Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Tony Soprano's Avatar
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jersey
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,373
    Rep Power
    13

    Rex Ryan moving on up

    .
    Rex Ryan (Ravens) ... This guy can't do much more as a DEF COORD.

    I see his stock rising .. or it should, Ryan's D held the team with the Best record in the League to 10 points!'

    He's been fielding good defenses for a long time.

    This guy has seen everything from Offenses around the League.


    He reminds me somewhat of Madden. I think if he was a little younger and significantly lighter - he would've been a Head Coach years ago.



    .
    .
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -01-11-2009 at 12:26 AM.


  2. #2
    Curly Horns's Avatar
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    1st & Goal
    Posts
    2,557
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    .
    Rex Ryan (Ravens) ... This guy can't do much more as a DEF COORD.

    I see his stock rising .. or it should, Ryan's D held the team with the Best record in the League to 10 points!'

    He's been fielding good defenses for a long time.

    This guy has seen everything from Offenses around the League.


    He reminds me somewhat of Madden. I think if he was a little younger and significantly lighter - he would've been a Head Coach years ago.



    .
    .
    The ravens were fortunate that the titans were very careless with ball security.

    Ryan's defense was otherwise gutted by a 21st ranked offense with a rather simplistic scheme.

    I was not that impressed with ryan's scheme or game plan as a whole. However, the ravens do have very good defensive personnel. Still saw nothing today that would indicate that ryan would be a better head coach than other candidates. Totally unsure as to whether he could even put together a decent staff.

    Very overzealous and ludicrous to say that his stock is anything more than it was.



  3. #3
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    The ravens were fortunate that the titans were very careless with ball security.

    Ryan's defense was otherwise gutted by a 21st ranked offense with a rather simplistic scheme.

    I was not that impressed with ryan's scheme or game plan as a whole. However, the ravens do have very good defensive personnel. Still saw nothing today that would indicate that ryan would be a better head coach than other candidates. Totally unsure as to whether he could even put together a decent staff.

    Very overzealous and ludicrous to say that his stock is anything more than it was.



    Nice post i couldn't agree with you more.

  4. #4
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,071
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    .
    Rex Ryan (Ravens) ... This guy can't do much more as a DEF COORD.

    I see his stock rising .. or it should, Ryan's D held the team with the Best record in the League to 10 points!'

    He's been fielding good defenses for a long time.

    This guy has seen everything from Offenses around the League.


    He reminds me somewhat of Madden. I think if he was a little younger and significantly lighter - he would've been a Head Coach years ago.



    .
    .
    Geez Tony, ya'll got a man-crush or what? (um... somebody please stop playin' that banjo) Look unless R. Ryan is prepared to bring both Ray Lewis and Ed Reed with him I'm not drinkin' the kool aid for this guy. And maybe he should also try to bring Ozzie Newsome-the architect of Baltimore's tremendous defense-also.

    Think for a minute Tony, just why did Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan (both former D-Coordinators at Bal.) not only fail miserably as HC, BUT completely fail to build anything resembling an NFL quality defense? This just proves that neither of these clowns had anything to do with the continued success of the Ravens defense. And you can add Ryan's name to that list also. As they say in Jersey "Fuggetaboutit" Know what I mean?

    WHAT SAY YE?

  5. #5
    Tony Soprano's Avatar
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jersey
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,373
    Rep Power
    13

    Smile Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    The ravens were fortunate that the titans were very careless with ball security.

    Ryan's defense was otherwise gutted by a 21st ranked offense with a rather simplistic scheme.

    I was not that impressed with ryan's scheme or game plan as a whole. However, the ravens do have very good defensive personnel. Still saw nothing today that would indicate that ryan would be a better head coach than other candidates. Totally unsure as to whether he could even put together a decent staff.

    That rather "simplistic scheme" was good for 13 wins and No.1 seed.

    They give up 10 points on the Road to the No.1 Seed and no credit?

    Okay..


  6. #6
    bigfella is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Still saw nothing today that would indicate that ryan would be a better head coach than other candidates.
    I agree that todays performance by the Ravens defence was fairly average but come on it is evident that he is better than some of the other candidates like Winston Moss for example.

    Personally I like Ryan better than Jim Haslett who seems to be the favourite after annoucing to bring Martz bak.

  7. #7
    Curly Horns's Avatar
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    1st & Goal
    Posts
    2,557
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    That rather "simplistic scheme" was good for 13 wins and No.1 seed.
    So, what's the argument here, tony? This does not change the fact that it is a simplistic scheme.



    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    They give up 10 points on the Road to the No.1 Seed and no credit?

    Okay..

    The ravens defense gives up around 15 ppg on average. The titans about 14. The two teams aveage about 24 ppg. They played to the same score earlier in the year except the other team won. Rather boring game IMO, suppose some could stay awake though.

    The titans offense exceeded all the other averages that the ravens defense gives up. I believe I mentioned this. They were gutted everywhere except the scoreboard which is really no surprise looking at their average and the previous game. But the lack of a good game plan on the part of ryan was a surprise. Unless you are going to tell me you think ryan's gameplan hinged on the fact that he knew the titans would be careless with ball security and johnson would be injured?




    Quote Originally Posted by bigfella
    I agree that todays performance by the Ravens defence was fairly average but come on it is evident that he is better than some of the other candidates like Winston Moss for example.
    Certainly you are entitled to your opinion on the basis of your perceived evidence. Even though you made the effort to quote the exact phrase, it appears that you completely misunderstood what I wrote. I never indicated who I thought was better than who. I'll leave that up to people like yourself to decide since you all are clearly better at it than I am.



  8. #8
    evil disco man's Avatar
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,018
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Careless with ball security? Miami and Tennessee were No. 1 and No. 2 in turnover ratio. The Ravens forced 7 turnovers against those teams combined.

    Coincidence?

  9. #9
    Curly Horns's Avatar
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    1st & Goal
    Posts
    2,557
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    Careless with ball security?
    I suppose you could make a case that all 3 turnovers were forced. Personally, I think the 2 fumbles were careless ball security by white and crumpler. You're not going to come up with anything definitive there. You could attempt to make a case for the int being forced, but it's really not much to hang your hat on.

    Anyways, none of it proves that ryan will make a good head coach or that his stock is rising.

    You don't address anything else against the ravens defense. The titans were running the ball well with johnson, then he was injured. The titans also put up good numbers in the passing game. And I failed to mention all the dumb penalties the titans had. You going to make a case for those being forced?



  10. #10
    Grimm_Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    The Ravens were also lucky that Johnson could not play in the 2nd half because he was killing them in the first half.

  11. #11
    bigfella is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post


    Certainly you are entitled to your opinion on the basis of your perceived evidence. Even though you made the effort to quote the exact phrase, it appears that you completely misunderstood what I wrote. I never indicated who I thought was better than who. I'll leave that up to people like yourself to decide since you all are clearly better at it than I am.

    umm alright

  12. #12
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,827
    Rep Power
    92

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post

    They give up 10 points on the Road to the No.1 Seed and no credit?

    Okay..

    Certainly, Ryan deserves credit for calling the right plays at the right time, especially in regard to Blitzing downs and allowing Bart Scott to be a menace.

    BUT

    They gave up 10 points on the road to the number 1 seed who, I might add, have laid their foundations based on defense and running.

    They gave up 10 points on the road to the 21st ranked offense.

    They gave up 10 points on the road to a team that played without Chris Johnson in the second half, after he'd totaled 100 All Purpose in 30 minutes of play.

    They gave up nearly 200 more yards than the Titans did.

    They were very fortunate on those turnovers. The Collins INT was a result of good pressure, but Reed was Johnny on the Spot. The fumbles were not the result of playcalling, but individual effort, or lack thereof on behalf of the Titans players.

    They were fortunate that the Titans could not hold onto the ball. Alls I'm saying is that the greatest strength of that defense today was Tennessee's propensity to turn the ball over. Not the schemes, nor the defensive coaching. Ryan's playcalling didn't exactly 'force' turnovers this week, though it was very successful last week against Miami.

    Don't let the fact that 'They gave up ten points to the Number 1 Team in the NFL' fool you. There was much more to this game than that. I, for one, thought it a great game, highly entertaining defensive bout, and close right till the finish. A much better game than the Carolina Slopfest.

  13. #13
    NY RAMFAN's Avatar
    NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    381
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Certainly, Ryan deserves credit for calling the right plays at the right time, especially in regard to Blitzing downs and allowing Bart Scott to be a menace.

    BUT

    They gave up 10 points on the road to the number 1 seed who, I might add, have laid their foundations based on defense and running.

    They gave up 10 points on the road to the 21st ranked offense.

    They gave up 10 points on the road to a team that played without Chris Johnson in the second half, after he'd totaled 100 All Purpose in 30 minutes of play.

    They gave up nearly 200 more yards than the Titans did.

    They were very fortunate on those turnovers. The Collins INT was a result of good pressure, but Reed was Johnny on the Spot. The fumbles were not the result of playcalling, but individual effort, or lack thereof on behalf of the Titans players.

    They were fortunate that the Titans could not hold onto the ball. Alls I'm saying is that the greatest strength of that defense today was Tennessee's propensity to turn the ball over. Not the schemes, nor the defensive coaching. Ryan's playcalling didn't exactly 'force' turnovers this week, though it was very successful last week against Miami.

    Don't let the fact that 'They gave up ten points to the Number 1 Team in the NFL' fool you. There was much more to this game than that. I, for one, thought it a great game, highly entertaining defensive bout, and close right till the finish. A much better game than the Carolina Slopfest.
    Mmmmmmmmmm, I'm I missing something, or the field goal by Stover was purerly because the zebras forgot to penalize Flacco for delay of game?
    Plus, besides Jhonson being out, they played without Mawae . . . and that counted for at least 1 loss of downs and one play for negative yards. What I'm saying is that yesterday, the Titans defeated themselves. Any other team with 3+ turnovers would have lost by 20+ points (cards x pants), but yet the ravens barely won with help from the zebras . . . I'm still don't buying . . .
    I think that he is an excellent Def Coord, . . . in Tenesee with the HC he has and the personnel he has, I'm not sure he'll be a good HC anywere else.
    Last edited by NY RAMFAN; -01-11-2009 at 10:20 AM.

  14. #14
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,595
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    Guys, I am in favor of Ryan. Did his defense look bad in that game? Yes, but they still created the necessary turnovers and they still ultimately won the game...and gave up only 10 points. I think this is a different game if the Ravens get a bye week. They've been playing for over 13 weeks straight if I'm not mistaken and the game has taken a toll on a lot of the defensive player's bodies. I don't know if it's all Rex Ryan's schemes, I can't buy into that, personally. The Titans on the other hand had a bye week, and were fresh.

    So as far as poor defensive play is concerned, it's more of the players than the scheme. You guys know that he likes to blitz, and bring some heat. It's a philosophy we haven't had in seemingly many many years. Schwartz on the other hand doesn't like to blitz (not that he's a finalist, I'm just comparing), but he can get away with that because of his players. And perhaps Ryan to an extent too, but I still think that his philosophy will help a lot of the players we have on defense rather than a Schwartz minded defensive unit. Again, I want to see change, and I think considering our secondary certainly isn't spectacular by any means, a lot of pressure up for the QB certainly isn't a bad thing, and it SHOULD be glamourized for our D.


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  15. #15
    Tony Soprano's Avatar
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jersey
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,373
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Rex Ryan moving on up

    .

    No team that's played a full game yet in Post-Season has given up less points per game than Ryan's Defense.

    He's averaging giving up 9.5 points per game IN THE PLAYOFFS.



    .
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -01-11-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: -10-26-2007, 06:40 PM
  2. Ryan is trying to give others a good start
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -10-21-2007, 03:15 PM
  3. Ryan Proves Ready
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-19-2007, 06:57 PM
  4. Good Clifton Ryan article
    By Country in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-17-2007, 06:57 PM
  5. Ryan Makes Strong Impression Inside
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -08-15-2007, 07:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •