RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

RFS Grades of the '08 Draft (as of 4/27/08)

This draft looks to have filled a lot of our needs, and yet, some of the needs we, as fans, have seen are as of yet unfilled. One of the biggest needs we have been screaming about is Safety. Another was Linebacker. Yet another - a solid Defensive Tackle.

I'm not going to pretend that I know more about football than those who occupied the Rams War Room, nor will I question their motives (until later). What I will do is grade our picks based on what I have seen of our picks.

Rd. 1, #2: Chris Long. Arguably the best player in the draft. Will immediately make our defense look like a brick wall. Compare to a brick wall.

Rd. 2, #33: Donnie Avery. Not expected to be the first WR taken. Small, quick, and can add yards after the catch. Compare to a greased pig.

Rd. 3, #65: John Greco. I understand he plays with fire and passion. Small for a tackle, average size for a guard. Passion for the game may make him better at RT than Barron. Compare to an A-10.

Rd. 4, #101: Justin King. Since Bartell is probably going somewhere else next year, King makes sense. Good pick at this point in the draft. Quick, but doesn't always follow up on plays. Compare to....Bartell (for now).

Rd. 4, #128: Keenan Burton. Quick, productive and a steal at 128. Might factor in a lot this season. Compare to a border collie - fast, not too small, but can run like hell after he steals food from a bigger dog.

Rounds 5-7: Honestly, I haven't seen enough to know anything about these guys.

Grading on only our first 5 picks, I say we came out with an A, A-, B+, B+, A-. Overall: B+.

Now...BRING ON THE SEASON!!!!
    Last edited by RamsFanSam; -04-28-2008 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Corrected Beer-influenced mistakes.

Ramer Guest

Re: RFS Grades of the '08 Draft (as of 4/27/08)

I think this was one of our best drafts in a long time. I give them a B+. I will change it to an A when I see what Avery does for us on 08.!

itsguud is offline Registered User

Agreed. This draft was the best in a LONG time. I spent a LONG time wondering how we'd do in this draft and wondering if we'd get LONG... AND WE DID! FREAKIN SWEET!

The rest of the draft was very good as well. I think there were a couple of missed opportunities but when you compare it to years past it was a big improvement in the draft. Lets see if they all turn out like all-pros!

Go RAMS!

OC LAMB Guest

talk to me in 2 years.......the big ? as alaways is the #2 linehan pick...will avery prove to be better than every other receiver in the draft? cuz we could have had them all! and the OT over Conner at LB? talk to me in 2 years then I will know.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OC LAMB View Post
    talk to me in 2 years.......the big ? as alaways is the #2 linehan pick...will avery prove to be better than every other receiver in the draft? cuz we could have had them all! and the OT over Conner at LB? talk to me in 2 years then I will know.
    Conner? He was there for the taking. Why didn't we get him?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Mooselini Guest

I loved this draft. Best one ever. I loved it. I gave them an A this year. Devaney = God

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I give it an incomplete. Incomplete because no one has even took the field in a Rams uniform yet.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Ever the optimist i always feel positive about a rams season, but this was the first draft where i haven't sworn about a single pick (Leonard, Byrd etc). Loved the WRs chosen. Devin Thomas was the only WR i would have considered over Avery because of his size, but since Burton is there as well i can't complain. Justin King was a great pick as well, i think he'll be a better player than Wade or Bartell. And now there is great depth in the O-line.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ramer View Post
    I think this was one of our best drafts in a long time. I give them a B+. I will change it to an A when I see what Avery does for us on 08.!
    Very few rookie WR make an impact so you may want to give hime a couple of years.

I was very happy with this draft including the Avery pick. We got a small rocket who can run a 4.2 and immediately upgrade our special teams.....

The only big Question Mark for me was King. Not sure he will develop as a player in the NFL..... Although I do like his speed.

The theme of this years draft for positional players seems to be speed. Looks like Saunders is bringing back the GSOT......

Go Rams....