Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Review

BEER is offline Registered User

Re: In Review

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Ok, first off hey everyone, I'm new here. In short: I'm a fairly young football fan, (since end of 2006), jumped on the pats bandwagon, but have been using strictly the Rams on madden for more then 2 years, and now I've fallen for the Rams. They are my true team, and what an exciting time to be a Rams fan.

Now what I was going to say: Isn't Saffold a LT, and potentially a LG? I've seen a ton of people wanting to throw Smith back at LT, and Saffold at RT, but to me this is a bad idea. Saffold is more of a finesse pass protector, and has been playing LT up to now, why not try him there?

So am I missing something? To me Smith makes a great RT, and Saffold makes a LT with great upside. Why flip-flop them? This question isn't just at you RockinRam, but to anyone who believes this, because I realize its a pretty popular idea right now on the forum.

Thanks guys
    You cant pay a first round, second pick overall, all that money to be a right tackle. He has to be the starting LT our he is a bust, at least money wise.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    You cant pay a first round, second pick overall, all that money to be a right tackle. He has to be the starting LT our he is a bust, at least money wise.
    if you pay the starting LT 2nd round money you can...playing Smith out of his best position would make him more of a bust (see Carriker) than him maximizing his skill set in a position that doesn`t traditionally get picked 2nd overall...

would Jackie Slater be considered a bust if we had taken him 2nd overall?

now i`m not saying that Smith would be playing out of position on the Left side..ultimately i think it will be Smith LT and Saffold RT (or OG) but if the qualified coaches believe Saffold should play LT and Smith RT..then that is all i need to know..not where each player was drafted or their salary.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -04-25-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added more to clarify my point.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    if you pay the starting LT 2nd round money you can...
    This could be problematic, especially if Saffold is put in at LT. We don't want any hold-outs but what if Saffold's representatives request more money than Smith is getting?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    This could be problematic, especially if Saffold is put in at LT. We don't want any hold-outs but what if Saffold's representatives request more money than Smith is getting?
    well he`ll sign a contract before he`s told where he`s goin` to play...if the Rams saw him as the future LT..(which i don`t personally think they do,but there is a chance..) they savvy enough to know not to mention that to Saffold or his agent.
    if he and his agent say to the Rams..you gonna play him LT,we want LT money..they can always point to Smith and say he is our franchise LT.

Pauly is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Ok, that makes sense. Football wise thou if Smith's a better player at RT then at LT I'm not sure I would want to see him forced over due to his salary and draft status.

I do hear the other side though, should be interesting to see how they handle this line situation. I trust they'll make it work

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

There are many things I want to address in this thread, so I will just avoid the quotes, and speak my mind.

First, the draft is an A+ to me. A+ to every player drafted because Devaney and Spags seem to have a plan, and they picked the player THEY THOUGHT was best at the time. For those clamoring for Griffin (medical issues, personality issues) and Dwyer (slow, overrated, one directional runner), there is a reason these high profile players fell so far. Look, you find starters in the first and second rounds of the draft. Sometimes you find these players in the third. Four round and beyond, you are looking for diamonds in the rough, and if you find even one or two, you are doing great. Just because a player put up big numbers in college doesn't mean he will in the pros, and vice versa.

As for the "blocking" TE we drafted, he played in an offense where they didn't throw him the ball often. All indications are he has pretty solid hands. If the blazer TE develops, it would be an incredible steal. As for George Selvie, he has all kinds of potential. Would have been a first round draft pick a couple years ago, the big concern now is scouts worry whether he can play LB or DE at the pro level. We will have to see.

As for Saffold, he is NOT an NFL LT. Forget about it. Could he fill in over there? Sure. But Saffold's value is in his ability to play RT and both guard positions. He does not have the feet to play LT.

I see it time and time again on the board. Those that think we are going to cut Burton, and keep Foster, or someone else. Burton was coming around last year with 15 catches in 3 games before going down with the injury. He arguably has the best hands on the squad and is a very reliable drag threat, slanting across the field. He showed some good moves last year out of the break. No way I think he gets cut unless his injury has hampered his physical abilities.

This was an exciting draft for us in my opinion. Franchise QB, versatile lineman that was a first round prospect, big physical corner, dynamic WR, a variety of TE's and DE's ...

And don't sleep on Marquis Johnson. He has the "IT" factor, and was Alabama's best DB this last season. Yes, even better than the first round kid.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    For those clamoring for Griffin (medical issues, personality issues) and Dwyer (slow, overrated, one directional runner), there is a reason these high profile players fell so far.
    Same could be said of George Selvie, but he gets an A+. When a guy slips and the Rams take him, the fan reaction is that it's a great pick and potential steal. When a guy slips and the Rams don't get him, "there's a reason he fell so far."

Not trying to single you out RI; this was a common argument over the three-day process in response to those who wanted a different player in a certain round. I understand people want to be optimistic about their picks, but there's a reason all of these guys are available where they are. I'm sure the Vikings and Steelers fans are pretty excited about where they got Griffen and Dwyer respectively, just like a lot of Rams fans are excited about Selvie.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That seems like a pretty optimistic assessment. Just about everyone gets an A or a B, and you've projected all but Sims making the final active roster. I'd be shocked if that were the case, even on a team as desperate for talent as we are.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but it's probable that at least half of these guys are depth players at best for us. Some people talk about coming out of this draft with 4-5 starters, and I wish I could go to the store and pick up the flavor of Kool-Aid they're drinking. And I say that as a guy who generally tries to put a positive spin on things.

But only about half of our 2008 draft picks have worked out (Long, Avery, Greco, Vobora) while the other have are either gone or on the roster bubble (King, Burton, Schuenning, Chamberlain). In 2009, we got starters in Smith and Laurinaitis, maybe a starter in Fletcher, but the other four picks are depth at best and most are likely playing for roster spots this summer.

Some people want to look at what we've done and see the best case scenario. Some people look and see the worst. I think the reality is somewhere in the middle.
    I see them making the roster because I think they are better than our current "depth" players.

Fletcher or Murphy is going to be the other starter opposite of Bartell.

Again, this draft class is the deepest in years, and players picked in the 4th round, normally would go around the 2nd-3rd round. Likewise, a player chosen in the 6th-7th round would probably be drafted somewhere in the 5th round.

I'm not saying Hoomana and Sims and Davis and Johnson will be stars, but I think they have the ability to be good contributors. They were drafted late due to this immense draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I see them making the roster because I think they are better than our current "depth" players.
    And like I said, I think you're being more optimistic than I would be. Our talent isn't great, but I don't think Onobun beats out Billy Bajema if they're both fighting for the third TE spot, and I doubt Davis beats out both Adeyanju and Ah You to become this team's fourth DE. The talent in this class was deep, sure. But that doesn't mean they're not going to be fighting an uphill battle to win a roster spot over established situational veterans, especially with how raw some of these guys are.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Whoever emerges, im happy, because the best guy is playing. I like the Geroge Selvie pick so much because it was had in the last round of the draft. I know there is a reason he fell but there is a reason we picked him as well. I understand he was suffering from constant double teams and some minor injuries that plagued him. Optimism at its finest, and since noone has a clue what a guy is going to do, i see no reason not to be optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    if you pay the starting LT 2nd round money you can...playing Smith out of his best position would make him more of a bust (see Carriker) than him maximizing his skill set in a position that doesn`t traditionally get picked 2nd overall...

would Jackie Slater be considered a bust if we had taken him 2nd overall?

now i`m not saying that Smith would be playing out of position on the Left side..ultimately i think it will be Smith LT and Saffold RT (or OG) but if the qualified coaches believe Saffold should play LT and Smith RT..then that is all i need to know..not where each player was drafted or their salary.
    Then draft a RIGHT TACKLE! 3rd round. Its about the money.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Same could be said of George Selvie, but he gets an A+. When a guy slips and the Rams take him, the fan reaction is that it's a great pick and potential steal. When a guy slips and the Rams don't get him, "there's a reason he fell so far."

Not trying to single you out RI; this was a common argument over the three-day process in response to those who wanted a different player in a certain round. I understand people want to be optimistic about their picks, but there's a reason all of these guys are available where they are. I'm sure the Vikings and Steelers fans are pretty excited about where they got Griffen and Dwyer respectively, just like a lot of Rams fans are excited about Selvie.
    Huge difference between Griffin and Dwyer, and Selvie. Griffin was a projected 2nd round pick. Dwyer was mid-round projection. Selvie was a late round projection, despite being first round material a couple years ago. Griffin was continually passed up by his OWN college coach, and apparently has injury issues and is a primadonna. Dwyer has a very doubtful NFL future because he just doesn't have the physical ability and skills required of an NFL running back. Selvie has uber potential, particularly if the coaching staff can mold him into either a LB or DE, each will require it's own special work.

Just about every analyst out there has clamored how great a value Gilyard and Selvie were. Also getting praise for drafting the athletically freakish TE has apparently was on everybodies radar in the 6th and 7th due to his freakish athletic ability. I've also read that Hall Davis could prove to be a steal if he can be coached up. It seems the Rams actually do some real research on these guys rather than just picking the player with the big name from the big school.

The point of the post was there is ZERO reason for me to grade the Rams draft and put a grade on each pick. I don't know the nitty gritty of what Spags and Devaney have planned, nor do I have the details and first hand knowledge of these players that they have. At the current point I trust them, so all the players they drafted are A+ for me. Just about every player drafter last year was a contributor in same way.

Since the coaching staff didn't pick Griffin and Dwyer, I am sure there were very good reasons.
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -04-25-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Huge difference between Griffin and Dwyer, and Selvie. Griffin was a projected 2nd round pick. Dwyer was mid-round projection. Selvie was a late round projection, despite being first round material a couple years ago. Griffin was continually passed up by his OWN college coach, and apparently has injury issues and is a primadonna. Dwyer has a very doubtful NFL future because he just doesn't have the physical ability and skills required of an NFL running back. Selvie has uber potential, particularly if the coaching staff can mold him into either a LB or DE, each will require it's own special work.
    This is kind of what I'm talking about. Your description of Griffen is only negative. Your description of Dwyer is only negative. Your description of Selvie is only positive.

It's fine if fans want to see the positive and be optimistic. I'm like that. But I think it's important to realize you're looking on the bright side. Again, I'm sure Vikings and Steelers fans right now are talking up how they were able to get those guys late in the draft as well.

Just about every analyst out there has clamored how great a value Gilyard and Selvie were.
    And I agreed, they were good value. I'm just not projecting Selvie as an opening day starter or calling Gilyard the next Holt/Bruce, as other fans have already begun doing. Expectations need to be tempered.

The point of the post was there is ZERO reason for me to grade the Rams draft and put a grade on each pick.
    At the current point I trust them, so all the players they drafted are A+ for me.

If there's no reason to grade them, then don't grade them. But you do, and give them all A+'s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Ok, that makes sense. Football wise thou if Smith's a better player at RT then at LT I'm not sure I would want to see him forced over due to his salary and draft status.

I do hear the other side though, should be interesting to see how they handle this line situation. I trust they'll make it work
    You trust in Who, and in What? We have no real owner yet and when we do devany and spags are probably gone.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

You trust in Who, and in What? We have no real owner yet and when we do devany and spags are probably gone.

Beer, where do you get this info at? Did Khan say something? No bust on you just currious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast