King, Burton, Schuenning, Chamberlain). In 2009, we got starters in Smith and Laurinaitis, maybe a starter in Fletcher, but the other four picks are depth at best and most are likely playing for roster spots this summer.

Some people want to look at what we've done and see the best case scenario. Some people look and see the worst. I think the reality is somewhere in the middle.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast